• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Latest Purchase

7 posts in this topic

This is my first CGC acquisition since early September 2014 but it's a big one. Captain Marvel Adventures #56 is my second ever 9.6 and it's an issue I've been eyeing literally for years and it's likely to be my biggest pickup for the next few years.

I may actually be picking up a second, far less costly, CMA issue within the next week but after that I may have another half year break as I gather my funds. I have a very strict budget and my purchases are all plotted out for the next few years barring changes in availability. My goal remains gaining the top position in Captain Marvel Adventures and issue 56 gives me a very nice 1800 registry points. Currently I need at least 1874 registry points per year to achieve the top spot within my 10 year plan and this single issue nearly gets me all the points I need for 2015. This comic will also put me back into the top 500 registry points which I have a goal of staying within.

I haven't added the issue to my registry yet because of something weird in the registry. When I go into an individual issue and modify the OWNER'S DESCRIPTION I have no problem. However, when I tried to add issue 56 by going into EDIT SET I got an error on 7 issues that I had exceeded the 6000 character limitation. I'm not sure why I can exceed 6000 in OWNER'S DESCRIPTION but not EDIT SET. The only solution I can see is to go into those 7 issues and modify the descriptions to get them under 6000 characters.

16426.jpg

See more journals by David Swan

A 9.6 from early 1946! Another item from the cover is " On sale every other Friday". Captain Marvel's popularity in those days was off the chart. I just received my latest purchases today and will post later but they are 9.4s from the early 70's. Which is great but a 9.6 from 46 is most impressive indeed!

I admit I don't get the registry thing at all. I have no desire to turn my hobby into a competition.

But I do know a stunning book when I see one, and that's one you have right there! :applause:

Congratulations on obtaining another special piece for your set.

I like the concept of a Cap diagnosed as crazy, the bearded doc with the magnifying glass is a nice touch.

The nice thing is that comicbookplus.com allows me to read these old public domain comics so I can find out what the story is.

David, that's an amazing piece right there...and yes, I said "piece" because that thing is a work of art and part of history. Imagine what steps the owner had to take to keep that thing in that condition. Very cool, thanks for sharing!