• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC SUPER HERO MOVIES IN TROUBLE?

85 posts in this topic

i think every movie DC release well break the $100 million mark the difference would be if BvS turns out to be good/ great it then would make people more interesting in watching SS. Some forget that not all maverl movie have broke the billion dollar mark but all have broken the $500 million mark the same is going to happen to DC.

i think every movie DC release well break the $100 million mark the difference would be if BvS turns out to be good/ great it then would make people more interesting in watching SS. Some forget that not all maverl movie have broke the billion dollar mark but all have broken the $500 million mark the same is going to happen to DC.

Here is a comparison.

We would all agree that GI JOE is a bigger IP than

Wonder Woman,Aquaman,Green Lantern,Shazam and Cyborg?

These were the last two domestics for GI Joe

G.I. Joe:

The Rise of Cobra

Domestic Total Gross: $150,201,498

G.I. Joe:

Retaliation

Domestic Total Gross: $122,523,060

G.I. Joe:

Retaliation also starred the Rock.

What makes Shazam so different that it will top a popular IP like GI JOE?

Also I think the boom is over for a lot of these big budgeted pictures and not just DC.

I see

Mad Max: Fury Road

Jurassic World

Terminator: Genisys

Mission Impossible 5

all falling short of box office expectations.

To take it a step farther these were the last two Wolverine box office results.

X-Men Origins:

Wolverine

Domestic Total Gross: $179,883,157

The Wolverine (2013)

Domestic Total Gross: $132,556,852

So me saying that those DC movies will have trouble breaking 100 million domestic and beating the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern box-office is not as far fetched as it seemed.

I want Atom to be done super well!! hehe

And it should of course be the real Atom... for some dumb and unusual reason two completely different super-heroes share the same name. The strong midget Atom who is a boring hero. And the real Atom who can change his size up and down and has a rich personal life. The latter has had many people 'be' him, but all with similar super-powers and obviously the same super-hero... just like Flash and others have had. That's all good and normal... but actually sharing the name with a completely different and unrelated hero - that is just dumb.

Anyway - I want the Atom done well - so I really hope this will be an ambitious endeavor!

Here is a comparison.

G.I. Joe:

The Rise of Cobra

G.I. Joe:

Retaliation

G.I. Joe:

Also I think the boom is over for a lot of these big budgeted pictures and not just DC.

I see

Jurassic World

Mission Impossible 5

Globally no. GI Joe is seen as a pretty ridiculous doll. Nothing more and nothing else.

But of course if it's done well - sci-fy lovers etc will watch it anyway. For example, Transformers had a similarly ridiculous basic premise... but the movies were well-made for the target group.

X-Men Origins:

Wolverine

The Wolverine (2013)

So me saying that those DC movies will have trouble breaking 100 million domestic and beating the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern box-office is not as far fetched as it seemed.

With the international box office growth that has taken place, domestic box office results do not lead to an easy indicator whether a movie is a hit or not.

AUC3OtA.png

When you look at that much growth compared to the domestic market, you can see why the focus is more on appealing to the bigger box office. Not just domestic expectations. And 'The Wolverine' excelled globally because of that realization. It had to overcome its predecessor (Origins), while helping rebuild the X-Franchise brand.

BCM3z8n.png

X-Men Origins:

Wolverine

The Wolverine (2013)

With the international box office growth that has taken place, domestic box office results do not lead to an easy indicator whether a movie is a hit or not.

AUC3OtA.png

When you look at that much growth compared to the domestic market, you can see why the focus is more on appealing to the bigger box office. Not just domestic expectations. And 'The Wolverine' excelled globally because of that realization. It had to overcome its predecessor (Origins), while helping rebuild the X-Franchise brand.

BCM3z8n.png

As usual... good to get some facts on the table

Here is a comparison.

G.I. Joe:

The Rise of Cobra

G.I. Joe:

Retaliation

G.I. Joe:

I see

Jurassic World

Mission Impossible 5

Globally no. GI Joe is seen as a pretty ridiculous doll. Nothing more and nothing else.

But of course if it's done well - sci-fy lovers etc will watch it anyway. For example, Transformers had a similarly ridiculous basic premise... but the movies were well-made for the target group.

Whoa! GI Joe is an ACTION FIGURE, not a "doll" dude! :baiting:

And GI Joe actually has a decent world wide following; I personally have GI Joe comics from 21 different countries.

Please continue with the DC movie hating and stop picking on GI Joe :) - :foryou:

Lets not forget... the GI Joe movies were also atrocious - I would like to think that still matters, but I'm not sure how much it does.

TOTALLY agree, horrible movies. The only surviving grace is the huge fan base that GI Joe has... sometimes peoples hopes outweighs their common sense.

Lets not forget... the GI Joe movies were also atrocious - I would like to think that still matters, but I'm not sure how much it does.

TOTALLY agree, horrible movies. The only surviving grace is the huge fan base that GI Joe has... sometimes peoples hopes outweighs their common sense.

I remember having GI Joe action figures as a kid in the 80s but I don't think it had a big fan base in the UK.

Movies were terrible though.

X-Men Origins:

Wolverine

The Wolverine (2013)

AUC3OtA.png

BCM3z8n.png

Studios take about 50% of domestic BO, and 25% or less of foreign.

The domestic take is therefore the far more relevant figure and more important to the studios' bottom line. (thumbs u

-J.

The domestic take is therefore the far more relevant figure and more important to the studios' bottom line. (thumbs u

-J.

I've seen that posted here a few times. Have an article that references the common foreign take %?

-J.

I've seen that posted here a few times. Have an article that references the common foreign take %?

Here you go.

The Wall Street Journal article, second search result down, offers the best info.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-sprint-us&source=android-browser&q=what+percent+of+foreign+box+office+do+the+studios+take

-J.

CC let's bet on the domestic for all the DCs movies

$20 on each one

$100 million domestic

I say they all break it

Accepted.

Any winnings I have I would like you to donate to a charity.

Of the seven.

I rank them like this box office wise.

Suicide Squad (Could get there because of Batman v Superman blowback)

Shazam (Again the Rock has fans)

The next 5 will certainly have problems beating Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern box office or 100 million domestic.

Aquaman

Flash

Green Lantern

Cyborg

Wonder Woman

:gossip:

btw

Batman v Superman is not part of this.

I say that does one billion plus worldwide.

Here you go.

The Wall Street Journal article, second search result down, offers the best info.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-sprint-us&source=android-browser&q=what+percent+of+foreign+box+office+do+the+studios+take

-J.

Thanks for the link. Even the first article discusses the assumptions surrounding overseas revenue share.

You can actually look at the securities filings for the big theater chains, to look at how much of their ticket revenues go back to the studios, points out Stone. So for example, the latest quarterly filing by Cinemark Holdings, shows that 54.5 percent of its ticket revenues went to the distributors. So as a ballpark figure, studios generally take in around 50-55 percent of U.S. box office money.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release.

What it really comes down to is the muscle power of the individual studio negotiating the regional contracts. Assuming they all are only making 25% of revenue across all foreign markets when that is the market growing the fastest would be a business most would look for other work. The % logic doesn't add up.

But I will dig into that Wall Street Journal article as the reporter seems to have done plenty of analysis.

Here you go.

-J.

Thanks for the link. Even the first article discusses the assumptions surrounding overseas revenue share.

You can actually look at the securities filings for the big theater chains, to look at how much of their ticket revenues go back to the studios, points out Stone. So for example, the latest quarterly filing by Cinemark Holdings, shows that 54.5 percent of its ticket revenues went to the distributors. So as a ballpark figure, studios generally take in around 50-55 percent of U.S. box office money.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release.

What it really comes down to is the muscle power of the individual studio negotiating the regional contracts. Assuming they all are only making 25% of revenue across all foreign markets when that is the market growing the fastest would be a business most would look for other work. The % logic doesn't add up.

But I will dig into that Wall Street Journal article as the reporter seems to have done plenty of analysis.

A good friend of mine is a Hollywood writer and he also confirms the percentages. It's not hard and fast however, and even as Hollywood becomes more desperate for overseas money as domestic BO dwindles, more recent deals actually have some movies yielding even less than 25%. You will also note that even the lofty "40%" international figure stated in the older first article is actually asterisked down to 15% "after expenses". The WSJ article is more recent, however, and I feel more reflective of the current environment. It goes a long way to explaining how and why movies like After Earth and Jupiter Asecending are still regarded as flops, in spite of their seemingly solid international business. Hollywood just doesn't see enough of that money to offset a crappy domestic showing.

-J.

CC let's bet on the domestic for all the DCs movies

$20 on each one

$100 million domestic

I say they all break it

Accepted.

Any winnings I have I would like you to donate to a charity.

Of the seven.

I rank them like this box office wise.

Suicide Squad (Could get there because of Batman v Superman blowback)

Shazam (Again the Rock has fans)

The next 5 will certainly have problems beating Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern box office or 100 million domestic.

Aquaman

Flash

Green Lantern

Cyborg

Wonder Woman

:gossip:

btw

Batman v Superman is not part of this.

I say that does one billion plus worldwide.

I give the odds to CC on this.

I've never believed that DC ever had any real intentions of making all of these movies anyway. It always seemed more like a publicity stunt to try and take away some of Marvel's heat.

-J.

I remember having GI Joe action figures as a kid in the 80s but I don't think it had a big fan base in the UK.

Movies were terrible though.

Yes, and outside of Canada UK and perhaps australia it's even less popular in the rest of the world.

Would be interesting to see the foreign box office percentage on the doll sorry..action figure movies compared to the marvel movies.