• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo - The Show Nobody Wants To Go To?

104 posts in this topic

I'm using going to get my free ticket on Saturday, as I bought the three day pass last year.

I'll be done in 4 hours max

The problem with Fan Expo Vancouver is they wanted to be considered one of the "bigger boys on the block" right out of the gate with regards to conventions. After their second year they felt it was big enough to make it three days, this show just isn't a three day event. Exhibitor booth charges have jumped considerably, having been around $300 the first year, and now jumping up to nearly $700 for the same booth and their booths are only 8x8, whereas the norm is 10x10.

Last year I was pretty surprised at the amount of empty/dead space on the floor, there was a huge area that was designed for people to queue up but it wasn't needed at all. Exhibitors seemed crammed together and some of the exhibitors I overheard were not pleased at the emphasis on the media guests and that some just felt like they were tossed in the corner. Plus it doesn't appear they bother to promote the exhibitors setting up at their show on their website.

The exhibitor areas seemed very cluttered and crammed together too much, booths didn't even look like they were 8x8 but actually smaller. Exhibitors are generally from Canada, very few US dealers mostly because getting across the border can be hit or miss, and there can be heavy fees charged to get into Canada when you are going up to sell. Getting back into the USA is fairly easy, generally you have to pay a fee which is less than $15 but getting into Canada can be a pain if you are bringing product up to sell.

This show is generally right after ECCC, in this year's case, it's the weekend after ECCC, the same weekend as Sakura-Con in Seattle, Norwescon in Seattle, and WonderCon in Anaheim. It will probably be a heavily attended show though, media guest list is impressive for a show this size, they could have some bigger comic names though. With regards to the exclusives, some seem to be ones offered at past FanExpo shows. But Vancouver is a beautiful city and lots of really good people up there so it's a fairly fun event to attend, it should continue to grow, I just feel the booths need to be a bit more affordable or larger for the prices they charge.

To be fair, the Fan Expo Canada (Toronto) booth size is also 8' x 8' but they get attendance over 100k while Vancouver's attendance is stalling at about 23k over 2.5 day Easter comic-con. Unfortunately, I don't think Fan Expo Vancouver will ever reduce booth prices under $700 + taxes now. :frustrated:

We will be there :acclaim:

Less than 15 Days to go :banana:

Sweet, I need Standard Mylite 2's & Fullbacks please. Maybe some Mylite 2's for CGC books too. hm

HOTFLIPS, you really are coming to Vancouver here? I also want to buy some supplies like as above. :wishluck:

The only mylites we will have there are silver/gold and a handful of full back, first come first serve,, you will have to wait until our shipment comes in

I would need the mylites for silver/gold.

The only mylites we will have there are silver/gold and a handful of full back, first come first serve,, you will have to wait until our shipment comes in
How's the mylar situation? Have to decide if I want to wait or just get it at Emerald City.

How's the mylar situation? Have to decide if I want to wait or just get it at Emerald City.

None will be at emerald city

OK, I'll just wait until later in the year...hopefully by Heroes

Your in a slump groggy , won't be at heroes

Your in a slump groggy , won't be at heroes

Ok.....Chicago where I will load up...unless you actually have supplies in San Diego.

To be fair, the Fan Expo Canada (Toronto) booth size is also 8' x 8' but they get attendance over 100k while Vancouver's attendance is stalling at about 23k over 2.5 day Easter comic-con. Unfortunately, I don't think Fan Expo Vancouver will ever reduce booth prices under $700 + taxes now. :frustrated:

I Just came back from the Toronto show....It was surprisingly not busy (shrug)

Unless they have a great afternoon and a huge Sunday I don't see them hitting the 100k number this time hm