• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Seller Issue...

257 posts in this topic

I've just been reading this thread, but not sure what (if any) opinion I have formed. Once the possibility of this book being trimmed has been suggested, several people in this thread have declared that the book has obviously been trimmed. No questions. Yet, the book went through two PGM threads and not one poster grading the book suggested it was trimmed. Grades were given as high as 9.2 for the book. Not sure if that means anything, but I thought it to be interesting.

Indeed.

CGC did not officially grade this book = they did not officially declare it trimmed. So you're a seller and you hear from a disgruntled buyer that CGC said the book was restored but they did not grade it. Maybe you don't believe the buyer's story but you take it back because you are a good seller.

That's exactly what the OP said the seller did, and yet he still neg-bombed him.

This was on the presumption that in the current auction listing, because the possibility of trimming wasn't brought up, a future buyer might get burned.

But wait, he got his refund upon complaining about the book, so why would it be any different with a possible future unhappy buyer?

Shouldn't feedback on a transaction be solely about that specific transaction ? Why can't the OP leave a positive feedback for the way the seller handled the complaint and certainly mention the trimmed status in the feedback but end it there. I certainly think the seller should be mentioning the 'possibility' of trimming in future sales thread but remember he did not receive the book back in a Purple Label. That is an important fact. If he deslabbed it from the Purple label and sold it as is, that would be wrong. At this point, it's just speculation.

What are you saying is speculation? Are you saying the OP is lying? You can check cgc's website yourself, enter the invoice number the OP gave (0252272001) and see that it is consistent with the op's claims - cover trimmed, no grade, strange tales 107.

Or are you saying that the speculation is whether or not the book itself is trimmed? I agree - cgc isn't right 100% of the time. But, according to RMA, they are right 99.999% of the time. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. Still, even if they are only right 98% of the time, you don't get to just ignore that.

In any event, I am *NOT* saying that the seller is obligated to disclose the book is trimmed. I *AM* saying he is obligated to disclose that CGC has said it was trimmed. If you were the buyer on this book (or any book), wouldn't you want to know that?

What are you saying is speculation? Are you saying the OP is lying? You can check cgc's website yourself, enter the invoice number the OP gave (0252272001) and see that it is consistent with the op's claims - cover trimmed, no grade, strange tales 107.

Or are you saying that the speculation is whether or not the book itself is trimmed? I agree - cgc isn't right 100% of the time. But, according to RMA, they are right 99.999% of the time. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. Still, even if they are only right 98% of the time, you don't get to just ignore that.

In any event, I am *NOT* saying that the seller is obligated to disclose the book is trimmed. I *AM* saying he is obligated to disclose that CGC has said it was trimmed. If you were the buyer on this book (or any book), wouldn't you want to know that?

I would want to know if CGC thought it was trimmed, for sure. But that's up to the seller, and if he didn't disclose, it wouldn't affect me. I would just do my regular resto check that I do with every book I get, and decide for myself.

Now...if he thought it was trimmed, and didn't disclose....now we have problems, because now we're talking about fraud.

"Well, what's the practical difference between the two, RMA??"

For the buyer, none.

But for the seller, it's substantial. It's important to make the market mature, and the market matures by not just accepting what anyone..."authority" or not...says is so without being able to confirm it for ourselves at some basic level...or, at least, getting second and third opinions.

We're told to get second opinions from doctors all the time, and doctors are required to go through far more rigorous training, education, and certification than CGC's restoration experts.

Neither of us detected the trimming in the PGM thread , not even the seller and the buyer detected the trimming in hand ... So the trimming was not obvious and maybe CGC detected it with high technology? Maybe i am a new for asking this but : is it so important that the book is micro trimmed ?

Neither of us detected the trimming in the PGM thread , not even the seller and the buyer detected the trimming in hand ... So the trimming was not obvious and maybe CGC detected it with high technology? Maybe i am a new for asking this but : is it so important that the book is micro trimmed ?

If it becomes unimportant that a comic is trimmed then trimming starts to become acceptable to increase a grade, then we have every comic getting a trim, just like pressing...

I don't think anyone wants crack, press, trim and resub.

The OP said CGC aborted the process, hence I said the resto was speculation. However, with the cert number you just provided, you are correct, it was indeed graded by CGC. I guess the OP was stretching the truth about CGC aborting the process and refunding his 60.00 ?

The OP said CGC aborted the process, hence I said the resto was speculation. However, with the cert number you just provided, you are correct, it was indeed graded by CGC. I guess the OP was stretching the truth about CGC aborting the process and refunding his 60.00 ?

I wondered that too (sort of.) I wondered if the OP just found an invoice number corresponding to his book and is using it as part of an elaborate ruse. A far more likely explanation is that CGC's shipping department screwed up and put the book in the data base when they should not have. I'll check right now hang on....

Just spoke to Sam at CGC. He says it has a note on it saying "shipping back raw customer does not want graded." Seems like the OP's story is holding up.

(Edit: also, note that the book was NOT graded. There is no grade. It just has an database entry which will probably be scrubbed now that I have brought it to CGC's attention, although I forgot to ask if they would scrub it.)

I wondered that too (sort of.) I wondered if the OP just found an invoice number corresponding to his book and is using it as part of an elaborate ruse. A far more likely explanation is that CGC's shipping department screwed up and put the book in the data base when they should not have. I'll check right now hang on....

From what I understand, they check for restoration before they start the grading process.