• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HARTFORD COMIC CON - SEPT 19 & 20, 2015 - HARTFORD, CT

26 posts in this topic

I went to this show last year and, as a buyer, I thought it was fantastic. I heard the dealers were generally not so enthused.

Here's my take on the show, as a vendor who set up there both years................

Mr.Bedrock summed it up succinctly, the promoter dropped the ball this year.

I did well enough the first year (far from stellar sales total though) to justify doing the show again this year.

My partner did better than he did last year, I did less than last year.

Most of the dealers (read all) of the dealers I spoke with,both years, said the show was weak.

This year;there was a bike race shut off a lot of streets in the area on Sunday, which the promoter came around and told vendors about, so that didn't help.The promoter should have found about this well beforehand and booked the event on a different weekend.

My take on this show is that I will probably do it again next year, if the promoter fine tunes things as needed.....and makes a concentrated effort to get CGC (and/or Voldemort) to sign up as exhibitors.

Give them free booths and offer to pay for their hotel rooms, if needed.That is likely the only way the show would be successful, the third time around.It would at the very least, get a decent amount of serious collectors to attend the show.

I was too exhausted to walk the room and do any buying this year, but I made out nicely on buying, last year.

I talked to Larry of Larry's Comics briefly during load out after the show, he said the show was "the best"...paraphrased........so he must have done as well as possible as far as selling is concerned, but I'm sure that he made some killer deals on buying if he was that enthusiastic.

Larry had a few booths worth at his set up, all of his comics were priced fairly and in some cases, some were priced VERY cheap.

At the end of the show I saw a copy of the 1st app. of Beast Boy...My greatest Adventure #98 or 99, whichever his 1st app is..... it looked like a solid FN, he had $60 on it.

THAT book should have sold on the first day of the show....it has to be easily a $100 book on eBay in raw 6.0 via a quick BIN sale.

He also had a New Mutants 98....which looked like a 9.6 to 9.8 on his wall at $400...it was there intil 3PM on Sunday, gone when I went back to his table around 4PM....but it should have been snapped up on the first day.

If anyone reading this is going to Baltimore this weekend, stop by Larry's booths, he is a good guy to deal with and he is FAIR.Larry is the man.

I wanted to stop by and introduce myself to him but I was too exhausted/felt like mess so my apologies to him on that account.

Also,another public apology to the Big L....

....Larry, I owe you an apology for breaking your balls on making you too low of an offer for the Flash #105 and Superman Adventures #5 , at last year's Hartford.You quoted me a good price on the pair, I should have taken you up on the deal and not tried to lowball you.

On that note, Larry is a character; a funny dude.

I lowballed the offer, after he gave me a fair quote on the pair, and he passed, noting he'd have the SA #5 pressed & graded (it was a $300+ book at the time in 9.8) with something along the lines of:

"No thank you, I love you.Have a nice day."

I then upped my offer to what he quoted me, 10 minutes later, and he gave me the same response.

Now THAT is how you handle a jackarse who gives you a lowball offer.A suitably flippant response, a coyly phrased way of subtly implying "eff off, dude".

The dude has character and is a straight shooter, so stop by his booth at Baltimore and buy some of his comics , sans any lowballing.

I promise you'll be glad that you did, Larry is alright :)