• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hall of Shame and Probation Rules DISCUSSION
4 4

428 posts in this topic

I'm starting to think that you all have me on ignore. :D

..... 99.9 % of comic collectors have a mental block towards anything logical or rational. You will have to stop making sense in order to fit in at this party lol GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Rupp, I am glad you spent so much time researching me. I am sure you found some cool pictures to make some awesome memes for your "personal collection". You realize the flaw in your logic don't you? No...no you most likely don't. While researching me, I assume you noticed that while I do not sell I do buy. Maybe not $15,000 books but I buy $500 - $1,000 books several times a year. I am actually arguing against what is in my own best interest. Wouldn't lifetime guarantees or even 2 or 3 years benefit me? My opinions are based on what I feel is right, not self interest. How is that derailing anything? Do only sellers get to have input on sales threads rules? If you ignore the rest, please answer that.

Also, your the one using my name in your comments and then blasting me for responding. That is also typical for you. I used to wonder why people gave you a hard time, because you seemed like a pleasant enough guy but the last 6 months or so have been very revealing. :facepalm:;)

Swick is definitely right about you Hokie.

(thumbs u

I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE.jpg

Probably a good step to "require" sales threads to have a stated return policy (even if the stated policy is ' no returns'), just as we " require" payment method and shipping terms. Then we can button hump threads that don't have a stated policy.

I agree that many sellers will neglect this requirement, and people will buy from those threads before we can hump them. Then, we're back to the matter of what to do for PL purposes if a buyer buys from such a thread, and then has a problem...

+1 ;)

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned it but why not make return policy part of the rules for a sales thread similar to listing payment types

Examples

Return policy - none

Return policy - up to two weeks

etc

:bump:

I said this on the 16th

Well *I* brought up having a Return Policy in the Guidelines on the 7th!

In thinking about it more I am wondering if some sort of time limit on returns should be part of the PL/HOS Rules or are better in the Usage Guidelines in this forum: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472

:Plol:blush:

:foryou: all around.

I really do think this is a productive discussion...we just need to carry it through to something actionable....in time, perhaps.

It is a good discussion.... and a productive one.

My apologies for bringing in the off topic tomfoolery and riff raff with my past and personality. I have tried to keep the discussions open regardless.

Awww. I've felt like that for years. You, edowens are a level headed, thoughtful poster. Now don't deny this. No, no, I must speak. When I...when I read this post I had one intention...one good intention - to support edowens. But when the time came to give up my own anonymity, I, I gave it up gladly. I smiled as edowens' sense of ignore superseded mine. Because I knew there was a future for ignored posters... I knew there was hope... so long as forumites were prepared to give their fame! And when the time came for me to step aside for edowens... I stepped aside gladly. I... I sang as my sense of being ignored was surpassed!

Because I believed... Oh you may laugh, but I believed with every fiber of my body, with every drop of rain that falls, a... a flower grows. And that flower, that small fragile, delicate flower shall burst forth and give a new life. New strength! And freedom! Freedom from fear and freedom from oppression. Freedom from tyranny. A world where men and women of all races and creeds can post together in communion and then in the twilight of this life, our children, and our children's children and . ..

Awww. I've felt like that for years. You, edowens are a level headed, thoughtful poster. Now don't deny this. No, no, I must speak. When I...when I read this post I had one intention...one good intention - to support edowens. But when the time came to give up my own anonymity, I, I gave it up gladly. I smiled as edowens' sense of ignore superseded mine. Because I knew there was a future for ignored posters... I knew there was hope... so long as forumites were prepared to give their fame! And when the time came for me to step aside for edowens... I stepped aside gladly. I... I sang as my sense of being ignored was surpassed!

Because I believed... Oh you may laugh, but I believed with every fiber of my body, with every drop of rain that falls, a... a flower grows. And that flower, that small fragile, delicate flower shall burst forth and give a new life. New strength! And freedom! Freedom from fear and freedom from oppression. Freedom from tyranny. A world where men and women of all races and creeds can post together in communion and then in the twilight of this life, our children, and our children's children and . ..

Why do I want to sing a Neal Young song, or We Shall Overcome?

:foryou: all around.

I really do think this is a productive discussion...we just need to carry it through to something actionable....in time, perhaps.

The actionable part of this would be to PM Arch and ask him to include a Return Policy in the Guidelines. It is a simple thing. I can't think of any reason why this should be objected to and have no problem asking Arch for this..

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned it but why not make return policy part of the rules for a sales thread similar to listing payment types

Examples

Return policy - none

etc

I said this on the 16th

In thinking about it more I am wondering if some sort of time limit on returns should be part of the PL/HOS Rules or are better in the Usage Guidelines in this forum: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472

I have you on ignore

:banana:

Examples

Return policy - none

etc

I said this on the 16th

I have you on ignore

:banana:

:o:ohnoez:

Rupp at what time frame would you have expected a full refund?

I know it's been two years for this current transaction and you're only asking for grading fees but I'm curious based on your two year proposal above when you felt still asking for a full refund was fair

Howdy Hector :hi:

hm well here's how I see it.

Let's use our true life scenario where I accidentally sold you a book with undisclosed color touch.

You tossed a :takeit: on the book in question on 10/23/13. I shipped it and all was fine until I heard from you on 5/12/14 that you had just discovered the book was coming back from CGC with color touch. I missed it and you missed it when you received it. That was right at 7 months.

I had no problem refunding you full purchase price, shipping, grading fees etc. I did this for two reasons, the first being I value your friendship and your business... the second being it was entirely my fault from the beginning. You trusted my opinion that the book had no restoration and I missed it. There was no way I could not be at fault. You would not have purchased the book in the first place, let alone had it graded, had you known the true condition of the book. You lost money because of me. That was unacceptable to me.

Your question was what time frame would I have "expected" a full refund. Well I would round the 7 months up to at least ONE YEAR.

I consider you and I both collectors and sellers. We buy what we like and sometimes flip for profit. I think that makes us both normal board buyers and sellers. I'm not sure how many times you submit books for grading but I usually do it once sometimes twice a year.

Since we are the average here (again I'm guessing as to how many times you submit books)... I feel one year, full refund polciy isn't too much to ask as a time frame for a seller's word concerning his product.

If the seller doesn't want to pony up the funds he/she cost you for his misrepresentation of his product (ie grading fees, shipping etc)... then I suppose that would be up to the seller in question. They wouldn't "have to" do it... but they should want to.

No matter what, the full purchase price of the product should be refunded if the seller made a mistake.

I'm not saying I would never take a return in a year...but here is my problem. If you see John or Mary or Jane as an equal (as you stated you felt Hector was) you buy a book from one of them don't notice the resto for a year either...I'm not sure I like them being responsible for your fees.

Both of you made an error.

Neither of you spotted it, it's not like You, John or Mary or Jane are neophytes. Shouldn't you have some responsibility? When you receive a book you (the person receiving it, not you specifically) should open the book and take a good hard look at it. If you don't, well...two mistakes occur.

If we give people a year, we will have some people not even looking at the books for a year.

I'd prefer to make my own decisions on a case by case basis. I'll take a return for any reason, slabbed or not, during a limited period of time, but after that. I am an adult, I'd like to make up my own mind.

All of these rules have drawbacks. I saw someone say something about not paying until a book is packed. I ship immediately if not sooner. If I have an issue mailing quickly, I talk to the person. I don't want to be lumped in with those who don't take any responsibility.

Why should I print postage and then have to reprint it when the person does not pay in a timely manner?

There are just too many variables mostly caused by the few of the people here who act like turkeys. I don't see why the rest of the sales forum needs stringent guidelines.

I'm fine with something saying each person should post their return policy. It will help me remember, but I would like to set my own and just maybe I'd like to keep tweaking it.

Your issue is was not a common one, I don't see the point in changing everything because of one, uncommon issue.

Basically this. There's a middle ground between the seller can do whatever they like with the right caveats and a lifetime guaranty. I don't think there's any way this board is going to set some definitive rule one way or the other that recognizes the inherent subjective nature of the issue.

I feel that most buyers, like me, would just want restitution for expenses incurred after the sale (ie grading service fees, postage etc) and not a full refund.

While I support your claim and the amount, I don't agree with your calculation of the amount. I do not think we should institute a requirement for sellers to reimburse grading expenses, unless there is a specific agreement between buyer and seller.

There are very few goods sold which allow buyers to seek recompense from sellers in excess of the initial purchase price, which would be a common result of this policy.

In my case due to the length of time involved, I only felt I deserved compensation for expenses I wouldn't have incurred had I known the true nature of the book.

The price of the house in Poltergeist was a steal until the family found out it was constructed over the angry spirits of a never relocated graveyard.

If they remodeled, added a two car garage and had Big John's landscaping totally redo their front yard right before all hell breaks loose and little Hokie is sucked into the TV set... I would like to think their lawyer might be able to get them some damages on top of the cost of the house. I feel they would be owed something for the non disclosure.

I feel like I'm owed something for the non disclosure ... even though I'm not asking for a return on the "house".

My opinion is you were due compensation because the item you agreed to purchase was not what you received. You did not deserve compensation for expenses you chose to incur after you had the book in hand.

I feel that most buyers, like me, would just want restitution for expenses incurred after the sale (ie grading service fees, postage etc) and not a full refund.

While I support your claim and the amount, I don't agree with your calculation of the amount. I do not think we should institute a requirement for sellers to reimburse grading expenses, unless there is a specific agreement between buyer and seller.

There are very few goods sold which allow buyers to seek recompense from sellers in excess of the initial purchase price, which would be a common result of this policy.

In my case due to the length of time involved, I only felt I deserved compensation for expenses I wouldn't have incurred had I known the true nature of the book.

The price of the house in Poltergeist was a steal until the family found out it was constructed over the angry spirits of a never relocated graveyard.

If they remodeled, added a two car garage and had Big John's landscaping totally redo their front yard right before all hell breaks loose and little Hokie is sucked into the TV set... I would like to think their lawyer might be able to get them some damages on top of the cost of the house. I feel they would be owed something for the non disclosure.

I feel like I'm owed something for the non disclosure ... even though I'm not asking for a return on the "house".

My opinion is you were due compensation because the item you agreed to purchase was not what you received. You did not deserve compensation for expenses you chose to incur after you had the book in hand.

Agreed.