• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

If publishers increase the print runs so much that the secondary market is eliminated then we're back to 90s crash levels. I don't think they're dumb enough to do that right now, but history repeats itself when it comes to humans not learning their lesson so yea it's not entirely out of the question in the future.

If publishers increase the print runs so much that the secondary market is eliminated then we're back to 90s crash levels. I don't think they're dumb enough to do that right now, but history repeats itself when it comes to humans not learning their lesson so yea it's not entirely out of the question in the future.

Sure they are. Publishers don't care about the secondary market.

I'm pretty sure the guys in the industry right now remember the last time they didn't give a mess about the secondary market. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit though.

I mean... wasn't the crash in some respect about the quality (or general lack thereof) of the content being produced? The mainstream was pretty much all capes all the time wasn't it? Aren't we a slight bit more diversified now?

I mean, I have no idea what is coming, but things seem much different to me these days than they were in those days.

I'm pretty sure the guys in the industry right now remember the last time they didn't give a mess about the secondary market. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit though.

The correction shouldn't be like the 90's because the publishers put in some safeguards. This is why you see more additional printings. The current buying frenzy has to cool. It's silly to think it can maintain the status quo.

Agreed although some will disappear, some (most) cons will disappear and the buyers will dry up. I don't think stores will be left holding the inventory. It's the speculators buying 20 copies that believe comics can only go up.

If a crash occurs what are the top 20 books that are going to loose 50 percent of more of there value.... After reading this thread I already know most of you are saving your cash for the silver and bronze so I think those will survive..

Crash list... Fill them in..

1... Teen titans 2 ....

2 Any modern variant that's not a key first appearance

3 dc comics presents 26

The fact so many people want a crash and massive price drop makes me think it's wishful thinking. Prices only go down when demand goes down.

lol

You got it all figured out. (thumbs u

Don't believe me?

Just watch.

Gotta kiss myself I'm so pretty

Uptown funk you up.

If a crash occurs what are the top 20 books that are going to loose 50 percent of more of there value.... After reading this thread I already know most of you are saving your cash for the silver and bronze so I think those will survive..

Crash list... Fill them in..

1... Teen titans 2 ....

2 Any modern variant that's not a key first appearance

3 dc comics presents 26

In general I think books published since the '90s crash would be hurt the most

So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

Will people stop going to the movies?

If not, what will they prefer to superhero movies?

Sad dramas?

Dumb-and-dumber-hangovers?

Teen musicals?

Fast-cars-keep-driving-faster?

Westerns?

Pole-dancing-dudes-part-12?

Obviously, Star Wars is expected to do well... once a year... or once every two years.

But what else?

I can see how people may get tired of superhero movies, but I don't see what's next... unless it's empty theaters.

Do you remember the 80s and early 90s when action movies were the top box office draw? While those types of movies still exist, they don't make the same kind of money they use to.

Just because we cannot imagine a replacement for the current superhero fad doesn't mean there won't be one. I suspect we still have a few more years left before the public grows wary of superheroes though.

Action movies have always and will always sell.. If 80s and 90s werent mostly based on comic books it doesnt mean that comic books took over action flicks.. most comic book based flicks ARE action movies. And lets not forget movies based on best selling books which are doing better than ever; hunger games, lotr, potter, yup even 50 shades...

That doesnt mean that movies based on books are now all the rage, they have been for almost as long as movies have been made. The only thing that happened recently is the discovery of CAPITALIZING on these characters which we have been following for almost a century in some cases. I dont think its a fad, its natural progression

There's a LOT of differences this time, such as:

The print runs are 1/10th of what they were back in the 90's

There aren't hundreds of Joe Never-Read-A-Comic's hoarding 25 copies of every #1 issue thinking that it's going to be their retirement in a year

Stores aren't marking new issues up 100-500% on release day to sell to everyone except their pull-list subscribers

Stores aren't over-ordering every new-character-intro or #1 for those 25-copy-hoarders (they have the incentive variants that help offset the cost of most of the extra copies sitting on the shelves & the shipping increases)

and the stories, while we may not like them, aren't complete junk just to saturate the market & get another new #1 on the shelves every 2 weeks.

Plus, the companies are actually developing new talent for when other talent moves on to theIr creator-owned titles (unlike in the 90's when they never quite recovered from the Image 7 leaving) or the video game or movie industry. They can survive losses of talent this time around without struggling to get anyone that can hold a pencil to draw or string together a sentence of prose.

Actually it seems like theyre not. Batman 40 this opening week is testament of that, a much hyped book with probably staggering numbers, which went to 2nd print before it was released. You think DC couldnt overprint?

I think the buzz around collectors block; ebay, cgc, etc, are all getting thrown into the mix when creating a modern key. DC will cash in on the second print, and the 3rd, and the 4th

The correction shouldn't be like the 90's because the publishers put in some safeguards know how to avoid douchebags like Ron Perelman. This is why you see more additional printings. The current buying frenzy has to cool. It's silly to think it can maintain the status quo.

I hope