• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Seller Issue...

257 posts in this topic

If you bought a book off the stands and it came back trimmed would you tell the buyer that CGC got it wrong you bought it off the stands-should they be aware that even though it's not trimmed it will come back trimmed?

Why does everyone keep picking out this one very specific, and highly unlikely scenario? 99.9% of the time, this isn't what happens.

If you bought a book off the stands and it came back trimmed would you tell the buyer that CGC got it wrong you bought it off the stands-should they be aware that even though it's not trimmed it will come back trimmed?

Why does everyone keep picking out this one very specific, and highly unlikely scenario? 99.9% of the time, this isn't what happens.

Humans are interested in the outer boundaries of possible events. 'What if' is interesting enough that they made a comic about it.

Just because I bought the book off the stands doesn't mean the book is unrestored. Not to mention faulty memory. As explained earlier, stranger things have happened, like the famous color touch example.

If you believe the book is unrestored, after CGC tags it, there are other responsible ways to handle it. (Resub, other known experts, other company etc.)

If you bought a book off the stands that had leaf casting and married cover-would you be surprised? I sure would.

This situation has only happened to me once. I sold a book and missed some color touch on the interior back cover. I asked for the buyer to return the book, I refunded the money & return shipping cost, re-listed the book with the disclosed restoration, sold it...and MOVED ON.

This was asked this a few pages back. I said I would disclose. (Seems like the obvious answer to me.) Of course I would also say if I thought CGC was wrong and why I thought they were wrong. But I would not hide the fact that CGC said it was restored.

koolectablz called me "plainly ridiculous" for saying that.

I didn't let CGC finish stabbing it because I didn't want to waste the $60 getting it graded. I called and asked CGC to cancel the sub and cut my losses on the shipping.

On a tangential note I can't believe CGC didn't charge you. On my first couple PLODS I did exactly the same thing, I called when I saw the PLOD but before it was officially graded. They told me NO WAY would they stop the process. I distinctly remember they said most of the work has been done and I have to be charged. I guess they have changed their policy. Precedent has been set. If your book is PLOD you can now call and get your money back. While obviously, my statement is tongue in cheek I don't like it when CGC makes exceptions like this. You either charge for everyone or no one.

I thought this sounded quite odd, too.

For the record....

The person who, in my opinion, is more qualified than anyone on the planet to detect restoration in comic books is Susan Cicconi. There is nobody in the hobby today that has her eye, her experience, and her knowledge.

So, if SHE said it was, or was not, resto'd, I would, for me, disclose that. But that is my personal opinion, and would not expect anyone to abide by that for that reason alone.

And she does not work for CGC.

While I love Susan, FYI she misses stuff also. If you go through enough books you WILL miss stuff.

Of course. That's my point.

:hi:

And that point IS a valid one. Everyone misses trimming sometimes!

But, this thread doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside about buying from some of the people here either.

How often do false positives happen in your book? hm

What do you think the odds are that THIS book is unrestored?

I sure as heck wouldn't want to buy it. Would you? Why would you want to defend this kind of selling when the odds are the next person is getting a trimmed book?

Context, context, context.

Who is selling the book, and do I trust them?

If it's Mark Haspel, probably.

If it's Roy, probably.

If it's you...probably not.

:D

For the record....

The person who, in my opinion, is more qualified than anyone on the planet to detect restoration in comic books is Susan Cicconi. There is nobody in the hobby today that has her eye, her experience, and her knowledge.

So, if SHE said it was, or was not, resto'd, I would, for me, disclose that. But that is my personal opinion, and would not expect anyone to abide by that for that reason alone.

While I love Susan, FYI she misses stuff also. If you go through enough books you WILL miss stuff.

But, this thread doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside about buying from some of the people here either.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to buy it. Would you? Why would you want to defend this kind of selling when the odds are the next person is getting a trimmed book?

If it's Roy, probably.

Didn't you just get mad at me for taking pot shots at people?

For the record....

I don't mind, I don't take it as an insult since I don't think I have sold many books to him. Plus I think we are on the same page here now.

For the record....

I don't mind, I don't take it as an insult since I don't think I have sold many books to him. Plus I think we are on the same page here now.

.... plus, RMA was joking about you..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Put me in the I'd disclose and put in the description why I thought CGC was wrong camp. As far as this seller if he's gotten questions about the possibility of trim and sent responses to people I see no reason he shouldn't put those questions at the bottom of the listing. Unless, of course, he's trying to sell it to someone who doesn't know that CGC thinks it's trimmed.

(And that's recognizing that CGC might be wrong).

For the record....

If it's Roy, probably.

Take it to the Boardie Fight Club thread! :sumo:

Yeah, I believe it should be disclosed. Like Chip said, take the pain and move on. Looks awfully, awfully close just based on the scans though. I'm thinking there must be something in that upper right hand corner that they don't like.

...in a real world scenario.....rather than hypothetical, if I KNEW the book wasn't trimmed...... out it would come and back to Sarasota it would go...until it ended up in the blue label it deserved. I've never knowingly sold a restored book as unrestored ..... GOD BLESS...

For the record....

If it's Roy, probably.

You need to learn the difference between a "pot shot" and a "friendly jab."

The smiley tells all.

Rip and I are old sparring partners from way back, and he clearly took it in the spirit in which it was conveyed: that is, not seriously.

And no, I didn't get "mad" at you. Getting angry at people online is like barking at the moon. It doesn't serve any purpose, and people will think you're crazy.

For the record....

.... plus, RMA was joking about you..... GOD BLESS...

Indeed.