• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC SUPER HERO MOVIES IN TROUBLE?

85 posts in this topic

Wonder Woman = A character who had the lowest selling animated DC movie of all-time and who will fail in comparison to Lynda Carter just like Brandon Routh did compared to Christopher Reeve. Plus Barbie is having a live-action movie around the same time. I bet Barbie will destroy Wonder Woman at the box office.

You do realize the $7 MM shown for the Wonder Woman 2009 animated movie was only covering the first few weeks it was released, right?

Within two weeks of being released, an animated movie brought in $2,743,287 with a character that hadn't even experienced any recent big push to bring her forward as a key character in years. That's not bad. Imagine if Warner/DC had actually put some effort into advertising this movie.

I want the DC movies to do good, but realistically I think expectations for them are so high because of the Marvel movies.

All these DC movie could be well-made, but my point is I don`t think they will do gangbusters at the box office like some fans think they will do.

Dredd,and Hercules prove good movies sometime don`t do good box office.

I would expect most of these DC movies to do 50 to 99 million domestically.

I`m watching Suicide Squad`s box office. That`s the one.

We all know Batman v. Superman will do 1 billion plus.

Let`s see what Suicide Squad does.

So in conclusion,

These movies could turn out very well made, but I don`t see them killing it at the box office.

Warner is now getting cold feet about their box office profitability as well.

It`s just so much more profitable to make more Superman and Batman movies.

I think what Warner Brothers is starting to figure out is they could make 7 Batman and Superman movies over the next 12 years that are guaranteed box office gold or make 7 movies like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg that all will have trouble each making 100 million domestically!

:o

Yes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg will all have a hard time breaking 100 million each domestically.

The reasons why I say under 100 million each.

Wonder Woman = A character who had the lowest selling animated DC movie of all-time and who will fail in comparison to Lynda Carter just like Brandon Routh did compared to Christopher Reeve. Plus Barbie is having a live-action movie around the same time. I bet Barbie will destroy Wonder Woman at the box office.

Green Lantern = Perception of a bomb just like the New Judge Dredd movie was awesome, but nobody went to see it because of the perception of the old Sly Stallone Judge Dredd bomb.

Shazam= Like the Rock, but his recent Hercules movie couldn't`t break 75 million domestically.

Last time I looked Hercules was well known more than Shazam.

Aquaman = Again I like Jason Momoa, but his Conan The Barbarian couldn`t break 25 million domestically, plus his Aquaman doesn't look like the Aquaman version people grew up on. This will turn people off.

Flash = There is already a popular Flash TV show. This alternative version of Flash will confuse people. They won`t want to see it because their Flash is on TV.

Cyborg = People are use to Cyborg as being a comedy character now thanks to the Teen Titans show on Cartoon Network. Plus this far out mainstream will have got tired of DC heroes.

So this is what`s happening. The Warner Bros people have figured out that they can make many Batman and Superman movies that are guaranteed gold at the box office or make questionable box office duds.

It`s a business.

Suicide Squad is the key.

If it`s a hit than open the floodgates.

If not than pull the plug.

Man, those rose (Marvel) colored glasses really skew your perception of things. DC does not need super hits out of the gate. Marvel didn't have them. So what if Green Lantern didn't make Avengers money? Seriously, the early Marvel movies (Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Thor, even Iron Man) didn't exactly break records either.

DC will be just fine with a few $150-200 million dollar domestic movies. And none of these movies you listed will make under $100 million domestically.

The problem DC will have is if they feel they need huge blockbusters for everything they make. They don't and shouldn't aim for that. They should be building just like Marvel did so when their characters come together, then the money begins to pour in. And they definitely shouldn't care what a few Marvel tainted zombies think about their offering.

It is unfortunate that you are so obviously biased towards Marvel because you put so much work into bringing movie numbers to this forum. It would be interesting to be an actual balanced opinion and numbers on things.

CC

please stop posting all this nonsense about box office numbers etc

you really have no clue what you are talking about. most of your points contradict themselves

stay in the Age of Ultron lovefest please

CC

please stop posting all this nonsense about box office numbers etc

you really have no clue what you are talking about. most of your points contradict themselves

stay in the Age of Ultron lovefest please

Thanks for the advice, but I will post were I will damn well please on this board. :cool:

You seem to want all these movies to be homeruns, and can`t take constructive criticism, as to why these DC movies and the FF reboot might now not all be rosy.

The op posted a legitimate article stating there might be trouble with the upcoming DC movies.

I answered with speculation as to why the Warner Brothers people might be getting cold feet.

You seem to take it personal that people don`t like the new Joker picture or aren't excited about the new FF reboot like you are?

It`s not personal. Just a difference of opinion.

Don`t you like opposing viewpoints?

I know I do because I learn from them.

I think what Warner Brothers is starting to figure out is they could make 7 Batman and Superman movies over the next 12 years that are guaranteed box office gold or make 7 movies like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg that all will have trouble each making 100 million domestically!

:o

Yes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg will all have a hard time breaking 100 million each domestically.

The reasons why I say under 100 million each.

Green Lantern = Perception of a bomb just like the New Judge Dredd movie was awesome, but nobody went to see it because of the perception of the old Sly Stallone Judge Dredd bomb.

Shazam= Like the Rock, but his recent Hercules movie couldn't`t break 75 million domestically.

Last time I looked Hercules was well known more than Shazam.

Aquaman = Again I like Jason Momoa, but his Conan The Barbarian couldn`t break 25 million domestically, plus his Aquaman doesn't look like the Aquaman version people grew up on. This will turn people off.

Flash = There is already a popular Flash TV show. This alternative version of Flash will confuse people. They won`t want to see it because their Flash is on TV.

Cyborg = People are use to Cyborg as being a comedy character now thanks to the Teen Titans show on Cartoon Network. Plus this far out mainstream will have got tired of DC heroes.

So this is what`s happening. The Warner Bros people have figured out that they can make many Batman and Superman movies that are guaranteed gold at the box office or make questionable box office duds.

It`s a business.

Suicide Squad is the key.

If it`s a hit than open the floodgates.

If not than pull the plug.

Man, those rose (Marvel) colored glasses really skew your perception of things. DC does not need super hits out of the gate. Marvel didn't have them. So what if Green Lantern didn't make Avengers money? Seriously, the early Marvel movies (Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Thor, even Iron Man) didn't exactly break records either.

DC will be just fine with a few $150-200 million dollar domestic movies. And none of these movies you listed will make under $100 million domestically.

The problem DC will have is if they feel they need huge blockbusters for everything they make. They don't and shouldn't aim for that. They should be building just like Marvel did so when their characters come together, then the money begins to pour in. And they definitely shouldn't care what a few Marvel tainted zombies think about their offering.

It is unfortunate that you are so obviously biased towards Marvel because you put so much work into bringing movie numbers to this forum. It would be interesting to be an actual balanced opinion and numbers on things.

I think your $150-200 million dollar domestic predictions for those seven DC movies each will be way off, maybe you have rose (DC) colored glasses on? lol

Please don`t turn it into a Marvel vs. DC thing. :preach:

My two favorite characters are Superman and Batman.

I`m saying it one more time.

I think that Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman,Flash and Cyborg all will have trouble each making 100 million domestically and would be shocked if any of them beat Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern at the box office.

I`m not saying they will be bad movies, just they will not set the box office on fire.

Is that good clarification?

:)

I just watched the latest Superman movie....

I mostly collect DC (maybe 60-40) but I have to say that I think they ar not being too clever about it. Some of their movies seems to not follow the logic from the comics...

Why? Marvel follows (as far as I can tell) the comics logic more. For example new characters are introduced and developed much like in the comics. The Vision was introduced and Ultron the same. in the recent avengers movie. The story line closely follows the logic from comics. This works... comics have been hit and miss... and the hits have characters and storylines that are tested and work. This is a huge advantage... and crazy not to make full use of this.

I mostly collect DC (maybe 60-40) but I have to say that I think they ar not being too clever about it. Some of their movies seems to not follow the logic from the comics...

Why? Marvel follows (as far as I can tell) the comics logic more. For example new characters are introduced and developed much like in the comics. The Vision was introduced and Ultron the same. in the recent avengers movie. The story line closely follows the logic from comics. This works... comics have been hit and miss... and the hits have characters and storylines that are tested and work. This is a huge advantage... and crazy not to make full use of this.

Good points. Marvel slowly planned it out, while DC is just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks.

My biggest fear is DC will make a bunch of mediocre movies and TV shows that will cause mainstream fans to get burned out with super heroes. :o

After watching Avengers: Age of Ultron and the Netflix Daredevil masterpiece I don`t want that.

Another show I`m keeping an eye on is the CW Atom spin off starring Brandon Routh.

I have my doubts about that one as well. lol

:fear:

Good points. Marvel slowly planned it out, while DC is just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks.

My biggest fear is DC will make a bunch of mediocre movies and TV shows that will cause mainstream fans to get burned out with super heroes. :o

After watching Avengers: Age of Ultron and the Netflix Daredevil masterpiece I don`t want that.

Another show I`m keeping an eye on is the CW Atom spin off starring Brandon Routh.

CW Atom? What does CW mean?

Either corduroy wearin' or the CW television network. :)

more-video.png

I hope that`s good clarification, as well.

:)

I haven't followed the DC animated universe much but Timm sounds like a good idea.
Mr. Roy, you do not know what you are missing.

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

11. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

12. Wonder Woman***

13. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

14. Batman: Year One***

15. Superman: Doomsday***

16. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

17. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

18. Superman Unbound***

19. Green Lantern: First Flight***

20. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

21. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

22. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

23. The Batman Vs. Dracula**1/2

24. Justice League: Doom**

25. Justice League: War*1/2

26: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

They kind of balance out the bad movies. (thumbs u

If anyone notices about this good list of great movies is the majority of them are Batman and Superman focused.

That`s been my contention all along is DC should just stick to making the best Batman and Superman movies they can make.

That`s what mainstream wants to see good Batman and Superman movies.

Same thing with their comic book line just focuses on Batman`s Gotham and Superman`s Metropolis universes.

As a Batman and Superman fan I am kind of sick of the rest of the DC Universe screwing up and wading down my two favorite characters mythos.

Same thing will happen in the future in that we will have a good Batman v. Superman movie than a bunch of mediocre filler movies about DC c-lister heroes that not many want to see.

DC would be wise and kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb and just focus on Batman and Superman movies.

Occasionally they can do something with Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman on the CW, but for their major pictures just focus on Superman and Batman.

I never really looked at myself as only a Batman/Superman only fan either until I started compiling this list. I watch a lot of movies and I mean... a lot. But the proof is in the pudding, save for only one un-Batty gem (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox starring The Flash) in the top 10. The Superman/Batman movies tend to be the most loved by their filmmakers and the hero-filled Justice League ones (despite a couple great TV series) are pretty average.

You do realize the $7 MM shown for the Wonder Woman 2009 animated movie was only covering the first few weeks it was released, right?

Within two weeks of being released, an animated movie brought in $2,743,287 with a character that hadn't even experienced any recent big push to bring her forward as a key character in years. That's not bad. Imagine if Warner/DC had actually put some effort into advertising this movie.

Yet, they scrapped the planned follow-up to Wonder Woman because of the underwhelming return too. Kerri Russell owned that vocal performance too. :(

Instead we got have gotten one bad-azz WW in Apocalypse and some pretty awkward roles in the Justice League movies (she wasn't too odd in Doom though, but way underused).

I haven't followed the DC animated universe much but Timm sounds like a good idea.

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

If anyone notices about this good list of great movies is the majority of them are Batman and Superman focused.

That`s been my contention all along is DC should just stick to making the best Batman and Superman movies they can make.

That`s what mainstream wants to see good Batman and Superman movies.

Same thing with their comic book line just focuses on Batman`s Gotham and Superman`s Metropolis universes.

As a Batman and Superman fan I am kind of sick of the rest of the DC Universe screwing up and wading down my two favorite characters mythos.

Same thing will happen in the future in that we will have a good Batman v. Superman movie than a bunch of mediocre filler movies about DC c-lister heroes that not many want to see.

DC would be wise and kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb and just focus on Batman and Superman movies.

Occasionally they can do something with Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman on the CW, but for their major pictures just focus on Superman and Batman.

I never really looked at myself as only a Batman/Superman only fan either until I started compiling this list. I watch a lot of movies and I mean... a lot. But the proof is in the pudding, save for only one un-Batty gem (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox starring The Flash) in the top 10. The Superman/Batman movies tend to be the most loved by their filmmakers and the hero-filled Justice League ones (despite a couple great TV series) are pretty average.

I think it will turn out box office wise just like the comic sales between 1970s to early 90s sales were.

Marvel

Star Wars

Batman and Superman.

I think a bunch of people are overestimating how popular the rest of the DC characters are.

Wonder Woman and Shazam franchises haven`t been players in what 40 years?

Aquaman,Cyborg and Green Lantern at the next level.

Deadpool alone will beat all of the above at the box-office.

I`m not saying they will be bad movies. I just don`t see them doing big bank.

This has to have crossed Warner Brothers mind as well.

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

Whoah. I had no idea. Once my kids stopped watching cartoons I stopped watching regular television. Cool stuff.

Roy, if you haven't watched any of the Batman Animated Series, Superman Animated Series, Justice League or Justice League Unlimited cartoons than I recommend you start with Episode 1 and go from there.

They're all just wonderful.

Roy, if you haven't watched any of the Batman Animated Series, Superman Animated Series, Justice League or Justice League Unlimited cartoons than I recommend you start with Episode 1 and go from there.

(thumbs u The four series you mention did something truly amazing, maybe borderline genius.

They could introduce some of the most arcane aspects of DC Comics, like Gorilla City or Viking Prince, the Blackhawks or those cool WWII dinosaur covers, and make it all fit within a cohesive universe. Always with respect, intelligence and unbelievable cleverness.

:applause: