• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

I finally bought a Heritage book, albeit after the main event. One of the few Four Colors I am missing is # 664 (Davy Crockett the Great Keelboat Races). To be fair, the copy for sale is the one and only 9.4 (next best is a pair of 9.0's). The book last sold in 2003 for $281. Guides in 9.2 is about $250.

Anyway I put in a bid at $350, thinking it was absolutely crazy ($420 with BP). At the last minute I threw in an absolutely insane bid of $650 ($780 with BP), just to "make sure" I won the book. Going live it was at $320. I was thinking $500 absolute tops. I then walked away, waiting for the dust to settle. The book eventually sold at exactly $650. One more bid and I would have lost it.

This is 3X guide and 3X the last sale, For a Four Color book no less. Unlike the EC books I lost, the stakes here were relatively small, a couple of hundred bucks.

But I am left asking: Who has this kind of money to throw around so recklessly? How are entire auctions worth of Gaines File copies suddenly worth 2X what they were two years ago, or even a year ago? How does a relatively obscure Four Color book go for 3X guide?

I always hope that when the day comes that I need to sell my collection things will be something like this. This auction gives me hope that there may yet be a "greater fool" when I need him down the road sometime.

The description did note 7 international bidders... Foreign money? Hard to believe...

.... actually, the Four Color run with it's plethora of film and TV adaptations are exactly the type of books that would appeal to foreign collectors....they loves 'em some Hollywood. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I finally bought a Heritage book, albeit after the main event. One of the few Four Colors I am missing is # 664 (Davy Crockett the Great Keelboat Races). To be fair, the copy for sale is the one and only 9.4 (next best is a pair of 9.0's). The book last sold in 2003 for $281. Guides in 9.2 is about $250.

Anyway I put in a bid at $350, thinking it was absolutely crazy ($420 with BP). At the last minute I threw in an absolutely insane bid of $650 ($780 with BP), just to "make sure" I won the book. Going live it was at $320. I was thinking $500 absolute tops. I then walked away, waiting for the dust to settle. The book eventually sold at exactly $650. One more bid and I would have lost it.

This is 3X guide and 3X the last sale, For a Four Color book no less. Unlike the EC books I lost, the stakes here were relatively small, a couple of hundred bucks.

But I am left asking: Who has this kind of money to throw around so recklessly? How are entire auctions worth of Gaines File copies suddenly worth 2X what they were two years ago, or even a year ago? How does a relatively obscure Four Color book go for 3X guide?

I always hope that when the day comes that I need to sell my collection things will be something like this. This auction gives me hope that there may yet be a "greater fool" when I need him down the road sometime.

The description did note 7 international bidders... Foreign money? Hard to believe...

.... actually, the Four Color run with it's plethora of film and TV adaptations are exactly the type of books that would appeal to foreign collectors....they loves 'em some Hollywood. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Could well be it. Last time I checked (it's been a while) the Disney DVDs of the Davy Crockett TV shows were going for high prices.

There's probably also a 9.4 effect going on. Everything that was highest graded or a pedigree seemed to go high in that auction.

It's interesting that some FCs seems fairly plentiful in 9.2 and above and other are brutal in those grades.

You think Davy Crocketts appeals to foreign buyers? hm I'll take the other side of that bet! I can't imagine an American historical figure in a coonskin cap doing anything for someone from France

For my 2c I think it's much more likely that it went for a strong price because it was highest graded

Again, as I stated earlier you would not believe the growth of the international market... I have seen website traffic report and its growth. As time goes on we and top grade GA is going to take a bump on the final auction price. It's not a bad thing but it is just gonna cost a little more to acquire.

Not trying to be snarky, but the simple answer is...collectors like you.

If you had not thrown out that 3X bid someone else would have won it for 2.5X. That person is probably asking himself what "what crazy person bid $650 on a Davy Crockett?"

I think the market.... Especially high grade quality chic graded comics will show price growth due to it being a worldwide market

Once the chics get involved prices always go up, right Sharon?

It will be interesting to see what material ha brings to the table in the "magic" collection if the suspense 3 is any indication ... Look for record breaking prices in this next ha siginture auction.

You think Davy Crocketts appeals to foreign buyers? hm I'll take the other side of that bet! I can't imagine an American historical figure in a coonskin cap doing anything for someone from France

Heh. Behold the Davy Crockett Ranch Disney resort in France:

100794.jpg

I don't know if it translates to comic collecting, but some of the historical frontier figures are huge internationally. Buffalo Bill's Wild West show toured all over Europe in his day.

It will be interesting to see what material ha brings to the table in the "magic" collection if the suspense 3 is any indication ... Look for record breaking prices in this next ha siginture auction.
I think he has more hg silver than gold...9.6 ss ff48 among others

100794.jpg

I don't know if it translates to comic collecting, but some of the historical frontier figures are huge internationally. Buffalo Bill's Wild West show toured all over Europe in his day.

Ha! Touche.

I dunno though. I was born in Italy and moved here as a child... nobody in Italy ever heard of no Davy Crockett, I'll tell you that!

:preach:

I think Bedrock's answer "collectors like you" is closer to the truth. Wanted to say that at the time but I was afraid I'd sound snarky myself!

100794.jpg

Italians produced Spaghetti Western movies and Westerns were a common theme among the Franco-Belgium comic albums.

I think it more likely you encountered an American fan of the Disney Davy Crockett movie/TV Series. When you mentioned this comic, I thought, "that sounds kinda cool," though I didn't bid on it.

Hey Markseifert, question, because you seem to know particulars concerning sales data and such: it's been well documented that Captain Marvel outsold Superman during the golden age. Was Mary Marvel/Wow bigger sellers than Wonder Woman? I'm inclined to think no, because her mags ceased publication before Cap and Cap Jr's, but Fawcett was so formidable one never knows. Thanks in advance. Oh and I know.. :signofftopic:

100794.jpg

Italians produced Spaghetti Western movies and Westerns were a common theme among the Franco-Belgium comic albums.

I think it more likely you encountered an American fan of the Disney Davy Crockett movie/TV Series. When you mentioned this comic, I thought, "that sounds kinda cool," though I didn't bid on it.

Yes, they are generally quite interested in the old west and the native indian and so on, but not particularly in any character. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Davy Crockett would draw blank stares but make a good story in that genre and they'll be interested. IMO

Ie. Tex, Zagor, Blueberry, etc. Their own takes on that time. If you were a French collector you're going to want a first edition blueberry not a random four color.

I think Bedrock's answer "collectors like you" is closer to the truth. Wanted to say that at the time but I was afraid I'd sound snarky myself!

Bedrock is the Snarkmaster General and he has an unreadable poker face to match. (worship)