• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC SUPER HERO MOVIES IN TROUBLE?

85 posts in this topic

If they don't hire Bruce Timm as a universe-consultant it's their own damn fault. A whole room full of executives wouldn't match having his expertise involved. Consultant, advisor, whatever title they'd listen to. Hire. Him.

The movies will be fine and released in the end due to the money they can generate. It just may take a bit more time for Warner to get their poop in a group.

The should pick someone to oversee the expanded DC cinematic universe, though. As much as I loved his GL books, I am not sure that Johns is the right person after the GL movie returns.......

If they don't hire Bruce Timm as a universe-consultant it's their own damn fault. A whole room full of executives wouldn't match having his expertise involved. Consultant, advisor, whatever title they'd listen to. Hire. Him.

You're exactly right. They need a guy like Bruce Timm that knows the universe, knows the characters, and knows Hollywood.

You're exactly right. They need a guy like Bruce Timm that knows the universe, knows the characters, and knows Hollywood.

It's been said a number of times about Bruce Timm being the solid glue that kept the DCAU together.

But I think some of this concern is noise. When you read some of the early development of the DC TV shows like Arrow and Constantine, there were a few actors that said they had to meet with Geoff Johns as the Chief Creative Officer of DC to pitch modifications to characters. Stephen Amell has mentioned this a few times now, including when there was a concern the DC movie universe and TV universe were not completely linked.

I just don't see Geoff Johns as a Great & Powerful Oz type guy the way Feige is with Marvel's live-action offerings. Someone that can really pull the strings & keep everything in line for everything going on & have a singular vision that, like any good chess player, can be adjusted as necessary but with the endgame still in mind.

My guess is it's the difference between simple "top down" or "ground up" approaches.

'Top down' is WB Execs jonesing for Marvel dollars and trying to get there by organizing a throne-room of egos and bean counters.

'Ground up' would be pulling in the best artisans and accomplished pros available, something the arrogance-factor probably doesn't allow.

My guess is it's the difference between simple "top down" or "ground up" approaches.

'Top down' is WB Execs jonesing for Marvel dollars and trying to get there by organizing a throne-room of egos and bean counters.

'Ground up' would be pulling in the best artisans and accomplished pros available, something the arrogance-factor probably doesn't allow.

Marvel has a pretty top-down approach, but the thing is, they just trust the decisions to be made by1 guy. They also trust him to make the best decisions with where to give creative control to artists/directors/writers & where to pull back on the leash a little bit (or in the case of Wright, cut the leash entirely & get a new guy in there)

I just don't see Geoff Johns as a Great & Powerful Oz type guy the way Feige is with Marvel's live-action offerings. Someone that can really pull the strings & keep everything in line for everything going on & have a singular vision that, like any good chess player, can be adjusted as necessary but with the endgame still in mind.

As far as a joined universe, all we have seen so far is MOS when it comes to movies. Meanwhile TV shows like The Flash and Arrow are playing off of one another, along with the team show Legends of Tomorrow next year. Gotham took time to come together, but even that is starting to shine. And then we have Supegirl coming out soon. Add to this Constantine that if NBC makes the right move, we are going to see even more DC characters.

MOS => BvS => JL is the real cinema link, with Suicide Squad and other movies starting to feed into this picture. The only thing I think was a miss was not factoring the Nolan Batman franchise into this overall picture. With two of its movies exceeding $1 billion, these were far from a lost cause.

To be honest, I don't need a cohesive DC universe in the movies. I don't get it in the comics, and haven't for years. If they want top filmmakers to guide the narrative, that works for me.

I have been under the impression that most of the TV (at least Flash/Arrow/spin-off coming and possibly Supergirl) were mostly helmed by Berlanti & co rather than Johns having much of anything to do with it. But maybe I'm wrong.

As for the movies, again... I guess we'll see, but my knowledge of Johns gives me an OK feel for his understanding of all-things-DC (though not great) on the character level, but I just don't know if he can navigate the ego-centric waters of Hollywood to serve as a Feige-like guy for DC in any effective manner. I have a feeling it'll be more of a "by committee" (which can be OK) but with a large portion of the committee being WB execs rather than anyone that actually knows the characters or anything.

MoS didn't exactly fill me with positive feelings & what I've seen so far of BvS hasn't really made me confident that they'll fix the things that I thought felt wrong about MoS and rather, double-down on them. I might be in the minority but I'm just unsure they really have anyone there that knows how to un-Hollywood-is-terrified-of-superheroes-actually-being-superheroes-ify things that seems to have infected WB/FOX/Sony (admittedly less so recently than a few years ago) & that really can connect with the cores of the characters. I didn't feel like they did that at least in the 1st outing.

In my mind the 'Nolan Batman' franchise brings up the problem of 'multiple Batmans'. One that's great for Crime Noir might not work at all for facing off with Darkseid.

Which brings me back to Timm. The DC Universe is a strange and wonderful place requiring an all-purpose Batman. And a fully realized "any situation" Batman that never breaks character is no easy thing....

I have been under the impression that most of the TV (at least Flash/Arrow/spin-off coming and possibly Supergirl) were mostly helmed by Berlanti & co rather than Johns having much of anything to do with it. But maybe I'm wrong.

Did ARROW Lead Star Stephen Amell Hint at Possible DC Cinematic Universe and TV crossover?

Recently, it was confirmed that both the cinematic and TV universes are part of the same multiverse. What does this mean? Well, it is possible for heroes within the TV universe to knock heads with those in the cinematic world, but it would take years of planning before anything like this would ever happen.

During the interview, Amell gave us hope after he stated that he spoke with Geoff Johns, and he left the conversation feeling great.

"The plans that Warner Bros. has, and it's a great plan, overall, and DC has for the introduction to the Justice League of America and all the standalone films, is going to take place over the course of five to six years. So who knows what could happen" said Amell. "I've had some great conversations with Geoff Johns, who is DC's Chief Creative Officer. We had this conversation shortly after these announcements were made, and I came away from the conversation feeling great."

Johns is DC's CCO. But that's also the same position that Joe Q holds with Marvel. It doesn't make him at all an authority in the film or TV division (though in fairness, DC doesn't have a studio either & work entirely thru WB so maybe that job at DC is more multi-media focused? I don't know) ... and while Joe Q offers input and gets some consulting work with the TV & movie division, he doesn't have any real decision making powers.

... so if the CCO job is in any way similar from company-to-company, Amell talking with Johns could just as easily ended up basically with Johns saying "look, I don't have any real pull in the tv & film divisions, but they listen to my ideas a lot of the time because I know the characters, and I'm going to keep pushing for your Arrow show to be another universe in a DC multiverse. But I can't make any promises. At least it's better then when they were saying there's no connection between TV and big screen, right?"

We would be assuming a Chief Creative Officer in the comic book industry always matches one another. I have nothing to prove or disprove that. Just the various interviews where actors are meeting with Johns and talking about he has the plan. What that means, only they know.

Same here. I mean, they're the same title with different companies. They might or might not have jobs of similar authority/duties/responsibilities, but I honestly couldn't say with any degree of certainty. But assuming they are similar, Johns having the CCO job at DC doesn't necessarily make him any more or less of an authority in the tv & movie side of the business than Joe Q's similar title at Marvel does. Could be the same, could be a totally different job. Don't know. Just saying that they're the same title for each guy & the one guy with that title, I know doesn't have any control of the tv/movie divisions.

Though I guess Joe could give Jeph Loeb some if he ignores him on the TV side if/when Loeb writes a comic for the comics division. haha

a lot of people forget that Marvel Comics has Marvel Studios with Kevin Feige which has builded their own financial with the movies in the last couple of years. DC only has DC to handle the comics, TV, Movies, and animations. i do think Johns can be the one to help build the universe and have them understand the chacaters their bring into the universe. but we also forgert that Marvel Studios also had some bumps in the beginning building their universe. we don't know anything from WB/DC at this moment on how they are building their universe and the storys that are going to unfold. lets just say come SDCC WB announces that they have created DC Studios to be a sub company that takes care of all TV, Movies, and animations for WB/DC and have a team to create and build the DCCMU and have two more movies out beside MOS under it's belt then some poeple would come down.

+1,000,000

i dont see anything from wrong from WB/DC looking at different writers for both films in the article. it can be a great way to find the best screenplay and maybe find the best person to write it so it can be made into a movie.