• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice League Gods and Monsters (Animated)

22 posts in this topic

Anyone seen the three shorts on YouTube? One was Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.. I thought they were actually alright.. Here's the links to the videos.. What do you guys think?

Batman short.

Superman short.

Wonder Woman short

I thought it was kind of odd batman was a vampire. But I guess in that universe he is? The Superman short was the best one in my opinion..

Is this an Elsewords title??? Batman doesn't look threatening at all.

Anyone seen the three shorts on YouTube? One was Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.. I thought they were actually alright.. Here's the links to the videos.. What do you guys think?

Batman short.

Superman short.

Wonder Woman short

I like the concept, and especially that Bruce Timm is driving this Elseworld Universe. We've been discussing it for a little bit now in the animation thread.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?

What I like even more is it appears Timm is looking to maintain this universe on-going, rather than a one-time alternate universe story. Even coming out with action figures. I'd like to see where he takes it.

REVIEW: ‘Justice League: Gods and Monsters’

For those fans stuck on the idea that this alternate version of things is too far removed from the heroes they know and love, Justice League: Gods and Monsters is going to be a complete disappointment. For those who love the tradition of DC “Elseworlds” tales, Justice League: Gods and Monsters will be a thrilling and refreshing experience, blessed by the talents of DC’s best animated storytellers.

The only real downside is that seeing this film is an immediate wake up call to the void in animated storytelling that’s left behind whenever talents like Timm and Burnett aren’t on hand. It’ll be hard to accept less after this – meaning DC’s “New 52″ animated features will have to seriously up their game, going forward.

5/5 Stars

For those fans stuck on the idea that this alternate version of things is too far removed from the heroes they know and love, Justice League: Gods and Monsters is going to be a complete disappointment. For those who love the tradition of DC “Elseworlds” tales, Justice League: Gods and Monsters will be a thrilling and refreshing experience, blessed by the talents of DC’s best animated storytellers.

The only real downside is that seeing this film is an immediate wake up call to the void in animated storytelling that’s left behind whenever talents like Timm and Burnett aren’t on hand. It’ll be hard to accept less after this – meaning DC’s “New 52″ animated features will have to seriously up their game, going forward.

5/5 Stars

I'm glad someone else doesn't like those "New 52" movies. I feel like a bully when I report how bland they are.

5/5 Stars

The comments left on that page make me feel better about my own reaction. I'm a huge, huge fan of Bruce Timm's DC work but JL:G&M seemed flat and lifeless for me. :(

I'm also a big fan of Elseworlds tales too, but JL:G&M didn't fit that definition at all imho.

"In Elseworlds, super-heroes are taken from their usual settings and put into strange times and places - some that have existed, and others that can't, couldn't or shouldn't exist. The result is stories that make characters who are as familiar as yesterday seem as fresh as tomorrow."

I'll be giving it another viewing in hopes I can connect with it. Mainly I'm hoping this was Timm's personal vanity-project he negotiated in order for DC Animation to get him back. :wishluck:

The comments left on that page make me feel better about my own reaction. I'm a huge, huge fan of Bruce Timm's DC work but JL:G&M seemed flat and lifeless for me. :(

I'm also a big fan of Elseworlds tales too, but JL:G&M didn't fit that definition at all imho.

"In Elseworlds, super-heroes are taken from their usual settings and put into strange times and places - some that have existed, and others that can't, couldn't or shouldn't exist. The result is stories that make characters who are as familiar as yesterday seem as fresh as tomorrow."

I'll be giving it another viewing in hopes I can connect with it. Mainly I'm hoping this was Timm's personal vanity-project he negotiated in order for DC Animation to get him back. :wishluck:

I think it depends on which comments you fixate on.

As a huge fan of the Elseworlds line of DC Alter-stories, this new revised & tweaked DCVerse is a massive ton of fun, using pre-existing elements of the DC Universe & our storytellers clearly have a ball rearranging the vast tapestry of characters to present us with very welcome & refreshing takes on some familiar faces. But in a way that both destroys them & somehow puts their hearts back in the right place, despite eclipsing so much of their obvious familiarity.

It’s precisely the way they simultaneously take our heroes out of the picture, all the while putting what counts the most about them right back into these people that end up being every bit as much like our old favorites. The way this happens is by showing how our heroes’ spirits go beyond some strict adherence to origin formula & illustrating just how much fun re-imagination can be!

Gods & Monsters brought back to me the very best of DC’s Elseworlds Golden Age of the 90’s!

Oh, but I disagree a tad about how this DCAU piece outdoes recent releases such as Son of Batman & Batman vs. Robin. Both styles are very different & I honestly cannot say I prefer one over the other. What is undeniable is how much I do miss the Timm/Burnett years & pray they are wooed back for a more permanent stay with WB/DC Animation studios. It’s a mistake, however, to favor either style in the production line. Both pack & deliver extremely powerful story & visual gangbusters.

Keep ’em socking DC!

I bet this is more a 3.5/5 or 4/5 star movie. Which for DCAU is still a win, and way ahead of other company animated productions.

I bet this is more a 3.5/5 or 4/5 star movie. Which for DCAU is still a win, and way ahead of other company animated productions.
(thumbs u I'd go 3.5. And nothing wrong with it at all, technically.

Storywise, I'm curious which character(s) viewers "cared about" when watching?

And, do you think the same story, same plot twist, would've worked 100X better within an elseworld JLU, ie; characters we already knew?

I think that's where it lost me personally. Great animation, great story and clever plot twist, it just happened to characters I didn't care one whit about. One was a jerk, one was a jerk-ess, plus a dull guy with a slight pity factor. And calling 3 people a "League"? Uh, no. :)

I'll toss out a Gods & Monsters theory for comments, hopefully see what others think. :wishluck:

While watching I suddenly thought about that DC writer's roundtable for ploting out Superman where someone jokingly said, 'let's just kill him!' Giving us the infamous 'Death of Superman' arc.

Possible that happened with Timm? Possible that's what I'm watching? Any creator spending decades with characters he loves probably reaches a level of disdain at some point. The characters insist on going one direction while the creator wants so badly to go another, but can't.

So JL:G&M might be Timm's "just kill 'em all" response to years of doing the DCAU. An expressed need to have his own way just once.

Any thoughts? I hope many here will watch Gods & Monsters and weigh in. :popcorn:

The only great Justice League movie so far was... Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, and that was kind of Elseworlds-like. So, I have hope.

Just League: Doom was pretty good for the first 45 minutes and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis would have been pretty good without Jar-Jar... I mean Shazam.

Watching the clips several times more, especially "Framed", no way it's just me.

Batman/Langstrom's tone and delivery makes Ben Stein as Ferris Bueller's ridiculously deadpan teacher seem like a raving emotional meltdown (Bueller? Bueller?... Bueller?).

Seriously. At any point in Langstrom's dialog if his head dropped slightly and his next line was Zzzzzz, it would fit and flow perfectly. And I can't be the only one experiencing it that way. Flat, lifeless, monotone to the extreme.

Yes? (shrug)

Am I the only one too cheap to spend $14.99 to see this?

Just curious.

(I personally think DC animated movies are as strong as Marvel cinematic live action movies are. And ironically DCU live action movies have been almost as bad as Marvel Animated ones.)

But, knowing that I got to see Ant-Man for $10, and reading people's critiques of the voice-work on this, and the fact that it's an "Alternate Reality" film makes spending an EXTRA $5 to see this DCU movie a tough pill to swallow. (Also it is on the cusp of that Throne of Atlantis movie that fizzled).

A co worker here is a huge DCU fan, and he didn't even know about this movie until last week. (He buys all of the animated movies on DVD when they come out). So, I think they fell flat on the advertising on this as well.

I think (<-just my opinion) when it hits the $5 mark or (fingers crossed) Netflix, it will get a LOT of attention and you'll see a lot more response and dialogue about it.

-Terry

Find out your co-worker's review, maybe borrow his copy later?

The clips give a very fair sense of the movie. Especially "Framed" which contains semi-spoilers imho. But those 3 main character portrayals are what you're going to get.

Bruce Timm has a huge fanbase and the marketing might've been directed to them. The normal general audience for 'Justice League' might be sitting this one out, it's such a full-on departure.