• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Screwed Up. Looking for help

81 posts in this topic

I assume the OP has ticked off a few people? Seems like a decent question. Not everyone is knowledgable on what is hot and what is not.

In trying to participate in the Pay it Forward thread, I was informed, politely by most, that I offered garbage. :)

This led me to the realization that I really don't have a clear understanding of what might be valuable in this hobby/investment.

I've been doing google searches and looking at ebay, but what resources do you guys use to help you figure out if a comic is worth buying, or if you should sell one you already own?

Also, how do you know what would be considered valuable in something like the PIF thread?

Any help is much appreciated.

ok - so you have at least one serious answer -

to get an idea of a books FMV (fair market value - or what one would reasonably expect to pay for a comic) - ebay and heritage are good sources for what people are willing to pay. Note - you have to look at SOLD auctions - not what people are asking.

Also - for either of those sites - you have to know something about grading. For non CGC slabbed books - HA will be fairly accurate for grades, EBAY - typical grades run lower than advertised (some do a good job - check peoples feedback for any condition notes and actual listings for scans).

For someone new - make sure you read and study comic grading AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!!! - there is a huge different in value depending on the grade of any book - even moderns.

OPG (overstreet price guide) is also a decent reference - but this is a very generic retail price guide - where you will usually be able to buy under retail for non keys - and keys (especially CGC graded) can go for well over OPG.

there is a subscription service out there - GPA analysis - has sold data for CGC graded books over many years - but has a cost. Not recommended unless you are going to be dealing a lot with these books.

As for PIF - there is no recommended sweet spot - but the general idea is that you offer something in the same general range that you pick up. If you can go a little over in value - awesome (as this prevents a death spiral of progressively lower offers).

Not a hard and fast rule - but $50 AND UP in value is around the norm. It seems to be better to offer individual books with higher value - rather than many individual ones. Also best if you have the inventory to mix it up after a couple days if nothing is claimed (like adding in modern variants as an offer if you only have bronze listed, or vice verse).

If someone offers something REALLY awesome ( one person had the first smurfs appearance up there) - you would then offer something pretty cool in return - but maybe not that exact value as that was a really cool over the top offer.

The thing with PIF --- is that any new boardie really should look over the thread for awhile before tying to participate. There are patterns - but then again some great offers are just not taken.

I assume the OP has ticked off a few people? Seems like a decent question. Not everyone is knowledgable on what is hot and what is not.

Some folks think he's a shill. Others think he desecrated the sanctity of the PIF thread. Me, I just wanted to post some Kid 'N Play songs.

Some folks think he's a shill. Others think he desecrated the sanctity of the PIF thread. Me, I just wanted to post some Kid 'N Play songs.

Which is always welcome! Post more! It ain't a party until your junk is out. :whee:

In trying to participate in the Pay it Forward thread, I was informed, politely by most, that I offered garbage. :)

I would out the people who said you offered garbage. They are the scammers.

Anything goes in the PIF thread. One of the cool things about that thread is that you can claim something neat and then get rid of your junk. And anyone who says otherwise is just trying to take advantage of you.

nah - the PIF crowd was actually quite patient - they realized he was newer and while there was some clowning around - not a lot of over the top stuff.

Oh - for OP ---- as you are newer - THICK SKIN!!!! really helps surviving the boards early. Also - take a LOT of time before joking around with folks. LOTS of different personalities here - some will take offense if you try and joke around with them like you have known them for years!

200.gif

Anything goes in the PIF thread. One of the cool things about that thread is that you can claim something neat and then get rid of your junk. And anyone who says otherwise is just trying to take advantage of you.

This is good to know. I have a bunch of stuff to post there. I wouldn't say it's junk. I was warned by a few people that there are some who simply try to take "all the good stuff" and sell it. I could sell it myself. lol

200.gif

How did these two go the way they did but Will Smith became who he is? Seems there careers had similar beginnings. hm

Which is always welcome! Post more! It ain't a party until your junk is out. :whee:

I keep telling my wife that. It usually doesn't go over well.

I think he has gotten some very good advice here on the boards.....

He just needs to do a little work now.

When I first came here I posted something and was shot down like a tie fighter in battle with a x-wing. Boy did I learn the hardway. That's when I took a step back and eased my way in, and just watched and learned. Posted very lightly. Jus sayin

I think he has gotten some very good advice here on the boards.....

He just needs to do a little work now.

Based on his first thread here, I take him on his word that he's new to comics, and he's on the level. My advice would be to steer clear of trading threads. Figure out what you like to collect first, then worry about appeasing the tastes of other collectors. 2c

Truth be told, when I was putting on my mc hammer swishy pants back in the day, I preferred Nice & Smooth.

200.gif

How did these two go the way they did but Will Smith became who he is? Seems there careers had similar beginnings. hm

Will Smith kicked DJ Jazzy Jeff to the curb. Like highlander, there can be only one.

:whatev: