• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, goldenacase said:

this just came...and this thread needs a bump

image.jpeg

This came out of a collection of bound volumes that Jason Ewert sold in the 1990s.  There were scads of great books in that find.  I got this, a 39, AMF 2.12, Science 2, and a few others that I can't recall.  Lovely colors and great paper.  Congrats!

On 8/9/2022 at 9:58 AM, buttock said:

This came out of a collection of bound volumes that Jason Ewert sold in the 1990s.  There were scads of great books in that find.  I got this, a 39, AMF 2.12, Science 2, and a few others that I can't recall.  Lovely colors and great paper.  Congrats!

He was the guy that cracked cgc books and sold them higher grade raw? Regardless... yes it was from a bound volume and the colors of the cover are amazing whats also amazing is the wealth of knowledge on these boards Thank you for the info(worship)

On 8/9/2022 at 4:15 PM, goldenacase said:

He was the guy that cracked cgc books and sold them higher grade raw? Regardless... yes it was from a bound volume and the colors of the cover are amazing whats also amazing is the wealth of knowledge on these boards Thank you for the info(worship)

He was the guy that microtrimmed a metric f-ton of vintage comics and got them into blue labels prior to getting busted as being told to "leave the hobby".

On 8/9/2022 at 7:58 AM, buttock said:

Being part of a bound volume, I would expect all of these books to have been trimmed in some fashion or other as per past practice.  hm

The thing I can't figure out is why they simply didn't get binders that would fit with the size of the comic books, instead of having all of these comic books trimmed in order to fit the binder?  Or is this something that simply wasn't done back in those days as I've also got one bound volume in my collection, but once again, all of the books have been trimmed to fit the binder.  (shrug)  :frustrated:  :censored:

On 8/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Being part of a bound volume, I would expect all of these books to have been trimmed in some fashion or other as per past practice.  hm

The thing I can't figure out is why they simply didn't get binders that would fit with the size of the comic books, instead of having all of these comic books trimmed in order to fit the binder?  Or is this something that simply wasn't done back in those days as I've also got one bound volume in my collection, but once again, all of the books have been trimmed to fit the binder.  (shrug)  :frustrated:  :censored:

Whats very interesting is this book was from that other grading company recently graded as 3.0 unrestored. I know your not supposed to post but colors are so great had to share.....I wonder if was trimmed and they missed it hm

Edited by goldenacase

On 8/9/2022 at 3:15 PM, lou_fine said:

If they were in a binder, they would have probably been 3 hole punched…

I have a set of early Terry Toons that were “bound” by the animation studio. They are all 3HP but not trimmed. 

On 8/10/2022 at 9:27 AM, goldenacase said:

Whats very interesting is this book was from that other grading company recently graded as 3.0 unrestored. I know your not supposed to post but colors are so great had to share.....I wonder if was trimmed and they missed it hm

Some of the books were trimmed to varying degrees, others not.  I don't recall this one specifically.  But I wouldn't trust CBCS to catch trimming.    

On 8/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, buttock said:
On 8/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, goldenacase said:

Some of the books were trimmed to varying degrees, others not.  I don't recall this one specifically.  But I wouldn't trust CBCS to catch trimming.   

I thought that if a book's been trimmed to be put into a bound volume, the trimming tends to lean more towards what I would call macro-trimming and generally even easy for Mr. Magoo to catch. (shrug)

Now, if you are talking about micro-trimming where the purpose is to get a higher grade and more dollars for your book, then I wouldn't trust either of the two major grading companies to catch it.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/11/2022 at 12:19 AM, lou_fine said:

I thought that if a book's been trimmed to be put into a bound volume, the trimming tends to lean more towards what I would call macro-trimming and generally even easy for Mr. Magoo to catch. (shrug)

Now, if you are talking about micro-trimming where the purpose is to get a higher grade and more dollars for your book, then I wouldn't trust either of the two major grading companies to catch it.  :(

Bound volumes are typically trimmed after the books are bound together, so depending on the size of the book, the degree of trimming will vary.  Some miss a trim altogether, some get nicked, some get fully chopped.  

But I've seen books with a 0.5 cm full trim in CBCS holders without notation. :eek:  

On 6/13/2023 at 12:38 AM, PreHero said:

For my 1,000th post, thought I'd revive one of my favorite threads!  

Though purchased well over a year ago, it's my most recent Centaur acquisition.  Last appearance of a few long running characters and published right before Centaur itself turned out the lights for the last time.  Feels like purpose of title was to use up inventory - even comic book ad was for Ace, not Centaur!

image.thumb.jpeg.d19183e853ac63f377593529e6146fed.jpeg

:applause:

On 6/15/2023 at 2:32 AM, PreHero said:

Jon's thread has always been a favorite!   Surprised thread has been dormant for 10 months - apparently I'm not the only one struggling to find these rare gems!!

Thanks!  :)

For many moons a favorite of mine too. But I just can’t seem to want to visit the past so I rarely poke my head in this door 

On 6/15/2023 at 6:22 AM, G.A.tor said:

For many moons a favorite of mine too. But I just can’t seem to want to visit the past so I rarely poke my head in this door 

Based on lack of posts, you're not the only one - books remain elusive!

Along with Jon, as one of the few collectors to complete (and sell) the run, I'm sure there's mixed emotions.

I'm listing a couple of nice Centaur books in the upcoming June 25 auction on Heritage (now with links):
Little Giant Movie Funnies #1 CGC GD- 1.8 Cream pages
Little Giant Movie Funnies #2 CGC VG- 3.5 Cream pages

I hope they go to someone who will really appreciate them.

Edited by MemorezGuy1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:32 PM, PreHero said:

Jon's thread has always been a favorite!   Surprised thread has been dormant for 10 months - apparently I'm not the only one struggling to find these rare gems!!

Well then, here's their big chance, especially if they are into the very early Funny Pictures Stories as these are due to close in HA's Signature Auction next Saturday on the 24th:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+794+793+792+4294940576&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=funny+picture+stories+&limitTo=4294940576&ic=homepage-search-A-K-Y-071316

Not exactly sure what the Supplements are as they are not listed in the guide, but I imagine somebody here like @G.A.tor would know.  ???

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/19/2023 at 8:48 AM, mwotka said:

I agree, this is one of the best all time threads.  I have been meaning to post some things on here, so glad to see it on the front page again.  I've had some success tracking down a few books I've been searching for for a long time.  Here are two trifectas that have taken quite some time to complete.  First off, the three Arrow issues.  And then the three Mad Ming Funny Pages issues.  Some of my all time favorite comics.   And I know @G.A.tor doesn't have everything anymore, but you have helped many people like me get some cool stuff (including one issue in both of these mini-runs) and that is much appreciated.

arrows.jpg

mad mings.jpg

Incredible Mike! Especially love the Funny Pages 38!