• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo - The Show Nobody Wants To Go To?

104 posts in this topic

Lego for the kid in me: Imperial Destroyer pics.

xQ3OjbO.jpg

Fan Expo also had the Delorean from Back to the Future but I like Star Wars better:

49VXYS4.jpg

This Destroyer is in the show now?! Cool, I'm a big Lego fan myself and also Star Wars fan too... a win-win for me to go. :banana:

Steve Sadowski (DC and independent press comic artist) showing as cancelled. Would say this Expo has about 1/4 the square footage of ECCC's 2 main comic-con ball rooms but still fun to shop. See you there.

Think that Chinese Star Wars poster may be a repro due to low price and smaller than 27 inch x 41 inch one-sheet normal size:

That dealer offering the Chinese Star Wars specializes in reproductions, not originals. Curious who the dealer is that is selling authentic ones that you mentioned, if you get the name, let me know. Also regarding the Warner Games booth, let me know if they are selling anything or giving anything away related to the upcoming Arkham Knight video game. Thanks!

Sorry, I am too old to game so not sure if they have sample Dark Knight game for fans to play at the Expo. Saw some gamers trying out something.

George Perez cancelled for this weekend so not sure if I have a reason to attend on Sat.

Canadian Comics.net and part of their wall rack:

FloGilx.jpg

Don't think I even saw a Hulk #181 in Vancouver.

ZSxSk6n.jpg

Hotflips undercutting another vendor badly by selling polybags 100 pack for $5 Cdn including taxes. Good deal. Mylites were 7.75 inch wide.

I get my price trends from Jigglypig Chad:

SAVzCwB.jpg

Comicage used to have an island of 10+ booths at Vancouver Fan Expo. They have now downsized to one (1) booth showing their confidence in the Vancouver market.

Fan Expo for 2016 will be moved to Sept, 2016 so that Vancouver may be able to attract and hold guests that actually show up to Canada. Keep in mind, the April calendar is opening up as the bigger Calgary Expo (not run by Reed Productions) is slotted for April 28 to May 1, 2016.

Anthill Books Nels also had a low grade All-Star 1 for sale. He will be at Calgary expo April, 2015.

s092vbb.jpg

Harley's 3 helpers set up their wall rack too slowly. When I left the con at 1:30 pm, they only had 1/2 their wall comics up.

1 vendor was still selling 1st prints of Spider-Gwen 1, Scottie Young variant, Silk 1 at cover price. He also had Darth Vader 3 at $8 Cdn which is a fair price for new hot comic. Convergence 0 at $4 Cdn instead of $5 retail.

Fan Expo Promotions, please don't give up hope on the Vancouver, BC market. :wishluck:

Went there today and I have to say it's not too bad. I'd be surprised if the attendance total will surpass last year's... I think it might, but not sure.

Will post some photos after eating. (thumbs u

Was at the show for a few hours today & had a pretty good time. Didn't buy any comics, just bought a couple cheap trades from Golden Age Collectables, a Batman black & white statue that I was looking for & a Batman poster from Mike Zeck. Had a good conversation with him & mentioned that I recalled meeting him back in 1991 at a Hotel Vancouver show. He remembered that show & one thing in particular stuck in his mind...Doug Flutie was at the table next to him. I guess this was during the big sports card boom, hence Flutie's presence. I told him I didn't recall that, but I did remember that a hot blonde was with him lol. We had a good chuckle about that. Walked around looking for the hot flips booth but couldn't find it. Guess I should've looked harder, but we had dinner reservations at the Keg so we had to go. Attendance seemed decent, tomorrow should be the busiest day of the weekend.

154270.jpg.a623359874efaaf233f3880769c4b351.jpg

154271.jpg.508f59d86df3719b5c2ce1f12f7d0863.jpg

154272.jpg.06c5c113e5394e4df3893b5f5d7103b0.jpg

154273.jpg.8206fa09f9123d4d3db3b51bb5e6ea0d.jpg

I will try get a photo out of my cellphone to post here. I did tried to find HotFlips with the number #638 but can't find. There were 2 booths with same materials. I brought some bronze Action comics, couple Archies and one hard-to-find Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer 1957-58 edition.

So, I'll see you at Calgary Expo next week! :hi:

Hotflips had a corner booth across from artist alley: back of the vendor area. His polybags state Hotflips brand.

Mike Zeck charging $5/signature but better to buy a cover art repro print (MSH Secret Wars 1 vol. 1) or his hardcover original art book which gets u 3 sigs thrown in that way you can get a Punisher, MSH Secret Wars 8, or Deathstroke (thumbs u comic signed too.

Hotflips had a corner booth across from artist alley: back of the vendor area. His polybags state Hotflips brand.

Mike Zeck charging $5/signature but better to buy a cover art repro print (MSH Secret Wars 1 vol. 1) or his hardcover original art book which gets u 3 sigs thrown in that way you can get a Punisher, MSH Secret Wars 8, or Deathstroke (thumbs u comic signed too.

Yeah I should've looked harder or checked out the floorplan guide. Do you know if they had Gerber supplies (Mylite 2's, Fullbacks)?

Was at the show for a few hours today & had a pretty good time. Didn't buy any comics, just bought a couple cheap trades from Golden Age Collectables, a Batman black & white statue that I was looking for & a Batman poster from Mike Zeck. Had a good conversation with him & mentioned that I recalled meeting him back in 1991 at a Hotel Vancouver show. He remembered that show & one thing in particular stuck in his mind...Doug Flutie was at the table next to him. I guess this was during the big sports card boom, hence Flutie's presence. I told him I didn't recall that, but I did remember that a hot blonde was with him lol. We had a good chuckle about that. Walked around looking for the hot flips booth but couldn't find it. Guess I should've looked harder, but we had dinner reservations at the Keg so we had to go. Attendance seemed decent, tomorrow should be the busiest day of the weekend.

Yeah I remember that con with Zeck back in 1991, and Flutie was sitting next to him I think he was signing boxes of Flutie Flakes cereal. Nice Batman additions you got there, Zeck is a great Batman artist, but charging $5 a signature for items people don't purchase from him? Ouch.