• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Golden Age Collectors?
4 4

188 posts in this topic

There seems to be a perception that the only people that collect golden age are old fogies that grew up reading the books, or that assimilated their silver age collections off the newstands. Is this accurate? Please take a look here and let's get some numbers together for the age of us golden age collectors!

19 and counting

37, but started collecting seriously in my early 30s. All connected

to income: I would have started collecting GA in my 20s if I'd been

able to afford it.

I think getting new collectors interested is entirely a matter of

providing information. By following the boards, I have learned a lot

about comics that I never saw the appeal in (or even knew existed)

before. As a direct result, I am looking to expand my collection into

these new areas. I have heard many other board members express similiar

experiences.

I think the internet is going to play a huge role attracting a new

generation of GA collectors and can only see interest and prices

picking up substantially as information becomes more readily available.

I personally feel an obligation to share the best books in my collection

(along with the stories behind them) with anyone interested, and I've

been extremely excited to see people like timely, jb, esquire, centaurman,

nearmint, buttocks, pedigreeman, and many others joining in and

sharing with the rest of us. Thanks to all of them, a whole new world of

collecting challenges has opened up to me. As a direct result of people

posting here, prices for certain early DCs are soon going to go up a bit

further because of me, just as I suspect they will for many other GA

titles that collectors are becoming aware of.

I think the future of GA collecting is looking very promising indeed, and

this trend can be accellerated by current collectors/experts helping the

new and coming generations.

I think the Internet has played a huge role. Sites like ebay have helped LOWER prices on a lot of books, not raise them.

I have a large collection of Golden Age comics, and you know what? I hope the market crashes. That way I can get the books I need for cheap. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! devil.gif

Been collecting since 22 BUT I only started collecting GA a couple of years ago. I think largely because I gravitate towards things I don't know well, I like how GA books date themselves, there is more a sense of history, and this is the pre-code era.

45 - bought my first GA in 1971 - a bunch of Quality Blackhawks for a quarter apiece - a year later I bought 3 GA books off a kid in the neighborhood for $9 (including a mid-grade Green Lantern #38) - it wasn't long before I was selling off my SA to buy old ECs, and selling them to buy More Funs,and then selling them to buy weed --oops! I sold the last of my GA in the early 80s - and got sucked back in again when I started buying old pre-code crime books for $3 apiece at some huge comic store in NYC (Forbidden Planet? - I can't recall the name) - in the mid 80s - very slowly I expanded into more expensive pre-code crime, then horror, then oddball stuff, and eventually super-hero GA by the mid 90s. I still only buy maybe 10-20 GA and pre-code books a year and mostly in the $20-$200 range - It's a hobby and not something I feel comfortable sinking alot of money into.

I started buying Golden Age when I was 16 (1971). I had a paper route and I had money to burn. smile.gif The first was Batman #18. Over the next 10 years I acquired just about all the GA comics I have today (several hundred). So ... I think MOST people who collect GA are not old fogeys looking to recapture books they read as kids.

I'm 35 - got more silver than golden, but would buy more if I had more $$$. I do have a Captain Marvel Jr. #1, and a FC #29 but not much else other than ducks. I got my first GA books when I was about 12 when a neighbor gave me a box of comics, including a Great Expectations Classic Comics and a Blonde Phantom #17...

I started buying Golden Age during Wizard World Chicago last summer when Sid (BassGMan) pulled a golden age scuba cover book out of a bin and showed it to me for my girlfriend's collection. I've purchased a few odd crime books here and there since then.

After reading a few old Sotheby's catalogs recently, I am thinking about putting more resources there though, and would like to pick up some raw Church books. cloud9.gif