• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Seller Issue...

257 posts in this topic

Restoration does happen, which is why grading services exist, I wouldn't complain about losing your shipping cost, how much are you out on shipping? $10 at best? I really don't think that losing your shipping cost decides weather or not you eat tonight.

If you bought a car and then bought a $20 car fax report and find out the car was a lemon and then returned the car to the dealer and got your money back, would you complain you are out $20? If the car is a lemon, the dealer would just put it back out on the lot for resale. Same thing with comics, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Its beyond your control.

Good question. I'm curious to know as well.

Once I saw the invoice with the "cover trimmed" I called CGC and they told me that they would look at the book again. They called me an hour later and told me that the "senior grader" looked at the book and agreed that it was trimmed. Not 100% sure how they can tell.

Once I saw the invoice with the "cover trimmed" I called CGC and they told me that they would look at the book again. They called me an hour later and told me that the "senior grader" looked at the book and agreed that it was trimmed. Not 100% sure how they can tell.

It is not from measuring.

It is from appearance.

It is from appearance.

Exactly.

Whilst the edges do look very sharp, CGC provide an opinion. If the seller doesn't agree with that opinion he's under no obligation to state it on his auction.

You got your money back, the seller has also mentioned CGCs opinion when questioned by a third party, which he didn't have to.

I don't think this is totally black and white and outing him on here where he has no recourse seems a bit mob mentality to me.

Not trying to start an argument, just an opinion... Just like CGC provides.

The seller is saying he doesn´t agree with CGC and raises reasonable doubt. Not much you can do in this situation + he can probably get that neg removed since you got refunded and all of this is based on an invoice screenshot.

I don't know if this guy deserved a neg, or having his name thrown under the bus

He said he didn't know, gave you your money back, and has stated what happened, and that it has possibly been trimmed to everyone who has inquired about it's resto status in the current auction.

About the only thing more he could do would be to list in the new auction that cgc alleged trimming on a past submission, but the expert he checked with said it wasn't the case.

The seller is saying he doesn´t agree with CGC and raises reasonable doubt. Not much you can do in this situation + he can probably get that neg removed since you got refunded and all of this is based on an invoice screenshot.

Just because a seller refunds a buyer does not mean they can remove the buyer's negative feedback. If it's the buyer's opinion they had a negative experience there are very few criteria that will erase that negative.

It is from appearance.

Exactly.

....sometimes they (CGC) will be wrong about trimming..... books before the mid 60's can "look" trimmed even when they aren't. Quality control was at a bare minimum back then...... the 50's were even worse. Not to attack ALcomics..... but the book must not have been an obvious trim or he wouldn't have sent the book on to CGC (rather than returning it). The only way to really be sure about trimming is to buy off the shelf yourself or to secure books directly from an original owner who doesn't trim. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....looking at the actual book's scan..... I can see where CGC would have arrived at their conclusion.

also the negative feedback seems more based on what the seller did after the refund than with the specific sale. It may seem a bit shady how they are acting with the latest repost of the item, but is that the buyers problem? It seems a little thin to accuse someone of doing this all the time with a single piece of evidence (i.e. do they belong under the bus on the EBAY BLOCK list).

I don't know if this guy deserved a neg, or having his name thrown under the bus

He said he didn't know, gave you your money back, and has stated what happened, and that it has possibly been trimmed to everyone who has inquired about it's resto status in the current auction.

About the only thing more he could do would be to list in the new auction that cgc alleged trimming on a past submission, but the expert he checked with said it wasn't the case.

I agree with this totally. He has solid reasoning as to why he doesn't agree with the CGC findings, and he refunded your purchase. What else is he supposed to do?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that CGC isn't 100% perfect in their unbiased opinions of grades. I've got a Tales to Astonish 101 they say is a 7.0 that looks better than one of my 8.5's.

It's a shoot at best when you submit your books for grading. How many times have you gotten submissions back and just stared blankly at the assigned grade, saying, "How in the...?"

This is exactly why I posted my experience here.

The guy wouldn't have received a negative if he would have mentioned a possible trim in the new description. My experience with him was decent until I saw the new listing. I even emailed him asking why he didn't include the possible trim in the relisting, but he didn't reply until I left the feedback. If he's not willing to include recently acquired info regarding one of his books (whether it's true or not), what else could he be failing to mention? That's great that he'll mention the trim if you email, but what about the guy who doesn't and gets the book thinking there is no restoration.

This is why the negative has been left. I don't want anyone to go through the same trouble and disappointment with this book.

He has his opinion about the trimming based on his experts word, but at least throw the info into the description to ensure people know 100% what they are getting.

I agree with this totally. He has solid reasoning as to why he doesn't agree with the CGC findings, and he refunded your purchase. What else is he supposed to do?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that CGC isn't 100% perfect in their unbiased opinions of grades. I've got a Tales to Astonish 101 they say is a 7.0 that looks better than one of my 8.5's.

It's a shoot at best when you submit your books for grading. How many times have you gotten submissions back and just stared blankly at the assigned grade, saying, "How in the...?"

He is suppose to relay the possiblity of there being a trim.

If someone picks up this book thinking that there are no restorations and they send it to CGC, chances are they're going to get the same result.

Sure CGC makes mistakes, but if a book you were interested in had been submitted and returned because of a possible trim, wouldn't you want to know before you made the purchase?

I appreciate the replies.

The book has no top overhang, the interior pages are about to poke out at the top on the upper right. The right corner is sharp.

CGC says the book is trimmed. hm

Yea, I wouldn't touch this book.

I've seen books worth far less trimmed.

$_57.JPG

So we should be cracking any trimmed book we want and sell it as a raw unrestored book.

Because ya know sometimes CGC is wrong. hm

I wonder if this practice happens here more than I thought.

:P

He is suppose to relay the possibility of a trim.

If someone picks up this book thinking that there are no restorations and they send it to CGC, chances are they're going to get the same result.

Sure CGC makes mistakes, but if a book you were interested in had been submitted and returned because of a possible trim, wouldn't you want to know before you made the purchase?

I appreciate the replies.

Why is he supposed to relay the possibility of a trim?

I'm having a hard time justifying why you gave him a neg. He refunded your money. You cannot prove that he knew about or didn't know about the trim beforehand. As much as we would like to believe otherwise, he is under no obligation to relay the information that this comic may have been trimmed.

I get it that you want to let us know the details. I, for one, appreciate it but I don't think the neg is warranted.

I am just curious what dimensions CGC goes by?

I found this on a few pages on the web and according to what I am understanding SilverAge varies by sometimes a 1/4"

(Silver, Bronze and Modern comics are usually between 10 and 10 1/4 inches tall and about 6 3/4 inches wide. Prior to this there wasn't really a standard and sizes fluctuated between titles and publishers, but they were often larger than these dimensions.)

So if it were me I would want to know what the CGC standards are as far as book size before they can say it was trimmed. Just my 2c

Do they give a 1/4" leeway as far as size of the book?

Dimensions don't always tell the story. If CGC went by that, there would be one hell of a lot more comics out there identified as trimmed, without being trimmed at all.