• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee Says DC Has A Lot Of Catching Up To Do With Marvel Movies

75 posts in this topic

One thing to point out.

Yes Stan is right that Marvel has more popular characters than DC, but DC has the two biggest most iconic characters.

That`s not to be taken lightly.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on the big two. In fact if I was DC that`s all I would do.

That`s were the money is.

Anything Batman related is gold.

For years DC has tried to create another universe, and it always fails.

The New DC 52 being the latest failure example.

Yeah, they just sold millions of dollars of comics and trades over the last 3 1/2 years.... what a horrible failure.

If DC would just have two separate universes with one being the Superman Universe, and one being the Batman Universe they would do just fine.

All their failures are when they try to copy Marvel with having a universe.

I bet if you ask the majority of Batman and Superman fans they would be happy to kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb. :o

I'll bet you're wrong.

Pure Superman and Batman fans really have grown tired of that multiple universe nonsense.

Batman and Superman fans just rather read about their adventures in Gotham and Metropolis.

Must Superman and Batman be teamed up with every c-lister DC creates to get a jump for that c-listers sales?

I think it dilutes Batman and Superman.

Cheapens them.

Let`s face it the rest of the DC Universe needs the Superman and Batman mythos more than Batman and Superman need them.

Batman and Superman fans are buying out copies of Convergence so far....

Short-term fad like all their other multiple crossover events.

Next year it will be something else.

wash, rinse, repeat.

I would cancel the whole DC universe, then hire the best writers Warner Brothers can buy and start whole new Batman and Superman lines.

It would be the best current Superman and Batman comic books on the market.

I wouldn`t worry and focus my time that secondary type characters like Firestorm or Blue Beetle characters can thrive.

People want Batman and Superman, and my focus would be to give them the best Batman and Superman stories.

Nope. We won`t get that instead year after year they will continue to give us mediocre event universe stories.

At this time next year there will be another Convergence type event under a new name.

One thing to point out.

Yes Stan is right that Marvel has more popular characters than DC, but DC has the two biggest most iconic characters.

That`s not to be taken lightly.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on the big two. In fact if I was DC that`s all I would do.

That`s were the money is.

Anything Batman related is gold.

For years DC has tried to create another universe, and it always fails.

The New DC 52 being the latest failure example.

Yeah, they just sold millions of dollars of comics and trades over the last 3 1/2 years.... what a horrible failure.

If DC would just have two separate universes with one being the Superman Universe, and one being the Batman Universe they would do just fine.

All their failures are when they try to copy Marvel with having a universe.

I bet if you ask the majority of Batman and Superman fans they would be happy to kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb. :o

I'll bet you're wrong.

Pure Superman and Batman fans really have grown tired of that multiple universe nonsense.

Batman and Superman fans just rather read about their adventures in Gotham and Metropolis.

Must Superman and Batman be teamed up with every c-lister DC creates to get a jump for that c-listers sales?

I think it dilutes Batman and Superman.

Cheapens them.

Let`s face it the rest of the DC Universe needs the Superman and Batman mythos more than Batman and Superman need them.

Batman and Superman fans are buying out copies of Convergence so far....

Short-term fad like all their other multiple crossover events.

Next year it will something else.

wash, rinse, repeat.

I would cancel the whole DC universe, then hire the best writers Warner Brother can buy and start whole new Batman and Superman lines.

It would be the best current Superman and Batman comic books on the market.

I wouldn`t worry and focus my time that secondary type characters like Firestorm or Blue Beetle characters can thrive.

People want Batman and Superman, and my focus would be to give them the best Batman and Superman stories.

Nope. We won`t get that instead year after year they will continue to give us mediocre event universe stories.

At this time next year there will be another Convergence type event under a new name.

And people will buy it.

You'd go in with your plan right now while DC is selling more comics and trades than at any time in the last 20 years?

They wouldn't listen.

You may not like it, but business is up.

I thought Batman was one of the better selling titles overall :shrug:

also how many times have Marvel rebooted titles in the past year - It seems all I see on the Marvel shelves is low number issues

Thor (reboot), Captain America (reboot), Wolverine (dead), ASM (reboot).

I think more fans are liking how DC is handling their characters vs how Marvel has handled there top characters (see above).

Batman is probably the best super-hero comic the past 3 years from the big two

both Marvel and DC have a very short list of truly iconic characters: Spidey, Wolverine, Superman Batman. But the last 10 years have proved that lots of second and third tier characters when handled smartly either in movies and on TV can quickly gain tremendous cachet and brand awareness, and rise to iconic stature: Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Blade, Flash, Green Arrow, even fricken GROOT! etc etc.

It all rests on the execution and translation to these new media.

Movie wise, no doubt Marvel is crushing it.

But I think the roles are reversed for TV and animated movies.

And like someone else said above, anything Batman is gold. As long as whatever they put him in is average, it will make tons of money. TV, animated versions, or movies.

I'm not sure how popular Superman is anymore. I would say Spidey and Wolverine have passed him up in the present day.

people forget that Spiderman had 2 bankruptcy bailouts, first in 1985 when the character was bought by Cannon for $225,000, 2nd was not too long ago in 1999 for 7 mill..

Superman had no bailouts. And to me that translate as smarter property handling.

The argument is not whether Spidey outsells superman movie tickets, the question is who's more popular. Unfortunately we dont know Superman's net worth and so that aspect could be speculated, but probably not debated.

We do know that Superman is a household name in the comic history, not only as the first most popualr superhero, or most valuable comic, but also as a trendsetter of the Golden Age of comics. The only way to prove to the market how relevenat supes is, would probably be by killing him and seeing what the reaction would be.. Oh wait...

According to many comic book enthusiasts, Superman is not only responsible for the Golden Age, but also the Modern age of comics with DCs marketing of its character's demise. As deceptive as it was, it did prove to the market once again that Superman was as relevant in 1992 as he was was in 1938

The bigger question as far as popularity for me is not whether superman is bigger than Spiderman, but whether supes is bigger than Stan Lee

people forget that Spiderman had 2 bankruptcy bailouts, first in 1985 when the character was bought by Cannon for $225,000, 2nd was not too long ago in 1999 for 7 mill..

Superman had no bailouts. And to me that translate as smarter property handling.

The argument is not whether Spidey outsells superman movie tickets, the question is who's more popular. Unfortunately we dont know Superman's net worth and so that aspect could be speculated, but probably not debated.

We do know that Superman is a household name in the comic history, not only as the first most popualr superhero, or most valuable comic, but also as a trendsetter of the Golden Age of comics. The only way to prove to the market how relevenat supes is, would probably be by killing him and seeing what the reaction would be.. Oh wait...

According to many comic book enthusiasts, Superman is not only responsible for the Golden Age, but also the Modern age of comics with DCs marketing of its character's demise. As deceptive as it was, it did prove to the market once again that Superman was as relevant in 1992 as he was was in 1938

The bigger question as far as popularity for me is not whether superman is bigger than Spiderman, but whether supes is bigger than Stan Lee

thats kind of a interesting take on Marvel and bankruptcy. They only went bankrupt once when Wall St genius raider Perelman bought the company and proceeded to treat it like any of the ribber barons other buy and flip objects. They made a lot of mistakes with the property that led to the bankrupcy in the 90s. I don't know what you meant by Cannon films' place in Marvel history… they were just an Israeli film producer who bough the rights to Spidey in the 80s and failed to capitalize on the property. The rights were passed along from failed company to another for many years, leading to many competing claims to Spidey... until Ike and Avi assembled the film rights and landed the project at Sony.

Maybe I'm just biased, because I have never gotten into Superman comics.

Just not a character I enjoy...

That`s why they are teaming him up with Batman.

The stereotype of Superman to some is he is a goody two shoes and boring, while Batman is considered a bad-azz.

They are hoping that when people go see Batman v. Superman that people on the fence about Superman will change their opinion about him.

Brilliant move on their part I say.

Superman is on the same level as Mickey Mouse and to some extent Archie.

These 3 are probably the most iconic American made cartoon characters ever made. Period.

As popular and current as any other superhero will be, whether its on the silver screen or on paper. Superman will ALWAYS be the big daddy of them all. That probably also explains why Action #1 is by FAR the most collectible and valuable comic in history.

I think Stan is getting a little too carried away there. Its one thing to say that DC has to catch up with Marvel movies, but another to say "DC just has Superman, Batman and maybe Wonder Woman..."

First of all, Stan saying that DC has some catching up to do is the equivalent of posting this image on the forums. Gee, thanks for that revelation Stan zzz

Second of all, Marvel just does movies better. They've figured it out. DC still hasn't managed to do that. A JLA movie could rock just like the Avengers but for whatever reason, they just can't seem to put that together.

When DC can take a fringe team like Marvel did with GotG and turn it into a hit, then they will not be playing catch up anymore

I've really enjoyed the Marvel movies (except Spider man and the FF) and I really enjoyed Daredevil, but I agree that DC is moving along with their TV series.

Daredevil was almost like a movie because we all had the whole shebang available at one time, while the regular TV series (and as much as I try to like MAOS, the 3 DC ones are better) are playing out over a longer period of time and it gives them time to pick up more fans..

The Flash is definitely gathering more steam...and the DC shows have been introducing more strong female characters.

This SHOULD in theory give them an audience if and when they make a decent movie. I thought Man of Steel was a decent start, not as much fun as the Avengers, but I was not sorry I saw it.

DC has 2 very strong, iconic figures in Superman and Batman...and a very underutilized one in Wonder Woman. When the TV series with Linda Carter was on, she became a household name. That was a while ago and a whole generation of people never saw that series.

Right now, they really should start building up her character, there is a lot of potential there, because as much as I love Natasha, she's a 2nd banana in the Marvel films and it looks like The Scarlet Witch will be the same.....and there are an awful lot of women watching those tv shows...women who could move past watching the Flash and Arrow and even Gotham and watch movies..

I know that you guys are all thinking like men;) (of course) but there really is a large population of women who do shop, pick out movies they want to see...and watch TV.

So far, I'm not crazy about the Wonder Woman costume they are showing, but we'll see. The Batman movies were darker than I would have liked, but very good.

I'm not saying this because I'm a Wonder Woman fan, I am, but I was first a Batman fan.

When I started buying GA books, I was looking for Superman and Batman...most of the older ones were out of my reach. A good (very smart friend) told me to collect Wonder Woman...not because I was female, but because he thought her books were scarcer and compared to the others, way undervalued.

I used to be able to easily upgrade when I was looking for a copy...not so easy anymore, they've been steadily going up on eBay, Heritage, etc..

There is definitely potential for DC, if they can use the character. There just isn't another stronger more well known female icon available.

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are American pop culture staples. The latter being an integral part of women empowerment during our lifetime. In order for us to understand how difficult it is to manage these properties without damaging their legacy, I will quote with a phrase you are probably all too familiar with:

"With great power comes great responsibility"

DC has been doing it very well in the past 75+ years.

They probably dont have the latest and greatest at the moment (although Harley Quinn's current influences on market demographics may be studied in comic book history in the future), but they are coping with market trends just as I would expect any company who holds the rights to the (at least) 3 most prestigious characters in pop culture history.

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are American pop culture staples. The latter being an integral part of women empowerment during our lifetime. In order for us to understand how difficult it is to manage these properties without damaging their legacy, I will quote with a phrase you are probably all too familiar with:

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Wrong company.

DC has been doing it very well in the past 75+ years.

For more than half those years they've been #2 to Marvel in the market, including most of the last 45, so they aren't doing it all THAT well. Especially since #3 is generally "Everyone else."

They probably dont have the latest and greatest at the moment (although Harley Quinn's current influences on market demographics may be studied in comic book history in the future), but they are coping with market trends just as I would expect any company who holds the rights to the (at least) 3 most prestigious characters in pop culture history.

DC Comics would chop off Wonder Woman's head in a heart beat if they felt that was the right way to go.

'Prestige' and all of that doesn't mean squat to the company bottom line.

Case in point: Harley Quinn and her 'current influences on market demographics' - she's insane, and a killer, and the more insane they portray her in a story or a video game or a cartoon, and the more they make her a killer, the more popular she gets. Especially if they can add a slutty angle to it.

These are the editorial decision's of the company protecting the 'prestige' of Supes, Bats, and WW.

Superman is on the same level as Mickey Mouse and to some extent Archie.

These 3 are probably the most iconic American made cartoon characters ever made. Period.

As popular and current as any other superhero will be, whether its on the silver screen or on paper. Superman will ALWAYS be the big daddy of them all. That probably also explains why Action #1 is by FAR the most collectible and valuable comic in history.

I think Stan is getting a little too carried away there. Its one thing to say that DC has to catch up with Marvel movies, but another to say "DC just has Superman, Batman and maybe Wonder Woman..."

First of all, Stan saying that DC has some catching up to do is the equivalent of posting this image on the forums. Gee, thanks for that revelation Stan zzz

Second of all, Marvel just does movies better. They've figured it out. DC still hasn't managed to do that. A JLA movie could rock just like the Avengers but for whatever reason, they just can't seem to put that together.

When DC can take a fringe team like Marvel did with GotG and turn it into a hit, then they will not be playing catch up anymore

Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew?

Spider-man was never 'bankrupt' or bailed out., have no idea what you're talking about there.... and the question ISN'T who's more popular.. that's a fools errand... you may as well argue all day over who can win in a fight between Hulk and Wolverine. :eyeroll:

There's only one way to measure the viability of a franchise.... the money.

Who sells more comics? Spider-man.

Who sells more movies? Spider-man.

Who sells more toys? Spider-man.

When WAS the last full line of Superman toys? Superman Adventures? Spider-man's had like 6 full lines of toys since then.

It doesn't matter what 'enthusiasts' say, it doesn't matter what we read on the internet 20 years ago and repeat as some kind of 'fact' later on, it's all right there to see.

DC Comics, if they could SELL more Superman, would PRINT more Superman. And if they could SELL more Superman toys, they'd MAKE more Superman toys.

You don't see any shortage of Batman toys - know why? Because they sell them.

Yes, 70 year old dudes may recognize Superman more than Harley Quinn. But Spider-man? The guys 53 years old himself.