• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Golden Age Collectors?
4 4

188 posts in this topic

Bear in mind too I wasn’t suggesting that it was anyone’s fault per se concerning his suicide. That’s certainly possible to blame someone or something as a major contributing factor to such an outcome but things are usually more complicated. I don’t wish anyone that weight that your actions might have impacted someone to do something rash. But all actions good or bad have effects on people around us. People cheat and treat others poorly all the time and not everyone kills themselves because of it. With Cole I just think and maybe wrongly because her letter never was seen, that his relationship with her was at least the main factor if not entirely. Lack of success or money certainly had nothing to do with it because sadly he was riding very high in that area at the time.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:47 PM, Sqeggs said:

Speculating in Moderns to buy GAs is a brilliant strategy. I hope you can manage to buy back some of the GA you once had. 

Here is one example: The two modern Hulks, both newsstand editions, cost me $75. The two Vacation Parades (1 US/1 Canadian) cost $300. However, the Hulks are worth much more than what I paid and more than the ducks, more than enough that the ducks were effectively free.

VP1 Can US.jpg

Red Hulk 1.jpg

On 10/11/2021 at 11:58 PM, paqart said:

Here is one example: The two modern Hulks, both newsstand editions, cost me $75. The two Vacation Parades (1 US/1 Canadian) cost $300. However, the Hulks are worth much more than what I paid and more than the ducks, more than enough that the ducks were effectively free.

VP1 Can US.jpg

Red Hulk 1.jpg

It may be a good strategy, but it seems like it would require a substantial time commitment to learn about moderns. I would have had no idea that the two Hulks were anything but dollar-bin books.

Edited by jimbo_7071
Correcting the *spoon* auto-correct.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It may be a good strategy, but it seems like it would require a substantial time commitment to learn about moderns. I would have had no idea that the two Hulks were anything but dollar-bin books.

The owner of my LCS recently told me that a friend of his sold a copy of the Hulk #1 (newsstand, like mine) for $3,000.

And yes, there is a significant learning curve. I had to make a fairly comprehensive database from scratch to track the rarity and value of these things. It took months but the result is that it looks like I spent about a nickel for every dollar of value on over 2,000 comics. I just sent the first 75 to CGC to prepare for selling them.

EDIT: The reason some of these are worth so much is rarity multiplied by heightened interest related to film and TV series connections. In many cases, the moderns are much harder to find than much more expensive older comics. For instance, I just searched "Hulk 1 1962" on eBay and found 4 copies right at the top of the list. A search for "Hulk 1 2008 newsstand" yields 3 copies total. I didn't check the multiple pages of results for the 1962 result, so there may have been more. The 2008 version had one page of results, most of which were other comics. This result is not unusual for modern newsstands. To a collector like me, it means that the only thing getting in the way of a copy of the 1962 Hulk 1 is price. If I want one, I can buy it on any day of the week. The newsstand 2008 edition is rare enough that whole months go by without a single copy turning up. There are some moderns I still haven't seen but have been actively searching for more than 18 months. For people who have the money, the issue is availability. On that level, the moderns are in many cases much rarer than older comics. That is the other reason I decided to go for them: I wanted to scoop them up while I could. That said, I intend to convert them over the next year or two for GA and SA comics.

Edited by paqart

On 10/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, woowoo said:

I started cutting out Marvel V stamps off the news stands so that's in 1974 with Hulk 181. I already had mommy send for my stamp book. I did buy books before that at 20 cents so right around 1972 i started.

I was reading a post on Taxing books. I have no record on what I paid for my nice books and the Restoration price i paid plus the fact that i traded early on 300 worth of little books to get a 100 book. I went to SF cons with my dad i did buy batman 1 that my dad bought me and it took years to pay back. I bought a copy of Detective 27 from E. Gerber himself back in the early 80's had it restored paid for safe box when i moved out of moms house that cost around 100 a year for years so how do i pay tax on a book that's worth 150k now that i had stored graded drove to Reno spent night there lost money than got my book and drove home ? Drove to get Restored lost a day pay to pick up on and on. I have to pay Tax to sell after i paid Tax to get book. I guess i have to keep collecting.

Speaking of Hulk 181....I think a youngster should invest in Hulk 180 instead.  And not listen to popular thought.  Use your own eyes.  Don't be afraid to rock the boat.  Sorry Cap 1 fans....but I'm only interested in Human Torch #3(#2).

On 10/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, ChillMan said:

Speaking of Hulk 181....I think a youngster should invest in Hulk 180 instead.  And not listen to popular thought.  Use your own eyes.  Don't be afraid to rock the boat.  Sorry Cap 1 fans....but I'm only interested in Human Torch #3(#2).

I'm doubly triggered! 😡

(And I don't think a youngster should invest in comics)