• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Hey, Superworld #1 is a heck of a book with a killer cover. That KDF you traded isn't one of the scarcer ones, so don't beat yourself up, you'll get another crack at it. Plus, the Superworld will have much wider resale appeal, as Centaurs typically only attract a narrow audience of devotees.

It's true, I've seen that one for sale at various times/places... I guess it was more the actual dollar figure that I accepted for them that bothers me!! Lost money on the three Centaurs!! I got too focused on the Superworld and lost site of the dollars involved. Must... move... on... foreheadslap.gif

Great to see your Centaurs up close and personal CentaurMan!! The scans are really nice. You can tell the colors are beautiful on those covers. I can't totally put my finger on it, but Centaurs have the oddest appeal for me (and I'm sure many of you can relate)... out of all the publishers out there of GA books, and many of them top end (Fawcett, Gleason, etc) , WHY the obsession w/ Centaurs?? The use of Funnies Inc. staff definately helps ... Love the books with Everett, Burgos, Gustavson, and the other obscure masters of the day like Wolverton (!!), Tarpe Mills, and Frank Thomas (who's cartoony , heavy style I love!!) To me , the ideal Centaur for INTERIOR art that I own is Amazing Man #6, which actually has all of the artists listed above, minus Wolverton.

What the heck, Jon posted his, but you can't have too much of a good thing! This book has been an obsession to me since around 1982 (saw the cover in an Overstreet)cloud9.gif

1301193-AAC%236loresPOST.jpg

589a8dbaef258_1301193-AAC6loresPOST.jpg.07b7a454c041d71cf49f56b1ba9c0ca3.jpg

Edited by RyanH

That cover was really avant-garde for its time. It's one of my favorites. Plus, the earliest Amazing-Man stories are really fantastic. (Another reason not to slab your books!)

Thanks guys... that A-man #6 cover really is surreal... it is so simple, but so beautifully thought out... Everett was really an outstanding artist. Wish I could afford more of his early Sub-mariner work. However, his A-man stuff is fantastic as Centaur Man pointed out. There is a sequence in #6 where an invisible A-man grabs a pair of scissors off a bloated criminal's desk, and proceeds to plunge them into the criminal's chest!!

These panels are from A-man #7 ... lot of nice interior art from that issue as well.

1301263-aman%237panelPOST.jpg

589a8dbaf1ff2_1301263-aman7panelPOST.jpg.c98162c6d3148274c48dd62ca5214aaa.jpg

Edited by RyanH

Unfortunately I don't have my Amazing-Man's scanned yet, so I'll go back to Keen Detective Funnies for a few more.

Here's another one featuring The Eye. Not as cool as the #20, but still a neat image.

keendetective18.jpg

That is a SWEET issue!! Being a fan of the EYE SEES, I have been after that book as well, only because of its EYE cover, but to no avail. A nice, odd torture cover... how is the EYE story in that issue?

I can't even imagine what other books you'll pull out of your hat Centaur Man...

I actually never knew "The Eye" was a recurring feature in that series. OK, help me out here...it's stories about a giant eye? A giant, crime-fighting eye? Inquiring minds want to know? 27_laughing.gif

I actually never knew "The Eye" was a recurring feature in that series. OK, help me out here...it's stories about a giant eye? A giant, crime-fighting eye? Inquiring minds want to know? 27_laughing.gif

I had some photos of panels from THE EYE SEES!, but i guess i deleted them. Anyways, yes, you got it... a giant, disembodied crime-fighting eye! How could you not love a character like that!! the art is actually really quite good (are you familiar w/ Frank Thomas? ), and the concept is so wacky, its genius. 893applaud-thumb.gif

OK, help me out here...it's stories about a giant eye? A giant, crime-fighting eye? Inquiring minds want to know? 27_laughing.gif

Correct, but by day he was a mild mannered newspaper reporter. He hid his alter ego by wearing glasses.

OK, help me out here...it's stories about a giant eye? A giant, crime-fighting eye? Inquiring minds want to know? 27_laughing.gif

Correct, but by day he was a mild mannered newspaper reporter. He hid his alter ego by wearing glasses.

I thought he used a monocle

JPS

Yup, that's pretty much it. The Eye "sees" evil being done, even from a distance, I think, through some sort of astral projection (not called that) or maybe teleportation (it's not clear). The Eye can talk (pretty impressive) and shoots deadly heat beams. It also, on occasion, teamed up with a district attorney to fight crime a bit more conventionally.

Really, one of the most bizarre concepts in the primative world of comic superheroes. With a first appearance in 1939 it predates tons of other heroes, including Green Lantern and the Spectre.

I thought he used a monocle

Now that's some high quality comedy. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

No, I don't have either issue of Detective Eye. I don't think they're impossibly scarce (especially #1, which is downright common), but I haven't come across any that I thought were priced appropriately.

And as for being called CentaurMan, I named myself out of ignorance, not knowing at the time that Jon Berk is the true CentaurMan. He has a full Centaur collection, an almost impossible accomplishment, while I'm still missing probably 60+ of the 220+ issues.

Yup, that's pretty much it. The Eye "sees" evil being done, even from a distance, I think, through some sort of astral projection (not called that) or maybe teleportation (it's not clear). The Eye can talk (pretty impressive) and shoots deadly heat beams. It also, on occasion, teamed up with a district attorney to fight crime a bit more conventionally.

Really, one of the most bizarre concepts in the primative world of comic superheroes. With a first appearance in 1939 it predates tons of other heroes, including Green Lantern and the Spectre.

Thanks for the explanations, CM & Ryan...now I really want one of these books! Love it! takeit.gif

Here's the final issue of Keen Detective Funnies from 1940:

keendetective24.jpg

Tells you how primeval Centaurs are when the final issue of a 24-issue run was in September 1940, before most other superhero publishers had even gotten into a groove.

That is a wicked cool cover. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif