• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC SUPER HERO MOVIES IN TROUBLE?

85 posts in this topic

If they don't hire Bruce Timm as a universe-consultant it's their own damn fault. A whole room full of executives wouldn't match having his expertise involved. Consultant, advisor, whatever title they'd listen to. Hire. Him.

+1,000,000

i would agree but WB needs to make a DC Studios that way they can have Bruce be the guy that helps build the universe just not for movies but TV and animation.

If they don't hire Bruce Timm as a universe-consultant it's their own damn fault. A whole room full of executives wouldn't match having his expertise involved. Consultant, advisor, whatever title they'd listen to. Hire. Him.

+1,000,000

i would agree but WB needs to make a DC Studios that way they can have Bruce be the guy that helps build the universe just not for movies but TV and animation.

The bottom line is they will have a hard time making non-Superman and Batman movies to be profitable.

I wish them well, but it`s going to be hard to pull off.

Green Lantern bombed, and everybody thinks of the CW versions of Arrow and Flash as the definite versions now.

So what non-Superman/Batman characters do they have left that the audience will rush out to see?

Aquaman?

Wonder Woman?

Valiant might be a better bet in the long run than DC for a movie universe.

Small,more modern and not as confusing as DC.

+1,000,000

The bottom line is they will have a hard time making non-Superman and Batman movies to be profitable.

I wish them well, but it`s going to be hard to pull off.

Green Lantern bombed, and everybody thinks of the CW versions of Arrow and Flash as the definite versions now.

So what non-Superman/Batman characters do they have left that the audience will rush out to see?

Aquaman?

Wonder Woman?

Valiant might be a better bet in the long run than DC for a movie universe.

Small,more modern and not as confusing as DC.

i think if Valiant does a great job on building their universe their would even give marvel hard time just not DC.

with the Green lantern movie their were some awesome scene in it mostly the one in space. if the wonder woman movie is both a character driven and mix with some action in it and moves the story foward, then it wont have a problem. has for the flash i would hope that in the movies is not barry but wally inserted. DC has some great characters like Marvel that can become even more know out side of comics.

I've had this feeling all along.

While I considered MOS a terrific movie (it was better the second time around) and the Batman movies were terrific, DC have been asleep at the wheel while Marvel slugs out movie tie in after movie tie in FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS!!!

They're scattered and unfocused, that much is obvious.

They need to slow down and make smart moves but judging by all the behind the scenes scrambling that the article is talking about they are panicking.

I agree (and I think I said this a while ago) that they need someone like Feige to tie it all together.

I haven't followed the DC animated universe much but Timm sounds like a good idea.

I haven't followed the DC animated universe much but Timm sounds like a good idea.
Mr. Roy, you do not know what you are missing.

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

11. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

12. Wonder Woman***

13. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

14. Batman: Year One***

15. Superman: Doomsday***

16. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

17. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

18. Superman Unbound***

19. Green Lantern: First Flight***

20. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

21. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

22. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

23. The Batman Vs. Dracula**1/2

24. Justice League: Doom**

25. Justice League: War*1/2

26: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

They kind of balance out the bad movies. (thumbs u

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

Darn you, Mister NewEnglandGothic! More movies must be bought now.

:ohnoez:

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

Darn you, Mister NewEnglandGothic! More movies must be bought now.

:ohnoez:

It's the perfect therapy for those who aren't happy with most live-action DC productions. It is amazing Bruce Timm isn't the properties onto celluloid. :screwy:

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

If anyone notices about this good list of great movies is the majority of them are Batman and Superman focused.

That`s been my contention all along is DC should just stick to making the best Batman and Superman movies they can make.

That`s what mainstream wants to see good Batman and Superman movies.

Same thing with their comic book line just focuses on Batman`s Gotham and Superman`s Metropolis universes.

As a Batman and Superman fan I am kind of sick of the rest of the DC Universe screwing up and wading down my two favorite characters mythos.

Same thing will happen in the future in that we will have a good Batman v. Superman movie than a bunch of mediocre filler movies about DC c-lister heroes that not many want to see.

DC would be wise and kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb and just focus on Batman and Superman movies.

Occasionally they can do something with Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman on the CW, but for their major pictures just focus on Superman and Batman.

Occasionally they can do something with Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman on the CW, but for their major pictures just focus on Superman and Batman.

I wouldn't write off movies like Wonder Woman (2009) or Green Lantern: First Flight. Nor the five JL animated movies. Add to this the Shazam-Superman team-up. I guess the list goes on from there.

I think what Warner Brothers is starting to figure out is they could make 7 Batman and Superman movies over the next 12 years that are guaranteed box office gold or make 7 movies like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg that all will have trouble each making 100 million domestically!

:o

Yes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg will all have a hard time breaking 100 million each domestically.

The reasons why I say under 100 million each.

Wonder Woman = A character who had the lowest selling animated DC movie of all-time and who will fail in comparison to Lynda Carter just like Brandon Routh did compared to Christopher Reeve. Plus Barbie is having a live-action movie around the same time. I bet Barbie will destroy Wonder Woman at the box office.

Green Lantern = Perception of a bomb just like the New Judge Dredd movie was awesome, but nobody went to see it because of the perception of the old Sly Stallone Judge Dredd bomb.

Shazam= Like the Rock, but his recent Hercules movie couldn't`t break 75 million domestically.

Last time I looked Hercules was well known more than Shazam.

Aquaman = Again I like Jason Momoa, but his Conan The Barbarian couldn`t break 25 million domestically, plus his Aquaman doesn't look like the Aquaman version people grew up on. This will turn people off.

Flash = There is already a popular Flash TV show. This alternative version of Flash will confuse people. They won`t want to see it because their Flash is on TV.

Cyborg = People are use to Cyborg as being a comedy character now thanks to the Teen Titans show on Cartoon Network. Plus this far out mainstream will have got tired of DC heroes.

So this is what`s happening. The Warner Bros people have figured out that they can make many Batman and Superman movies that are guaranteed gold at the box office or make questionable box office duds.

It`s a business.

Suicide Squad is the key.

If it`s a hit than open the floodgates.

If not than pull the plug.

In fairness (or maybe in defense of my man-crush on the Rock), Hercules suffered from coming out mere months after another completely different, very mediocre & pointless Hercules movie. That probably confused the potential audience with a "didn't this already come out once this year?" thought.

In fairness (or maybe in defense of my man-crush on the Rock), Hercules suffered from coming out mere months after another completely different, very mediocre & pointless Hercules movie. That probably confused the potential audience with a "didn't this already come out once this year?" thought.

Good point, but that adds to the Green Lantern and Flash theory.

The new Judge Dredd movie was awesome, but because of the mediocre Judge Dredd movie by Stallone not many gave the new Judge Dredd a chance.

btw. I absolutely loved the new Hercules with Rock, but not many cared to see it because of the mediocre Hercules that came out before it.

With Flash they are all invested in the CW version. Having somebody else play their guy is going to turn off the audience who would go see it.

I can only imagine the comparison that will get made between the TV and film versions.

I don't know if it necessarily supports that or not. It could, but it could be seen differently too. Had the other Hercules come out 5 or 7 years prior, like would be the case with GL, it might have been a big turn off because of how bad Ryan Reynolds GL was or maybe audiences might be more willing to give it a chance since it was many years later, looked different & with a different guy playing him. I don't know.

I think, in the case of Hercules, it was the "mere months" part that hurt it most, not that they were necessarily turned away by a previously released inferior movie. Just that they were turned away by a previously released inferior movie only like 3 months ago.

I don't know if it necessarily supports that or not. It could, but it could be seen differently too. Had the other Hercules come out 5 or 7 years prior, like would be the case with GL, it might have been a big turn off because of how bad Ryan Reynolds GL was or maybe audiences might be more willing to give it a chance since it was many years later, looked different & with a different guy playing him. I don't know.

I think, in the case of Hercules, it was the "mere months" part that hurt it most, not that they were necessarily turned away by a previously released inferior movie. Just that they were turned away by a previously released inferior movie only like 3 months ago.

The Judge Dredd with Stallone came out in 1995,while the new Dredd came out in 2012.

A longer time then either Hercules or Green Lantern.

Once a bad perception gets made it`s hard to change it.

The Green Lantern brand is considered mediocre now.

I`ll even go a step farther, and will be shocked if one of these upcoming movies Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg

beat Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern Domestic Total Gross: $116,601,172.

I just don`t see it, and we can bet the Warner Brothers people don`t see it either, so that`s why they are getting cold feet about these movies.

If Suicide Squad can`t beat Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern at 117 million than I would seriously think the plug will be pulled.

In fairness, the new Dredd didn't really have terribly interesting trailers, it got a screwy staggered release schedule (at least here, I don't think it had a wide release), wasn't in all of the theaters & required people to track it down, and was, at least as I recall, had a questionable release date with some decent competition when people needed a little bit of a breather after Avengers & I think it had some pretty good competition around the time of its release. It looked like a generic action movie when the trailers were coming out & I couldn't even find out when it was coming out around here.

I'm still not sure it was necessarily the Judge Dredd "ugh"-factor that really played into it that much. But I might be wrong.

Wonder Woman = A character who had the lowest selling animated DC movie of all-time and who will fail in comparison to Lynda Carter just like Brandon Routh did compared to Christopher Reeve. Plus Barbie is having a live-action movie around the same time. I bet Barbie will destroy Wonder Woman at the box office.

You do realize the $7 MM shown for the Wonder Woman 2009 animated movie was only covering the first few weeks it was released, right?

Within two weeks of being released, an animated movie brought in $2,743,287 with a character that hadn't even experienced any recent big push to bring her forward as a key character in years. That's not bad. Imagine if Warner/DC had actually put some effort into advertising this movie.