• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee Says DC Has A Lot Of Catching Up To Do With Marvel Movies

75 posts in this topic

“DC, of course, is trying to catch up to Marvel,” Lee tells the Toronto Sun at the recent GIlette/Stark Industries event. “More power to them. It’s good if everybody does well, but they’re certainly starting from a ways back. They have a lot of catching up to do. But (the problem is) Marvel has so many heroes. DC just has Superman, Batman and maybe Wonder Woman. Perhaps they’ll use The Flash. Green Lantern wasn’t very successful, but we’ll see.”

“DC, of course, is trying to catch up to Marvel,” Lee tells the Toronto Sun at the recent GIlette/Stark Industries event. “More power to them. It’s good if everybody does well, but they’re certainly starting from a ways back. They have a lot of catching up to do. But (the problem is) Marvel has so many heroes. DC just has Superman, Batman and maybe Wonder Woman. Perhaps they’ll use The Flash. Green Lantern wasn’t very successful, but we’ll see.”

He`s right. It`s always been that way.

No matter what they do it all comes down to Batman and Superman.

The Batman vs. Superman movie will be a blockbuster.

The rest will see.

With Marvel they have more heroes.

One could argue that a minor character like Ghost Rider would end up being number three at DC.

Marvel movies are like watching a comic book come to life. DC's movies are so dark and grim they seem to take themselves too seriously.

Agreed.

One of the reasons why the Marvel movies are so successful is they have humor with the adventure that you can take your whole family to see.

With the Watchmen movie I loved it. It was a dark masterpiece, but there is no way I would take my family to see it.

The box office will decide as always.

Green Lantern was by far the biggest stinker DC has done in recent years. Without Batman and Superman, they are lost. Marvel is just light years ahead of them.

I am hopeful DC can get their act together but the latest Batman/Superman trailer doesn't leave me feeling good about it.

Seriously? Marvel has more POPULAR superheroes?

Maybe its just my age showing, but I was always under the impression that Marvel only has spider-man and Hulk.. All the rest, movie blockbusters as they may be, do not have the same historic status as those two.

DC's Superman, Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman are household names in the comic pantheon anyway you try and spin it. Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, are up there with way more mileage than Wolverine or Deadpool. Dont get me wrong, I grew up reading as much Marvel as DC, but DC characters were always more prominent in all newsstand or LCS I went.

DC dominated the tube back in the 60s and 70s.. Marvel didnt even have any popular show other than their cartoon shows.

So now Marvel has more movies, agreed, but that doesnt make them more popuar. Maybe a little more current

Seriously? Marvel has more POPULAR superheroes?

Maybe its just my age showing, but I was always under the impression that Marvel only has spider-man and Hulk.. All the rest, movie blockbusters as they may be, do not have the same historic status as those two.

DC's Superman, Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman are household names in the comic pantheon anyway you try and spin it. Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, are up there with way more mileage than Wolverine or Deadpool. Dont get me wrong, I grew up reading as much Marvel as DC, but DC characters were always more prominent in all newsstand or LCS I went.

DC dominated the tube back in the 60s and 70s.. Marvel didnt even have any popular show other than their cartoon shows.

So now Marvel has more movies, agreed, but that doesnt make them more popuar. Maybe a little more current

Historic status, yes - those two are pretty much on top. Nowadays though? Every kid and most of their parents know Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow just as much as Superman.

Superman is on the same level as Mickey Mouse and to some extent Archie.

These 3 are probably the most iconic American made cartoon characters ever made. Period.

As popular and current as any other superhero will be, whether its on the silver screen or on paper. Superman will ALWAYS be the big daddy of them all. That probably also explains why Action #1 is by FAR the most collectible and valuable comic in history.

I think Stan is getting a little too carried away there. Its one thing to say that DC has to catch up with Marvel movies, but another to say "DC just has Superman, Batman and maybe Wonder Woman..."

I agree with the above statement.

Hey, I am a marvel guy but even I have to cede that Superman is "the" character. When it comes to American pop culture Superman is to American pop culture on a level that Mickey Mouse and Babe Ruth are.

Archie?

Maybe in the US, but virtually noone outside of the US has ever heard of Archie (perhaps a few in the UK, and Canada, but that leaves the other 95% of the world).

Archie is truly a local phenomenon.

Super-man is a global phenomenon. He is still the most well-known cartoon character, on line with Batman and Spider-man perhaps. And Wolverine is probably up there too.

But Archie? If we took the 100 most well-known cartoon characters world-wide I'm very certain Archie would not be in top 100. Dora the Explorer would be much above Archie for example.

These 3 are probably the most iconic American made cartoon characters ever made. Period.

Archie? Seriously?

Bugs Bunny is far more popular than Archie by many factors of 100.

I agree. Nowadays? Deadpool and Wolverine are FAR more popular than even Wonder Woman.

DC has Batman and to a lesser extent Superman, and that's it.

Do we know how much does the Superman brand brings in a year collectively from merchandise, royalties, commercials ads, cartoons, newspaper and media mentions, Tv radio and film?

Certainly more than all superheroes on the market currently. Definitely more than Wolverine.

Deadpool, Wolverine are WAY more popular in certain demographics, but not overall.

Archie? Seriously?

Bugs Bunny is far more popular than Archie by many factors of 100.

Here's the same website that ran that report about Stan, reporting about the 10 most valuable comics, Archie is #9.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2011/11/29/top-10-most-valuable-comic-books/

Archie's digest volumes continued to appear in grocery store checkout lines for years after spinner racks (and therefore, most comics) were removed from the stores in question. He has been featured in radio shows, syndicated comics strips (something that few characters who originated in comic books can boast--notably Superman and Spider-Man), and feature-length films as well as being a cultural touchstone for films like Chasing Amy and spawning a small army of imitators and spinoffs.

Again, Archie is not as relevant today as he was 20-30, definitely 50 years ago, but he is to American pop culture what Superman, Mickey and Spider Man are.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

2014 - WORST Spider-man movie ever made:

$500 Million Foreign Box Office

2013 - BEST Superman Movie ever made:

$377 Million Foreign Box Office

2012- Yet ANOTHER Batman Movie:

$636 Million Foreign Box Office

Superman, in terms of merchandise money, is NOT the the #1 superhero in the world. Or even #2.

Recognized? The big boys measure that in dollars.