• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee Says DC Has A Lot Of Catching Up To Do With Marvel Movies

75 posts in this topic

What Stan Lee said is no shocker, by any means. DC does have a lot of catching up, but their biggest challenge (one Marvel does so effortlessly) is putting their characters together on the same screen & having them become beleavable on the same level with each other.

That is DC's real challenge.

Green Lantern was by far the biggest stinker DC has done in recent years. Without Batman and Superman, they are lost. Marvel is just light years ahead of them.

I am hopeful DC can get their act together but the latest Batman/Superman trailer doesn't leave me feeling good about it.

That is why I usually can never agree with anything you believe in.

All I saw from that trailer was exactly what I always wanted. Batman DK #4.

Green Lantern was by far the biggest stinker DC has done in recent years. Without Batman and Superman, they are lost. Marvel is just light years ahead of them.

I am hopeful DC can get their act together but the latest Batman/Superman trailer doesn't leave me feeling good about it.

You didn't want DK #4, you just wanted to see Batman fighting Superman.

Why does everyone want so badly to see Batman and Superman fight?

I'd rather see Wonder Woman beatin' the crud out of some alien warriors or this new Aquaman bustin' some heads.

I don't get it either. Miller did about as well as you can with such an uneven fight, but even he couldn't do it without the standard Kryptonite cheat. The entire concept of those two battling is about as cool to me as the idea of an ant taking on a human by first stinging someone who happens to be allergic to ants. :eek:

I'd rather see Wonder Woman beatin' the crud out of some alien warriors or this new Aquaman bustin' some heads.

+1

That would be much more interesting.

Wrong company.

Thats why I chose that quote, figured most of spideys fan will recognize it.

For more than half those years they've been #2 to Marvel in the market.. DC Comics would chop off Wonder Woman's head in a heart..

I will not argue speculations and assumptions. Not gonna happen, sorry dude

Until you bring actual figures of individual properties net worth, for both our valuable time sake, lets agree to disagree.

Case in point: Harley Quinn and her 'current influences on market demographics' - she's insane, and a killer..

DC knows how to differentiate market demographics into book categories.. Harley Quinn's neurotic behaviors fall short to graphic depictions of violence and rape in Moore's Watchmen in the 80s.

Spider-man was never 'bankrupt' or bailed out., have no idea what you're talking about there.... /quote]

Just pick one...

You're going to need to do that, because I'm not sure what you mean either. Marvel was out of bankruptcy when they sold the rights to Columbia Pictures (owned by Sony) in 1999. (shrug)

For more than half those years they've been #2 to Marvel in the market.. DC Comics would chop off Wonder Woman's head in a heart..

I will not argue speculations and assumptions. Not gonna happen, sorry dude

Until you bring actual figures of individual properties net worth, for both our valuable time sake, lets agree to disagree.

How's this.

Spider-man is the world's most profitable superhero. By far.

Here's the short article for those that don't want to click the link:

SPIDER-MAN Is World's Most Profitable Superhero (And It's Not Even Close)

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can, spins a web, any size, catches thieves just like flies. Look out! Here comes the Spider-Man! THR has revealed details about Marvel & DC's licensing revenue & with that also revealed that Spider-Man is the most profitable superhero in the world!

By Rohan Patel - 11/15/2014

source: imgur.com

It's no secret that the Disney-owned Marvel Studios and the Warner Bros-owned DC Comics have essentially been at war these past few years as they've both managed to transform themselves into billion-dollar film juggernauts. Between 2015 and 2020, Marvel has eleven films set to arrive, not including any Sony-produced Spider-Man films or Fox-produced X-Men films, while DC has ten films in the works, not including potential solo films for Superman or Batman.

A majority of the recent focus has been placed on their film futures, but The Hollywood Reporter has provided details about a key financial underpin of the war: licensing revenue. Even though it may not sound flashy, licensing revenue is just as important, if not more important, than their film revenue. However, just like the current status of their film competition, this is another aspect where Marvel reigns supreme, thanks mostly to their most popular hero (and oddly enough one of the film properties they don't own), everyone's friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Last year, Marvel sold approximately $1.3B worth of Spider-Man products, which is approximately four times the $325M they made from the Avengers. Meanwhile, their competition over at DC has struggled to keep up. Unsurprisingly, their most popular property was Batman, who brought in a respectable $494M, while their second most popular hero, Superman, brought it about $277M.

Check out the graphs below to get a better grasp of Spider-Man's worldwide popularity as well as Marvel's current domination over DC in licensing:

BUqziJk.jpg

source: imgur.com

Pretty impressive numbers for Spidey.. what do you guys think? Hypothetically speaking, if Marvel reaquired Spidey's film rights, could they be even more powerful and successful than they currently are? Sound off with your thoughts below!

Here's the original story from the Hollywood Reporter:

Which Superhero earns 1.3 Billion a Year?

"On Oct. 15, Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara said that if he can close the current gap by half, the studio could earn an additional $150 million a year in profits. How big is the gap? In May, License Global placed Disney first among licensors with sales of about $41 billion in 2013; Warners was seventh with $6 billion. Both have strong properties: The Licensing Letter listed Marvel's Spider-Man global retail sales at $1.3 billion and Avengers at $325 million in 2013, compared with DC's Batman at $494 million and Superman at $277 million."