• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo - The Show Nobody Wants To Go To?

104 posts in this topic

Any other bigger 2-3 day comicons in Western USA usually slated for Veterans/ Remembrance Day weekend 2016? Else I don't see how moving the Vancouver Fan Expo show to November will help get artists/inkers to actually show up to :pullhair: a city where it rains every day in November.

Also, the Vancouver Comic Show is usually at the end of Oct. plus the 2 day Ifcon (Sci-fi, horror, cosplay, some comic artist/inkers) in Victoria, BC is always on Hallowe'en weekend.

After SDCC each year it seems conventions start to become scarce until the Fall. We still don't know the dates for Rose City 2016 in Portland Oregon, this year it's mid-September but next year it could be earlier or later in the month or even in October. Other than that we have smaller shows such as Jet City (end of October) and Bellingham Comic Book Show which is one day the third week of October.

I don't think rain will keep creators away, if that was the case, nobody would come to Seattle, but it could be the time of year, I will admit November can be dreary. There used to be a one-day show in Portland years ago and was right before Thanksgiving and people would show up to buy Christmas presents early so it may be a big hit in Vancouver.

I am curious what it would be like if they had the Vancouver show in August, it would certainly get a jump on the Fall shows in Seattle/Portland.

May be a bit hard to get quality guests to visit Vancouver, as Wizard Chicago con is around Aug. 20-23. Also a local 100 table comic-centric Vancouver Comic Show is in middle of August.

Even our small Vancouver Heritage Hall will be selling shoes, not comics. On a sad note, 1 of my LCS just closed April 1, 2015:

xxJ89dW.jpg

Never heard of Time Warp? Well that is why they closed, as no guerilla marketing skills or substantial personal collection of Star Wars, comics, dvd's to supply the store with.

Too busy digging through long boxes to attend any Vancouver Fan expo panels? Here is a nice link to hear the wisdom of Lance Hendriksen (Aliens movies), and see Vancouver's Desu dolls at <3 cosplay:

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Video+Cosplay+cram+session+with+Vancouver+Desu+Dolls/10938778/story.html

See you in November, 2016.

Yes, just got confirmation in email from fan expo. Guess that decided wherr to go for spring 2016 ... to ECCC!

I will continue go to Vancouver Comic shows during this year.