• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most over-valued Bronze Age issues?

26 posts in this topic

Seems like every week we see a discussion of under-valued comics. And it's tough to get real responses because any comic you truly feel is under-valued you are probably trying to stock up on. Revealing your secrets makes that a little difficult. I waited until I had ten copies of TOS #49 before I started telling my friends to pick it up because I frankly didn't want the competition. I'm sure we've all done the same thing.

But on the flip side, what Bronze Age comics do you think are the most over-valued? Ten years ago ASM #129 listed at 1.5x the price of X-Men 94 or Giant Size #1, and at just $40 less than Hulk 181. Which books do you think will not keep pace in the future?

I'll start with these, in alphabetical order:

Conan 3

Howard the Duck 13

Iron Fist 14

Star Wars 1 (35c variant)

X-Men 108

Thoughts? Comments? Diatribe?

In terms of actual EBay Dollars realized, not Guide:

Amazing Adventures 11

Daredevil 131

Fantastic Four 48

Amazing Spiderman 129

Iron Fist 14

Marvel Spotlight 5

Origin 1-6

All Marvel Ultimate Lines

Marvel Premiere 15

Once again, some of these are nice comics, but I feel they are overvalued at today's EBay price levels.

X-Men 108 will most certainly hold it's value - in fact, I expect it will continue to climb.

Story-wise it might not be super key, but for the love of God!!! It started the most famous era in a comic book title...well possibly ever.

I would like to know why you would think it to be over-valued, or might slip in value..

Star Wars 1 may be overvalued - even CGC 9.4s only get 1.2 to 1.5 times guide, far less than the bronze average.

Spectacular Spidey raises the same questions.

X-Men 137 is another interesting choice. It may be one of the greatest books of all time, but the supply of copies saved with loving care doesn't justify the guide price. All of these books suffer from oversupply.

I'm pretty sure the lower print runs (rumored), the decent covers, and the lack of a ton of H.G material made them more valuable. Also, they used to be worth in the hundred dollar range...can't recall why though.

Brian

Supa,

Only two of the ten copies are in pimptastic condition, the rest are in the VG- to Fine+ range. I don't know if you would want the rest of your books getting the idea they could slack off... gotta keep those standards up!

Actually, I am not suggesting that the books will drop in value. In fact I think most any of the books mentioned so far will rise. But will they rise as much as their peers?

Ten years ago ASM 238 listed at the same price as ASM 43-49... which would you rather have now in high grade?

Ten years ago DD 158 listed at double the price of BAT 232... would you rather have one of the four 9.8 Daredevil #158s or both of the two 9.8 Batman #232s?

All of these books have gone up in the last ten years. But some have gone up a lot more than others, and some have gone up very little at all.

"Amazing Adventures 11

Daredevil 131

Fantastic Four 48

Amazing Spiderman 129

Iron Fist 14

Marvel Spotlight 5

Origin 1-6

All Marvel Ultimate Lines

Marvel Premiere 15"

He said Bronze Age{/b], not CI age.

ALL 1970 and up Marvels are overpriced and over-rated EXCEPT for Spiderman 121, 122, 129, X-Men 94, XGS1, Hulk 181. The rest is all cannon-fodder with the exception of the scarcer price variants.

I won't argue--about 3% of 70's Marvels aren't common, making most overpriced. However, how can you claim these 6 aren't overpriced. They are the MOST overpriced. With the exception of X-men 94, none of them are particularly harder to find than other Marvels. In fact, they've probably been hoarded in such quantities, they're are probably more high-grade copies than most Marvels from the same time period. Their "value" depends solely on demand--supply is not a factor.

I think many of the early new X-Men books are ridiculously overpriced in high grade

(especially #97-99). They are not uncommon and yet CGC 9.4 and 9.6 copies fetch

hundreds of dollars. The issues surrounding those are also hopelessly overvalued...

#101 is a classic, but really those $460-type figures for 9.6 oww copies are just

outrageous.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the Thomas/Adams run on X-Men (#56-63) and I get

nauseous when I see #97-99 fetching prices in the same ballpark as that classic

run.

Gene

Although I agree that a lot of these books are overpriced...I don't agree with the if it's common then it shouldn't be valuable theory..just b/c a book isn't extremely rare doesn't mean there can't be a large enough fan base that all these issues of this particular common comic aren't bought up immediately..part of the reason they go for maybe more then they're worth is because there's so many people out there that want them...that despite them being common in terms of print runs..there's an "uncommon" demand for them making them not all that common at all smile.gif

Brian

Boys, boys. NOTHING IS OVERPRICED. There's a marketplace dynamic here. Things go for what they go for...the happy "invisible hand" of capitalism eventually pushes prices to an equilibrium price. If you think X-Men 97 is overpriced, don't buy it. If you're right, the price will come down. If you're wrong, well, you didn't waste your money.

let me just be clear - there are many books that I believe are too expensive for what they are, but if there's a buyer for them at price A, that's what the price is. Eventually, if all of you doomsayers are correct, price A will drop 50%.