• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's DARK TOWER TV & movie franchise

139 posts in this topic

Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' Alive Again, Lands at Sony

Akiva Goldsman, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins, who have been trying to mount the project for close to a decade, are producing.

The project has a new -script co-written by Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. Insiders say the new -script, which adapts the first book of the series, Gunslinger, has been totally reconceived by the duo from the version that had been previously developed.

Now the hunt begins for a filmmaker to sit in the director’s chair.

Said Tom Rothman, the new chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group: “There are few projects out there that compare with the scope, vision, complex characters and fully drawn world that Stephen King has created with The Dark Tower. I am a giant fan. And, as Stephen himself does, we love the direction that Akiva and Jeff have taken. This is a great opportunity for a director to put his or her stamp on a cool global franchise."

:wishluck:

With the chairman of a company being a reading fan, hopefully that provides the energy needed.

Akiva Goldsman, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins, who have been trying to mount the project for close to a decade, are producing.

The project has a new -script co-written by Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. Insiders say the new -script, which adapts the first book of the series, Gunslinger, has been totally reconceived by the duo from the version that had been previously developed.

Said Tom Rothman, the new chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group: “There are few projects out there that compare with the scope, vision, complex characters and fully drawn world that Stephen King has created with The Dark Tower. I am a giant fan. And, as Stephen himself does, we love the direction that Akiva and Jeff have taken. This is a great opportunity for a director to put his or her stamp on a cool global franchise."

With the chairman of a company being a reading fan, hopefully that provides the energy needed.

Nick, I'm not sure a movie franchise would do this epic tale justice. This is a very detailed story with so much depth.....ten plus seasons from an HBO /showtime type channel is the way to go. It would be an injustice to the source material and the readers/fans to cram it into a few movies. I'm also pissed as a fart currently. Take that for what it's worth. The Black Hand has a stinky taint, btw.

Considering the books were rushed and pretty much sucked after Wizard and Glass, I would find it hilarious if a movie/show was made. It would be terrible. Like Tommyknockers terrible. Anyone see that movie? No? What a surprise.

Nick, I'm not sure a movie franchise would do this epic tale justice. This is a very detailed story with so much depth.....ten plus seasons from an HBO /showtime type channel is the way to go. It would be an injustice to the source material and the readers/fans to cram it into a few movies. I'm also pissed as a fart currently. Take that for what it's worth. The Black Hand has a stinky taint, btw.

I agree. I have all seven books, and could only have guessed at a long-running TV show to do the entire series justice.

But in this case, they are talking about a movie/TV show combination. How they pull this off will be interesting.

Considering the books were rushed and pretty much sucked after Wizard and Glass, I would find it hilarious if a movie/show was made. It would be terrible. Like Tommyknockers terrible. Anyone see that movie? No? What a surprise.

:hi:

There was only one redeeming quality in the entire production. Marg Helgenberger.

:hi:

There was only one redeeming quality in the entire production. Marg Helgenberger.

Bingo. She acted for an entire cast of 50 or so cardboard cutouts lol

Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER Looking At Nikolaj Arcel To Direct

Sony is looking to sign Nikolaj Arcel to direct the first film based on Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series of novels. According to the report, negotiations will soon begin between the studio and the director.

Arcel co-scripted The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and has directed films such as A Royal Affair.

:taptaptap:

FURY ROAD's Abbey Lee In Talks For THE DARK TOWER; Idris Elba & Matthew McConaughey Confirmed

Coming off her role as one of the "Five Wives" in George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road, Aussie actress and model Abbey Lee has apparently been offered the female lead role of Tirana in Sony Pictures and MRC's adaptation of the first novel in Stephen King's The Dark Tower saga. The trades report that Idris Elba is also officially on board as The Gunslinger himself, Roland Deschain, and Matthew McConaughey will play the villainous Man in Black.

Nikolaj Arcel will direct The Dark Tower, which is currently set to bow on Jan. 13, 2017

The Dark Tower Has Started Filming

The feature film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower has begun principal photography, Sony announced tonight at CinemaCon.

Warner Bros. recently announced that pre-production on The Dark Tower was underway, but their rights lapsed and the project headed to Sony.

Idris Elba will play Roland, the Gunslinger, while Matthew McConaughey will play Flagg, the Man in Black. Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul is rumored to be on board as Eddie Dean.

:whee:

Will be huge!

Start speculating and buying up all those Dark Tower Hardcovers. lol

Actually the first prints of the original Stephen King hardcovers are already going for big bucks.

The novels? Oh for sure. I always keep my eyes open for them. I meant the graphic novel. It was the most overproduced and unable to sell even a 90% off book of the last 10 years.