• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

Oh, I've read them, and the Marvel run, and even though they have some good things, the writing was really bad (Especially with Deaths, and new volumes all of a sudden, ALIVE AGAIN!), and the stories not finished at the end just really left a bad taste, and why I will never endorse them, buy them or give money to anything Dreamwave related.

I've seen some of the artwork here for MTMTE #50 and TF #50. Anyone know if there will be any other retailer exclusive covers or anything like that? The stories have been solid especially in MTMTE.

I've seen some of the artwork here for MTMTE #50 and TF #50. Anyone know if there will be any other retailer exclusive covers or anything like that? The stories have been solid especially in MTMTE.

There is always an RI cover. RE's will usually be found on the inside cover and you can contact IDW to see who (when they do RE's) is participating in them. This seems to be the cover art coming.

12507106_927271790642823_6140647125749691496_n.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Every now and again, I come by and checkout this thread. I really want to be more active in it if you all find what I have to chat about interesting.

Last week, I was blow away by some eBay postings that appear from two or three different sellers.

TRANSFORMERS ALL HAIL MEGATRON #1 CGC 9.8 SS APOCALYPSE SIGNED CULLEN & WELKER! $1,499.99 [ CLOSED & SOLD ]

TUthiud.jpg

THE TRANSFORMERS #45 CGC SS 9.8 • SIGNED: PETER CULLEN & FRANK WELKER • VARIANT $1,499.99 [ OPEN ]

F0f4QI2.jpg

Transformers #1 CGC 9.6 SS Peter Cullen & Frank Welker Optimus Prime & Megatron! $1,499.99 [ OPEN ]

CqzC5tH.jpg

Transformers #1 CGC 9.8 SS Peter Cullen & Frank Welker Optimus Prime & Megatron! $2,499.99 [ OPEN ]

4tuNxME.jpg

The All Hail Megatron book sold within two or three days of being posted. The reset of these are taking longer. My working theory here is that CGC is sending back everyone's books from last years Texas Comic Con and now they are appearing on eBay.

Do you guys think these books are worth these prices? Is Frank Welker's autograph just that rare that these books can demand these prices?

I'll be honest. My mouse hovered over the 'buy now' Button for Transformers #1 auction.

Wow IDK if they are worth the price, but likely, a Transformers collectible is worth way more to a fan, than to someone not at all interested in it.

I can get Transformers #45 for $3.99, the Apocalypse Comics one is Unobtainium, they just aren't around, but the TF#1's are easily found.

How often, and how much for both a Welker and Cullen signature is the missing part of your equation.

Nice books none the less, love seeing High Grade AHM #1 Variants, but dang a Sig Series!

Wow IDK if they are worth the price, but likely, a Transformers collectible is worth way more to a fan, than to someone not at all interested in it.

I can get Transformers #45 for $3.99, the Apocalypse Comics one is Unobtainium, they just aren't around, but the TF#1's are easily found.

How often, and how much for both a Welker and Cullen signature is the missing part of your equation.

Nice books none the less, love seeing High Grade AHM #1 Variants, but dang a Sig Series!

Honestly I wouldn't mind having one of those signature books. Talking with my friends, a debate came up as to why would anyone even want these since Frank and Peter had nothing to do with the comics.

Simply put, it's all about how and what you want to collect.

They are correct from a Comics collecting standpoint, those sig series books are bloated overpriced, by $1-2K. Those books might be nostalgic to have the concepts created by the comics, played out on the cartoon, but their signatures on those books are a little out of place. Their signatures on anything Transformers that isn't the cartoon boxed sets, stills or anything related to G1 cartoons (stuff they worked on) is like say a Marvel Preview #4 Star Lord signed by Chris Pratt. They may be the first portrayal of the characters voices, but they wont be the last. (Cullen's Optimus will always be best though.)

I think it is awesome that the AHM #1 had Welker and Cullen's signatures, but Maximus is right. I wouldn't pay the price on it because they don't work on the IDW series and they aren't really associated with it. I see people try to sell a Punisher #1, or what have you, with Stan Lee's signature. It's cool and all, but the price is inflated since he never worked on the book. I only have some signed books, but that only happened out of convenience with Mike Zeck bring at a show I attended. Like I said, I think it is cool that the AHM #1 was signed by both, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Another AHM #1 showed up on ebay. Guy says it's a 6.0. I'm looking to upgrade my 9.2, but not with that one.

I think it is awesome that the AHM #1 had Welker and Cullen's signatures, but Maximus is right. I wouldn't pay the price on it because they don't work on the IDW series and they aren't really associated with it. I see people try to sell a Punisher #1, or what have you, with Stan Lee's signature. It's cool and all, but the price is inflated since he never worked on the book. I only have some signed books, but that only happened out of convenience with Mike Zeck bring at a show I attended. Like I said, I think it is cool that the AHM #1 was signed by both, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Another AHM #1 showed up on ebay. Guy says it's a 6.0. I'm looking to upgrade my 9.2, but not with that one.

I'm starting to feel bad about the comic I had Peter Cullen sign at TFcon Toronto last year.

I would not feel bad about it if I were you. Ultimately it comes down to whether you want it signed or not. From a value standpoint, if you were going to try and flip a signed book, it makes more sense to have the signer put their name on something they worked on. Frankly, I think it is great that you got Cullen's signature. I would love to be able to meet him and Welker and just have a total fanboy session with them.

I would not feel bad about it if I were you. Ultimately it comes down to whether you want it signed or not. From a value standpoint, if you were going to try and flip a signed book, it makes more sense to have the signer put their name on something they worked on. Frankly, I think it is great that you got Cullen's signature. I would love to be able to meet him and Welker and just have a total fanboy session with them.

Thanks.

This comic book, along with anything in my collection, wont be mine forever. I wont be around forever. I enjoy having what I have now, growing my collection, and displaying it. But, I am just holding on to it until I'm ready to pass it on to the next collector.

I need to work on posting pictures of it in the, "Got A Comic Book Room Thread'.

Peter Cullen was so nice. I was blow away at how polite and nice the guy was. We were all given this long speech about how we had to get in, sign our item, take a pic, and get out. But Peter seem very interested in each and everyone in line and took the time to have a conversation. Classy guy from my experience.

Glad to hear that he was really cool. I have a reproduction poster of TF the Movie. I would like to see if I can get a show close enough to Cincinnati to get him and Welker to sign it. Some of the other voice actors still make appearances. I would think Bot Con is always the big one in the US.

Pretty cool video showing the sold out, and extremely hard to find Comicfolio sets.

1370901085_18.jpg

I managed to obtain 3 of them, MTMTE 17, RID #18 and Monstrosity#1.

I missed the Dark Cybertron #1 and it has been sold out for quite some time. :tonofbricks:

http://idwlimited.com/shop/transformers-dark-cybertron-1-comicfolio/

Edited by UltraMaximus

All Hail Optimus part 1 in Transformers (Formerly Robots In Disguise) #50 was another well written issue! This is going to be yet another, huge, breadcrumb leaving, detail oriented, resolving plot issues from 25+ issues ago while creating more questions than answers, and I AM FINE WITH THAT!!!!!

I know a lot of fans HATE Earth Transformers stories, but since Issue #28's return to Earth, there has been some alignment of some TF fiction into a single continuity (Involving Beast Wars, and a few others for the post 84 show fans) and the handling of of past stories in continuity (All Hail Megatron) that come into play again. Dark Cybertron Prophecy is once again VERY RELEVANT.

OPTIMUS has a weird dream, in which he has a vision:

"A sunrise dark shall cast pall upon the empire, and time will rust, and he will stand alone while not alone,

and adorned the titan will be black metal, and the stars will scream, and the symbol of the uncreator shall be clear, and his gaze shall unravel the legacy of the Primus, and thus shall the adversary rise. A black star, unstopped and unstoppable."

Having this come together into one universe is proving that IDW is doing it best.

More than Meets the Eye #50 was pushed back 2 weeks and some pages leaked. I won't spoil anyone there but recommend you pick up both issue 50's.

Can't wait to read it, still playing catch up on the series. Just starting Dark Cybertron. Overall the IDW Transformers has been pretty good going all they way back to Infiltration. However I have been struggling a bit on some of the MTME issues...maybe because it has a lot of annoying (in my opinion of course) characters. On the other hand RID has been really good. Anyways on to #50!

I know I'm much more of a G1er, but I have a question for everyone.

What have you gotten drawn on your sketch covers? Or, if you haven't yet, what would you get sketched on your sketch covers.

I guess I am asking for inspiration for my own sketch covers.

What have you gotten drawn on your sketch covers? Or, if you haven't yet, what would you get sketched on your sketch covers.

Depends on what the blank book is mostly. I mean drawing an Optimus on a Drift Blank cover might be ok for a personalized sketch, but a Drift sketch on a Drift book seems a little more logical.

I would say a character or scene from the book would be best, but even some of the RI covers show a scene that has 0 to do with the book. Or your Favorite bot.

The 2 Sketch MTMTE #1 1:100's I have were done by Burcham (Colorist). Tappet and Jhiaxus were the characters I got randomly, and it is only a small head picture, not a huge page spread. They had a few, but IDW sold out long ago.

If I had some of the newer Sub Variants (Issue #46 for both ongoings) IDK, Tarn and Megatron might be good fits for the MTMTE cover, Fort Max was on the Artist Editions RI and would make a great sketch, and Optimus vs. Galvatron seems to be the ongoing (Formerly RID) theme. Arcee and the other new Fem-Bots would be a good one as well.

We also have a new All Female Combiner showing to be a little popular.

All Hail Optimus part 1 in Transformers (Formerly Robots In Disguise) #50 was another well written issue! This is going to be yet another, huge, breadcrumb leaving, detail oriented, resolving plot issues from 25+ issues ago while creating more questions than answers, and I AM FINE WITH THAT!!!!!

I know a lot of fans HATE Earth Transformers stories, but since Issue #28's return to Earth, there has been some alignment of some TF fiction into a single continuity (Involving Beast Wars, and a few others for the post 84 show fans) and the handling of of past stories in continuity (All Hail Megatron) that come into play again. Dark Cybertron Prophecy is once again VERY RELEVANT.

OPTIMUS has a weird dream, in which he has a vision:

"A sunrise dark shall cast pall upon the empire, and time will rust, and he will stand alone while not alone,

and adorned the titan will be black metal, and the stars will scream, and the symbol of the uncreator shall be clear, and his gaze shall unravel the legacy of the Primus, and thus shall the adversary rise. A black star, unstopped and unstoppable."

Having this come together into one universe is proving that IDW is doing it best.

More than Meets the Eye #50 was pushed back 2 weeks and some pages leaked. I won't spoil anyone there but recommend you pick up both issue 50's.

Interesting that people don't like the Earth stories.

I much prefer them over space/Cybertron.

Patrick

Depends on what the blank book is mostly. I mean drawing an Optimus on a Drift Blank cover might be ok for a personalized sketch, but a Drift sketch on a Drift book seems a little more logical.

I would say a character or scene from the book would be best, but even some of the RI covers show a scene that has 0 to do with the book. Or your Favorite bot.

The 2 Sketch MTMTE #1 1:100's I have were done by Burcham (Colorist). Tappet and Jhiaxus were the characters I got randomly, and it is only a small head picture, not a huge page spread. They had a few, but IDW sold out long ago.

If I had some of the newer Sub Variants (Issue #46 for both ongoings) IDK, Tarn and Megatron might be good fits for the MTMTE cover, Fort Max was on the Artist Editions RI and would make a great sketch, and Optimus vs. Galvatron seems to be the ongoing (Formerly RID) theme. Arcee and the other new Fem-Bots would be a good one as well.

We also have a new All Female Combiner showing to be a little popular.

You bring a very valid point. It seems to make a lot of sense. Much more sense than I have been doing in practice.

My sketch covers have all been 80s movie themes. A re-imagining of a movie poster or movie scene with G1 characters. Every time I take a request like that to an artist at a con or through the mail they sound very excited to work on it. I supposed they could be just acting nice. But it makes me happy to see that they are acting excited to do a commission like that.