• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

You do realize you have a better chance of finding Amazing 300 NM in a $1.00 box than I or anyone else does at finding a copy of that not already in someones collection!?!?!

However, I do advise you to read the whole arc 17-21, and the prose story at the end of 21.

Here are the RI covers for the whole arc. 17, 18, 20, and 21 are 1:10 and easier to find, but not easy.

153973.jpg.de730b5c95b396bbe4501d5c799c3c14.jpg

IDW is doing great and working with Hasbro so we might actually get to see a Megatron Autobot figure like he appears in the current issues.

If anyone wants a more current jump on point, now would be it. A 3rd Ongoing series will come out on Wednesday, and is part 2 of the Combiner Wars crossover.

So how rare is the RI of windblade on the cover?? I think it's transformer #26? Can't find that anywhere

Mcduck71 pointed out that MTMTE #26 is a little hard to come by. Windblade Vol 2 is now the 3rd ongoing IDW Transformers title. Fembots rule.

The "COMBINER WARS" have also just started. So far, Devastator took a few hundred thousand years to work. Menasor was not able to work all that well, and Superion was a spontaneous Gestalt. 3 combiners, and now they have a way of making more.

here is the 1st appearance of Windblade RI cover.

153983.jpg.5a988094dab28864c26a11ba7758a888.jpg

This title is an acquired taste, you either have love for it or have pretty much ignored it! haha

I know readership is low, but does anyone have any slabs to share? Any raws that are RI or RE covers, or cool one off sketch covers even?

This title is an acquired taste, you either have love for it or have pretty much ignored it! haha

I know readership is low, but does anyone have any slabs to share? Any raws that are RI or RE covers, or cool one off sketch covers even?

I pick up a RI whenever I come across one. I'll check which ones I have.

So I got the app scribd. They offer a free month and have TONS of titles. I'm reading transformers and turtles after.

I'm using this site as a reading guide.

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/guide.php?s=readingguide

So.... any new readers jump on any of the IDW Transformers G1 Continuity titles?

Combiner Wars just finished in the IDW books with 2 Epilogue chasers. The Toy Onslaught is not even close to being over, and the best news straight from SDCC 2015 is we FINALLY GET AN IDW ANIMATED SERIES! Coming to Machinima.

Article HERE

UltraMaximus, I see that you are looking for a Primacy #2 Montreal CC. There is one for sale on ebay right now from Canada.

I don't know if the Six Shot RIB cover is difficult to find. Granted, when IDW used to run an ebay store, I bought a ton of variants off them. All of Escaltion, Devastation, Stormbringer, and the Spotlight variants through the Revelation storyline. Admittedly, I got out of comics for a few years. I got back into it a few years ago, and IDW has really outdone themselves with the Transformers brand. MTMTE #19RI was a tough one to get. The white whale now is #22 RI from the 2009 series. I've been trying to like crazy to find anyone with any info about it. The best I've come up with is that IDW said it exists. So, that's all I've been able to go on. If anyone has any leads for it, throw them out there.

UltraMaximus, I see that you are looking for a Primacy #2 Montreal CC. There is one for sale on ebay right now from Canada.

Thanks for the heads up on that book. I may nab it.

I don't know if the Six Shot RIB cover is difficult to find. Granted, when IDW used to run an ebay store, I bought a ton of variants off them. All of Escaltion, Devastation, Stormbringer, and the Spotlight variants through the Revelation storyline. Admittedly, I got out of comics for a few years.

Six Shot RI-B has been for sale, I've just missed it.

I got back into it a few years ago, and IDW has really outdone themselves with the Transformers brand. MTMTE #19RI was a tough one to get. The white whale now is #22 RI from the 2009 series. I've been trying to like crazy to find anyone with any info about it. The best I've come up with is that IDW said it exists. So, that's all I've been able to go on. If anyone has any leads for it, throw them out there.

Indeed Self titled #22 is the White Whale of TF books! MTMTE #19 RI is my favorite book, I have owned 3 copies. Never more than 2 at one time though.

As for the white whale scenario...........22RI was released 1 week prior to issue #22's regular release date, at SDCC 2011. It has a different Previews code, and not the traditional barcode numbering that would be for a variant released same day as the regular cover a/b's as well. I have only had one store figure this out, and start looking for it. I have messaged IDW and they have no clue how to get a hold of it.

So I wish you luck on fishing for that whale, if you catch 2, drop me a line. I will do the same!

Great thread! I loved the cartoon as a kid, and the cartoon movie still rocks.

A couple of questions about continuity since you seem so knowledgeable...

Are all the comics in the same continuity?

If not, which series belong in the same continuity?

Do the marvel series and UK series share the same continuity?

My assumption is that every company (Marvel, Image, dreamwave, Devil's Due,IDW) each have their own continuity and all the books published under those publishers share the same universe with other books made by the same publisher...But then I noticed that there's an IDW book that takes up the old Marvel numbering, so now I'm not sure about the whole thing.

Also, I just bought a guy's collection recently that had the following:

Dreamwave series:

1st regular series #1-6

2nd regular series #1-6

Generation 1 #0,1-10

The War Within #1-6

The War Within the Dark Ages #1-6

The War Within: The age of Wrath #1-3

Micromasters #1-4

More than Meets the eye #1-8

Armada #1-6

Transformers/GI Joe #1-6

Image series:

Transformers/GI joe #1-6

Devil's Due series

GI Joe vs Transformers : The Art of War #1-5

GI Joe vs Transformers II #1-4

IDW Series:

Regular series #0 (4 different covers) #1-31

New Avengers/Transformers #1-4

Transformers/GI Joe Divided Front #1 (3 different covers)

Devastation #1-6

Infiltration #1-6

Escalation #1-6

Stormbringer #1-4

Heartbreaker #1-4

Focus on Decepticons #1

The Animated movie #1-4

Maximum Dinobots #1-5

All Hail Megatron #1-16

IronHide #1-2

Bumblebee #1,4

Target 2006 #1-5

Spotlight : Galvatron #1, Thundercracker #1, Megatron #1, Soundwave #1, Ramjet #1, Shockwave #1, Sixshot #1, Cyclonus #1, Bumblebee #1, Optimus Prime 3-D #1, Wheelie #1, Blaster #1, Kup #1, Prowl #1, Ultra Magnus #1, Hot Rod #1, NIghtbeat #1, Optimus Prime #1, Hardhead #1, Sideswipe #1, Doubledealer #1.

The best of the UK Space Pirates #1-5, Dinobots #1-6, City of fear 1-6, Prey #1-5, Time Wars #1-5. (these are reprints of the super awesome UK series)

Transformers (original Marvel series) #1-80

306 total issues

I was actually planning on putting them in a sale's thread soon, but now I'm torn lol

Any of these must reads?

Nope. Dreamwave is a continuation mixture of Cartoon/Comics. It takes place after the American Season 4 episodes (Headmaster movie) (which never happened exactly like that in Japan.) It is an amalgamated weird universe).

Marvel had Marvel (USA) and Marvel UK. US was 1-80, UK however would reprint US stories and add UK stand alones as well. Way more issues. Marvel's 2nd series was Generation 2. Some IDW books are Reprints of old Marvel issues, and Target 2005 was a UK Only Story that IDW reprints. Titan also did a slew of Reprints of Marvel and Marvel UK stuff.

IDW Started in 2005, with a fresh, modern take on the properties after Dreamwave lost the license, and didn't pay their Artists. New Origin Story, and Optimus doesn't even show up until Issue #6 of Infiltration, on the last page!

Marvel 1-80, and IDW Regeneration One 80.5 - 100 +0 = Original Marvel Run.

Marvel Generation 2, act as if Regeneration One does not exist.

YES, to a degree, There were stories published UK only that never made it to American print via Marvel. They do all connect in some way.

My assumption is that every company (Marvel, Image, dreamwave, Devil's Due,IDW) each have their own continuity and all the books published under those publishers share the same universe with other books made by the same publisher...But then I noticed that there's an IDW book that takes up the old Marvel numbering, so now I'm not sure about the whole thing.

That again would be Transformers Regeneration One. Issues 80.5-100 were written by the same team on issue 80 when Marvel Axed them. After Vol. 1 was canceled, they then were put on to Generation 2 and invented Jhiaxus as a villain (Gee, Axe Us was the joke since Marvel canceled books in a way that can inspire a creative team to make a character name from it).

Regeneration One being done actually Ret-Con'd all 12 issues of Transformers Generation 2 and made them an "Alternate Reality".

Dreamwave series:

1st regular series #1-6

2nd regular series #1-6

Generation 1 #0,1-10

The War Within #1-6

Micromasters #1-4

Armada #1-6

Transformers/GI Joe #1-6

War Within Is good, but there are some of these books that were never finished because of Dreamwave's owner, and TF Artist, Pat Lee. I don't pay money for these books because many artists were burned by these books. I'll read em, but won't buy them.

Image series:

Transformers/GI joe #1-6

Devil's Due series

IDW Series:

Regular series #0 NOTE:#0 is actually Infiltration #0(4 different covers) #1-31

New Avengers/Transformers #1-4 Stand Alone Except introducing Ramjet

Devastation #1-6

Infiltration #1-6

Escalation #1-6

Stormbringer #1-4

Heartbreaker #1-4

Focus on Decepticons #1

The Animated movie #1-4

Maximum Dinobots #1-5

All Hail Megatron #1-16

IronHide #1-2

Bumblebee #1,4

Target 2006 #1-5

Spotlight : Galvatron #1, Thundercracker #1, Megatron #1, Soundwave #1, Ramjet #1, Shockwave #1, Sixshot #1, Cyclonus #1, Bumblebee #1, Optimus Prime 3-D #1, Wheelie #1, Blaster #1, Kup #1, Prowl #1, Ultra Magnus #1, Hot Rod #1, NIghtbeat #1, Optimus Prime #1, Hardhead #1, Sideswipe #1, Doubledealer #1.

The best of the UK Space Pirates #1-5, Dinobots #1-6, City of fear 1-6, Prey #1-5, Time Wars #1-5. (these are reprints of the super awesome UK series)

306 total issues

I was actually planning on putting them in a sale's thread soon, but now I'm torn lol

Any of these must reads?

I read them all, but only collect a few Non IDW G1 Continuity stuff.

A MUST READ that is not listed is Last Stand Of The Wreckers #1-6 or Hardcover Edition.

Others:

2009 Self Titled Ongoing #22 and #23, First James Roberts Writings for main book.

Entire More Than Meets the Eye Run by IDW.

IDW has 2 Ongoings still going at issue 44 each.

MTMTE

And Formerly Robots In Disguise, now self titled Transformers due to new cartoon getting a book too and taking the RID name) . A 3rd Ongoing, "'Till All Are One" is coming when Windblade Vol. 2 Finishes at issue #7.

IDW starts here though.....

#0 is Infiltration #0. Followed by Infiltration 1-6. This was IDW's Opener and runs simultaneously with Stormbringer #1-4 (MUST READ). This shows the IDW Universe from the Space and Earth perspectives.

Escalation is next.

Devastation is the 3rd story. There are numerous Spotlight issues that run along at the same time, the wiki page has the correct reading order. There are then 4 Spotlight issues used for the 4th Story Arc called Revelations:

Spotlight Issues for #1 Double Dealer #2 Hardhead #3 Cylconus #4 Sideswipe.

Winding down with Maximum Dinobots, then started to wind down on the work of the writer who closed out the Marvel Run. It set up a lot of things and then a new creative team came on for a 12 issue, extened to 16 issue run with All Hail Megatron. Introduced Drift (Fan Built Bot), then Last Stand of the Wreckers which everyone should read, the the 2009 ongoing.

Some good, Don Fig's Prime and Megatron redesigns, and bad, the writing of an Emo Prime, with the ongoing, but the best is issues #22-23. Conclude the 2009 series Then followed by the DEATH OF OPTIMUS PRIME. This leads us to both current series' still going.

Talk about Torn! lol When i got back into collecting, I said I am only going to collect Transformers....we all know what happened next.......

I won't be hitting a convention until mid September. I have talked with Graham Crackers, Mile High, and a bunch of local stores in Ohio concerning #22RI. Graham Crackers is passing the word to a guy who will supposedly check during Wizard World Chicago. I've never seen a pic of the book other than the promo shot. I'll pass the word if I come across a couple copies.

The only other issues that are eluding me are Transformers #9 Auto Assembly, Spotlight: Orion Pax RI and Spotlight: Nightbeat Botcon exclusive. The only one I've not seen is Orion Pax RI.

Thanks so much for typing this out. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I have a bunch of doubles of stuff, so I'm going to read those.

Nope. Dreamwave is a continuation mixture of Cartoon/Comics. It takes place after the American Season 4 episodes (Headmaster movie) (which never happened exactly like that in Japan.) It is an amalgamated weird universe).

Marvel had Marvel (USA) and Marvel UK. US was 1-80, UK however would reprint US stories and add UK stand alones as well. Way more issues. Marvel's 2nd series was Generation 2. Some IDW books are Reprints of old Marvel issues, and Target 2005 was a UK Only Story that IDW reprints. Titan also did a slew of Reprints of Marvel and Marvel UK stuff.

IDW Started in 2005, with a fresh, modern take on the properties after Dreamwave lost the license, and didn't pay their Artists. New Origin Story, and Optimus doesn't even show up until Issue #6 of Infiltration, on the last page!

Marvel 1-80, and IDW Regeneration One 80.5 - 100 +0 = Original Marvel Run.

Marvel Generation 2, act as if Regeneration One does not exist.

YES, to a degree, There were stories published UK only that never made it to American print via Marvel. They do all connect in some way.

That again would be Transformers Regeneration One. Issues 80.5-100 were written by the same team on issue 80 when Marvel Axed them. After Vol. 1 was canceled, they then were put on to Generation 2 and invented Jhiaxus as a villain (Gee, Axe Us was the joke since Marvel canceled books in a way that can inspire a creative team to make a character name from it).

Regeneration One being done actually Ret-Con'd all 12 issues of Transformers Generation 2 and made them an "Alternate Reality".

Dreamwave series:

1st regular series #1-6

2nd regular series #1-6

Generation 1 #0,1-10

The War Within #1-6

Micromasters #1-4

Armada #1-6

Transformers/GI Joe #1-6

War Within Is good, but there are some of these books that were never finished because of Dreamwave's owner, and TF Artist, Pat Lee. I don't pay money for these books because many artists were burned by these books. I'll read em, but won't buy them.

Image series:

Transformers/GI joe #1-6

Devil's Due series

IDW Series:

Regular series #0 NOTE:#0 is actually Infiltration #0(4 different covers) #1-31

New Avengers/Transformers #1-4 Stand Alone Except introducing Ramjet

Devastation #1-6

Infiltration #1-6

Escalation #1-6

Stormbringer #1-4

Heartbreaker #1-4

Focus on Decepticons #1

The Animated movie #1-4

Maximum Dinobots #1-5

All Hail Megatron #1-16

IronHide #1-2

Bumblebee #1,4

Target 2006 #1-5

306 total issues

Any of these must reads?

I read them all, but only collect a few Non IDW G1 Continuity stuff.

A MUST READ that is not listed is Last Stand Of The Wreckers #1-6 or Hardcover Edition.

Others:

2009 Self Titled Ongoing #22 and #23, First James Roberts Writings for main book.

Entire More Than Meets the Eye Run by IDW.

IDW has 2 Ongoings still going at issue 44 each.

MTMTE

And Formerly Robots In Disguise, now self titled Transformers due to new cartoon getting a book too and taking the RID name) . A 3rd Ongoing, "'Till All Are One" is coming when Windblade Vol. 2 Finishes at issue #7.

IDW starts here though.....

#0 is Infiltration #0. Followed by Infiltration 1-6. This was IDW's Opener and runs simultaneously with Stormbringer #1-4 (MUST READ). This shows the IDW Universe from the Space and Earth perspectives.

Escalation is next.

Devastation is the 3rd story. There are numerous Spotlight issues that run along at the same time, the wiki page has the correct reading order. There are then 4 Spotlight issues used for the 4th Story Arc called Revelations:

Spotlight Issues for #1 Double Dealer #2 Hardhead #3 Cylconus #4 Sideswipe.

Winding down with Maximum Dinobots, then started to wind down on the work of the writer who closed out the Marvel Run. It set up a lot of things and then a new creative team came on for a 12 issue, extened to 16 issue run with All Hail Megatron. Introduced Drift (Fan Built Bot), then Last Stand of the Wreckers which everyone should read, the the 2009 ongoing.

Some good, Don Fig's Prime and Megatron redesigns, and bad, the writing of an Emo Prime, with the ongoing, but the best is issues #22-23. Conclude the 2009 series Then followed by the DEATH OF OPTIMUS PRIME. This leads us to both current series' still going.

Talk about Torn! lol When i got back into collecting, I said I am only going to collect Transformers....we all know what happened next.......

Quick corrections: Drift wasn't a fanbot. He was created by McCarthy and Guidi, with input from Ryall.

Marvel US is in-continuity with Marvel UK, but NOT the other way around. The UK run isn't in-continuity with the US material. RG1 is a continuation of US, but does consist of more than a few nods to M-UK. It's a bit complicated.

Another correction on the Dreamwave TF series: As I remember it being promoted, it was originally supposed to be set between the original animated series season 2 and the original animated movie, as a set up/introduction to the movie characters (Hot Rod/Kup/Magnus etc...) and a what happened to other characters (Sparkplug).

The 1st mini blew that idea out of the water because, if I remember correctly, they killed the Aerialbots and Wheeljack. I try to forget the DW stuff for not only stuff already mentioned, but I thought it mostly sucked. War Within and the Armada/Energon series was good, but look at the creative team as to why!

Quick corrections: Drift wasn't a fanbot. He was created by McCarthy and Guidi, with input from Ryall.

Thanks! I could have sworn there was something the fans got to vote on involving Drift like Alt mode or Name or something, but I could be wrong, I know for sure Windblade and Victorian were voted upon by fans.

Marvel US is in-continuity with Marvel UK, but NOT the other way around. The UK run isn't in-continuity with the US material. RG1 is a continuation of US, but does consist of more than a few nods to M-UK. It's a bit complicated.

I knew it was messed up somehow. Thanks for that too!

Drift is completely creator-driven, nothing fan-related about his creation or use. Windblade was the first ever fan-tinkered bot, followed by the recent Victorion.

Dreamwave had put itself out there as taking place in a timeline that starts after season 2 of the cartoon, and before the movie, but it clearly became a completely alternate take on that, as events throughout meant the movie couldn't take place as it was. It's interesting that the first mini was retconned with the second, removing all season 2 characters from it (this most prominently affects Red Alert, ironically a character also most affected by the various Marvel continuities).

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

UltraMaximus you got me into reading and collecting TF again. I've read everything from the begining until a few issues after Dark Cybertron. I've been buying variants when I see them. I have all AHM variants, 95% of Spotlights and a few other series variants. It's kind of addicting. I've stopped chasing other things and focused on TF! I feel like it's a good investment. They are still relavent to kids and international. If IDW keeps up with the great stories, which they have been.