• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadowhawk for Super Nintendo

18 posts in this topic

It was released by Rose Colored Gaming on February 6th. Shortly after that it came to light that it crossed the line of copyright infringement.

The game has vanished, the ROM will likely see the same fate.

Rose Colored Gaming only made 100 copies for release but they didn't sell out at the time of release.

What happened to the remaining copies?

How many copies did the public get their hands on?

How many remain unopened?

Will this become one of the rarest and sought after Super Nintendo games?

Do you have a copy?

It's Shadowhawk. Does anyone really give a spoon?

Same thing can be said about all the clowns scrabbling to get Sleepwalker #1 and Darkhawk #1.

You completely missed the point, you gloss over the important details and questions outlined above that make the game a collector's item.

Rarity is another huge component in driving interest and demand in

the marketplace.

Same thing can be said about all the clowns scrabbling to get Sleepwalker #1 and Darkhawk #1.

You completely missed the point, you gloss over the important details and questions outlined above that make the game a collector's item.

the marketplace.

Can someone explain to me why there is so much hype surrounding sleepwalker and Darkhawk ? What am I failing to see with those characters?

the marketplace.

Can someone explain to me why there is so much hype surrounding sleepwalker and Darkhawk ? What am I failing to see with those characters?

No one gave a ruts butt about those books until they went from $1.00 or less book to overnight speculation book.

At the end of the day it's a turd, polish it all you want, they're still turds.

Getting a little off topic by my own account now.

So does anyone have answers to the original questions about the Shadowhawk Super Nintendo game?

the marketplace.

No one gave a ruts butt about those books until they went from $1.00 or less book to overnight speculation book.

At the end of the day it's a turd, polish it all you want, they're still turds.

Getting a little off topic by my own account now.

So does anyone have answers to the original questions about the Shadowhawk Super Nintendo game?

Not a one. But I think I remember reading something about this game as a kid when all things Image were the bee's knees. So, I am monitoring the thread to see if anyone else has some more info. Hey, I am interested in the topic.

I think it's very interesting.

The game was to be released in the 90's but was never complete

and put on the shelf when Super Nintendo stopped being produced.

Then apparently, a company bought the game but not the licensing from

Image and they produced or said they were going to produce 100 copies

and then it vanished.

It's such an interesting back story tangled with legalities that the copies

that made it to the public are going to be extremely rare.

I saw that too. Surprised it didn't get yanked before it was purchased.

That is also an open copy. Albeit, still very desirable.

It was released by Rose Colored Gaming on February 6th. Shortly after that it came to light that it crossed the line of copyright infringement.

Rose Colored Gaming only made 100 copies for release but they didn't sell out at the time of release.

Do you have a copy?

I've been collecting nintendo pretty seriously since 2002.

My buddy (he is on these boards in fact) originally bought a shadowhawk prototype from someone working on the project - at least 5 years ago and maybe 10. He had the image employee sign a statement that spelled out who he was and what was being sold, etc.

Since then its traded hands a few times til it made its way to a homebrew/repro maker, rose colored gaming.

Valentino apparently heard about it and I suppose he wasn't pleased leading to action on his part. My buddy got a call from one of his people asking for details, etc.

That part you mostly know.

What you are really asking about is the potential market.

Keep in mind, this is a repro. What is meant by that is that somebody took the prototype, dumped it, and made unauthorized copies. This happens pretty regularly as there are a lot more games that went unfinished than you would think. People also do translations of japan only games, etc. This is a separate niche market from the greater nintendo market. It has its fans but keep in mind there are also great swaths of collectors who don't give a about games that weren't official releases, and weren't released in the lifetime of the system.

Its a little bit like somebody making copies in their garage of some unpublished kirby work 20 years after the fact. Its a rare comic but its not a really a marvel and not really a comic at all and totally a garage project.

There IS a decent scene for this stuff, but its niche. $300 or whatever it went for is a lot for a repro. Most are $100 and less. I think it will hold some value given that probably not too many (25? I think there were about that many preorders) made it to the public.

So, I think its an interesting enough but also niche little collectible that will have some value and grow nicely over time, but its not going to be king of the nintendo hill any time soon. It may be an above average item in the smaller repro market though. 25 copies may sound excruciatingly rare by comic standards but it's not as atypical as you would think. 50 or 100 copies is a pretty normal print run for these projects

I don't have a copy but I post about it the day before it went on sale here. Wonder if anyone took my advice. Did you buy one Red Hood?

Do you have a copy?

I've been collecting nintendo pretty seriously since 2002.

My buddy (he is on these boards in fact) originally bought a shadowhawk prototype from someone working on the project - at least 5 years ago and maybe 10. He had the image employee sign a statement that spelled out who he was and what was being sold, etc.

Since then its traded hands a few times til it made its way to a homebrew/repro maker, rose colored gaming.

Valentino apparently heard about it and I suppose he wasn't pleased leading to action on his part. My buddy got a call from one of his people asking for details, etc.

That part you mostly know.

What you are really asking about is the potential market.

Keep in mind, this is a repro. What is meant by that is that somebody took the prototype, dumped it, and made unauthorized copies. This happens pretty regularly as there are a lot more games that went unfinished than you would think. People also do translations of japan only games, etc. This is a separate niche market from the greater nintendo market. It has its fans but keep in mind there are also great swaths of collectors who don't give a about games that weren't official releases, and weren't released in the lifetime of the system.

Its a little bit like somebody making copies in their garage of some unpublished kirby work 20 years after the fact. Its a rare comic but its not a really a marvel and not really a comic at all and totally a garage project.

There IS a decent scene for this stuff, but its niche. $300 or whatever it went for is a lot for a repro. Most are $100 and less. I think it will hold some value given that probably not too many (25? I think there were about that many preorders) made it to the public.

So, I think its an interesting enough but also niche little collectible that will have some value and grow nicely over time, but its not going to be king of the nintendo hill any time soon. It may be an above average item in the smaller repro market though.

I don't have a copy but I post about it the day before it went on sale here. Wonder if anyone took my advice. Did you buy one Red Hood?

Great info, Bronty!

Thank you for the market analysis and explanation.

It helps paint a clear picture.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy but it's a very unique cross-genre

item and I think it's very desirable.

Well perhaps so if there is comic collector interest then there won't be enough copies to go around. Still, the duck tales remastered giveaways are a better cross genre item in my view. Better subject matter (classic game, classic cartoon, also a comic tie in) and issued directly from the actual publisher (the equivalent of being out out officially by marvel not a garage project).

Briefly they put a version of the new duck tales game on re painted vintage cartridges and included some other items. I don't personally go for any if this stuff but I like that one better and so far the market agrees with them going around 1500 or 2000 IIRC. There were 75 or so for North America and an equal number for Europe. It being an official capcom (think marvel) project makes a huge difference IMO.

Here's one, but zero feedback seller, and missing a piece from the package, ended at $1k http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducktales-Remastered-Press-Kit-LunchBox-/331477516270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2d997fee&nma=true&si=IWxdCQSrdU4U0NxUh0ruYaI1nMc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Timewalk stuff has gone through the roof, and those are repros. Basically every title they produced goes for $100-600 now. It's insane.

I bought eight or nine titles directly from them while they were still open, and the prices only a few years later are pretty eye catching.

Very cool stuff.

Quite the interesting market place for games.

Although I can see your point, Bronty.

I believe as October and Chip have pointed out.

Some of this repro stuff appears to take off too.

I can see why some would stay true to the real company release but

when done right and with such an interesting back story as the Shadowhawk game was supposed to be released during the 90's and now pulled completely due to copyright infringements it makes me think this could be one that draws more attention then repros that came before it.

Timewalk stuff has gone through the roof, and those are repros. Basically every title they produced goes for $100-600 now. It's insane.

I bought eight or nine titles directly from them while they were still open, and the prices only a few years later are pretty eye catching.

Like I said, there's a decent market for this stuff, but its niche. The time walk stuff has done well but a) those have done much better than average b) I wonder how well they will do long term when already priced higher c) how hard can it be for these to be faked when they are made today with today's materials. Not very. It takes time and knowledge to fake and nobody's going to bother for $300 but what about $3000? At $3k a pop you'll see time walk knock offs and you'll have a person_without_enough_empathy of a time telling them from the real thing 2c

That, IMO, is one limiting factor on the future value of these things. The other is the value of the prototypes themselves (generally under $1k). Why would you spend $3k on the repro if the proto is $1k? You could argue that the repro market will drag up the entire proto market I guess, but to me its a stretch.

Lastly, the current profile of the buyer for this kind of stuff is the type that will spend a couple hundred, maybe a few hundred, on something, but not more. I haven't seen the higher profile collectors that will spend thousands on the right items showing any interest at all in these, for the most part. If you have gamer vs collector as a spectrum with gamers only playing games and collectors only collecting, my take is they appeal closer to to the gamer end of the spectrum than other high end stuff which is fine but it's also typically the sub $1000 portion of the market

I'm not trying to krap all over this. I think its a neat item that will do reasonably well maybe even very well. I am just trying to keep the discussion balanced and realistic. 2c