• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hall of Shame and Probation Rules DISCUSSION
4 4

428 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On 6/1/2017 at 2:41 PM, Red84 said:

I would like to propose the addition of a new list for buyers and sellers who don't follow through on deals.  This is for people who don't qualify for PL or HOS because the other personally was not tangibly harmed (no money or book lost or taken).

I propose the FL - the Flake List

Example: person buys book, pays for book, seller never responds to communication, and person gets money back through PayPal.

Example: Person agrees to buy a book and then never sends payment.

These are people the community should be warned about, but who arguably don't fit into PL.

Arguably, I think both examples might be PL worthy because they both involve people reneging on deals.

That was my point as well in the Mephisto thread.  I was surprised to hear multiple people saying the actions described were not probation worthy because the buyer got his money back through a PayPal dispute.  As far as I'm concerned, anything that results in a PayPal claim being necessary is PL worthy.

16 minutes ago, Red84 said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, Red84 said:

I would like to propose the addition of a new list for buyers and sellers who don't follow through on deals.  This is for people who don't qualify for PL or HOS because the other personally was not tangibly harmed (no money or book lost or taken).

I propose the FL - the Flake List

Example: person buys book, pays for book, seller never responds to communication, and person gets money back through PayPal.

Example: Person agrees to buy a book and then never sends payment.

These are people the community should be warned about, but who arguably don't fit into PL.

Arguably, I think both examples might be PL worthy because they both involve people reneging on deals.

That was my point as well in the Mephisto thread.  I was surprised to hear multiple people saying the actions described were not probation worthy because the buyer got his money back through a PayPal dispute.  As far as I'm concerned, anything that results in a PayPal claim being necessary is PL worthy.

How about instituting a "sentencing" of sorts for these types of behavior and just keep the same list? If you cause a certain type of disruption, like those listed above, you would get a mandatory set time on the PL list after nomination. 
Using the incident with Mephisto25 an example, if the nomination is found to be credible, they would get 6-months mandatory on the PL unless they step-forward to make it right with the buyer, in which case, the buyer could then ask for their removal.
Those numbers are just random. I'll leave the real numbers to a board consensus.

This way of entering the PL might discourage these type of actions on the board as well as help to warn others of the actions of these members.

Just a thought.

Or perhaps we could create a probation list history detailing every complaint and the outcome.  There are some guys who've got in trouble and didn't get placed on the list or went on the list and worked their way off it.  Having a list of nominations might be informative

It's been a while since I was an active buyer, but I used to use the :banana: scoring system when leaving kudos.  The better the service I received, the more detailed comments I left in my kudos and the seller got a 5 x :banana: ranking.  Buyers I didn't want to deal with again got a brief "Book received . Thanks" comment with a single :banana:

Kind of a "read between the lines" rating method, but it definitely made it easy for me to keep track of board sellers I did and did not want to deal with again...

On 18/5/2017 at 10:48 PM, Pontoon said:

But you left out the part about the gofundme ploy. The meltdown was epic. Linkydink:

Where the thing ended (i.e. "on which page"?), @ Pontoon?
I have read a good number of pages, but have not arrived to a "meltdown". I wished to know what happened. :(

Edited by vaillant

29 minutes ago, icefires said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. If so, please point me in the right direction.

How long does a buyer have to pay? Is it 30 days?

Thanks.

Actually the buyer should pay based on the terms of the sellers thread.  The 30 days is if you want to nominate for PL.. For example if you state that payment is due within 48hrs and no other agreement was made extending the payment terms you would not be in the wrong for messaging the buyer and canceling the sale, and reselling.  The PL is to force either a buyer or seller to complete the transaction.  If you do want to wait 30 days you would then need to message the buyer the with your intent to nominate to PL.

46 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Actually the buyer should pay based on the terms of the sellers thread.  The 30 days is if you want to nominate for PL.. For example if you state that payment is due within 48hrs and no other agreement was made extending the payment terms you would not be in the wrong for messaging the buyer and canceling the sale, and reselling.  The PL is to force either a buyer or seller to complete the transaction.  If you do want to wait 30 days you would then need to message the buyer the with your intent to nominate to PL.

I didn't list any time limits for payment due.

I sent invoices after selling all books in the thread, but no response from one buyer.

It's only been a few days, and all other buyers responded within a day or so.

I'm new at this, so just curious what the expectations should be for at least a response.

2 hours ago, icefires said:

I sent invoices after selling all books in the thread, but no response from one buyer.

I'm new at this, so just curious what the expectations should be for at least a response.

I'd give it a few more days then send him a follow-up asking when you could expect payment.  Good luck.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, MustEatBrains said:
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, icefires said:

I'd give it a few more days then send him a follow-up asking when you could expect payment.  Good luck.

It might be a week before I hear from some of my buyers who are traveling or out of the country. Since I have a lot of buyers in my thread usually its no big deal to me. When I get down to my last
few I start PMing them again. Keep a good spreadsheet it helps.

I thought I knew the answer to this, but I guess I don't

If someone is on the Probation or Hall of Shame list and is openly trying to conduct business in the forums......is it acceptable to make one post in that thread pointing out their current status of being on the list?

I thought this was allowed and that there was a template for how to post this information in a thread, but couldn't find any information on it.

38 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

If someone is on the Probation or Hall of Shame list and is openly trying to conduct business in the forums......is it acceptable to make one post in that thread pointing out their current status of being on the list?

I thought this was allowed and that there was a template for how to post this information in a thread, but couldn't find any information on it.

I believe it's okay to politely post that type of information.

5 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
6 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I believe it's okay to politely post that type of information.

This is my understanding also, and I think at one point a member had done up a template, @Dr. Balls ?  but the key thing is that it be one post only (no piling on) and matter of fact, no commentary specific to what that member had done in the past, no accusations or whatever, just matter of fact, so I think something like "Members are advised that this seller is currently on the Probation List" would be fine. 

On 3/16/2021 at 2:29 AM, Domo Arigato said:

On 3/16/2021 at 9:05 AM, crassus said:

This is my understanding also, and I think at one point a member had done up a template, @Dr. Balls ?  but the key thing is that it be one post only (no piling on) and matter of fact, no commentary specific to what that member had done in the past, no accusations or whatever, just matter of fact, so I think something like "Members are advised that this seller is currently on the Probation List" would be fine. 

It is allowed once per thread.  I had brought that up last time and @comicdonna confirmed it.  It must be a simple, "Please be advised that this person is currently on the probation list / on the hall of shame list" and a link can be provided to the list or discussion for prospective buyers to read but nothing more. 

However, if anyone buys from the guy on the list or does business they can very well expect many others to drop that like day old dog poop as well.  You broke the code ma man... you broke the code. 

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It is allowed once per thread.  I had brought that up last time and @comicdonna confirmed it.  It must be a simple, "Please be advised that this person is currently on the probation list / on the hall of shame list" and a link can be provided to the list or discussion for prospective buyers to read but nothing more. 

However, if anyone buys from the guy on the list or does business they can very well expect many others to drop that like day old dog poop as well.  You broke the code ma man... you broke the code. 

Yes.  1 post per thread, limited to the marketplace.  It would not be acceptable to make a post about it in threads that the offender posts in outside the marketplace.  

Just now, comicdonna said:

Yes.  1 post per thread, limited to the marketplace.  It would not be acceptable to make a post about it in threads that the offender posts in outside the marketplace.  

I think the moderation team is going to love-love-love it when the pokemon and magic collectors discover the marketplace and the marketplace discussion area.   They are already making quite the name for themselves in their sub-forum. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:
1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

I think the moderation team is going to love-love-love it when the pokemon and magic collectors discover the marketplace and the marketplace discussion area.   They are already making quite the name for themselves in their sub-forum. 

Maybe they need their own probation section.   II would love that way more.