• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 5

191 posts in this topic

Magic sun rays that totally faded some colors into almost obliteration and completely did not fade-at all-other colors.

let it go already

no-this book needs to be re graded

The difference in value between a 6.5 and a 9.6 on this book is extreme

CGC missed it

NO. No they didn't. Go look at some other faded books and you will see very similar "some colors faded and others didn't" phenomena.

Nope.

This book is faded uniformly

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4373751#Post4373751

And again, how is that book a 9.6?

If some inks aren't faded-AT ALL-not one iota-and others are almost completely obliterated-that says it all.

Otherwise no production error low ink books would EVER get caught. It's all 'sun fading'.

No way.

Magic sun rays that totally faded some colors into almost obliteration and completely did not fade-at all-other colors.

let it go already

CGC missed it

NO. No they didn't. Go look at some other faded books and you will see very similar "some colors faded and others didn't" phenomena.

Nope.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4373751#Post4373751

Kav look in that same thread where JC's X Men 94's blues and blacks didn't fade as bad as the other colors.

It's a 9.6 because it has only 2 small flaws-a small rip and a tiny color break

If some inks aren't faded-AT ALL-not one iota-and others are almost completely obliterated-that says it all.

Otherwise no production error low ink books would EVER get caught. It's all 'sun fading'.

No way.

Check out the X Men 94 a the bottom of this page. The blacks aren't faded at all

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4364594&fpart=1

let it go already

CGC missed it

Nope.

Kav look in that same thread where JC's X Men 94's blues and blacks didn't fade as bad as the other colors.

That book can be explained by low magenta and yellow the blues are all bright and clear

c'mon kav-- that small rip is a pretty significant flaw

at best-- if the color fading hadn't happened-- that is a 9.0

I had it at 8.0-8.5 without the fading. Of course I missed that it was faded.

c'mon kav-- that small rip is a pretty significant flaw

at best-- if the color fading hadn't happened-- that is a 9.0

If you're so certain about your grading why dont you have 5.0's across the board?

let it go already

CGC missed it

Nope.

That book can be explained by low magenta and yellow the blues are all bright and clear

But it's not low on magenta and yellow,it's sun faded period.

a book low on magenta and yellow would look exactly like that-so....how do we know?

This book is very similar to the GL. There is a "small rip" as you put it on the back cover at the bottom of the black triangle. Otherwise high grade book with a couple of small spine ticks (much like the GL). What grade do you think the X Men got?

xmen94_zpsc4p8v8we.jpg

xmen94back_zps1msmui5e.jpg

I say 8.5 for that one due to several ticks, rip and Front ULC buffing

I agree the Gl is probably a 9.0 if its prod error not 9.6

a book low on magenta and yellow would look exactly like that-so....how do we know?

because it is clearly impacting 1/2 of the cover.

stop being so defensive

I'm seriously hurting from this round

No joke

There is no way the blue shards wouldn't fade while the ink around it did

Nope, Blue seems to be pretty consistent in faded books. Red and Green fade the worst.

There is no red, green or blue in offset printing. Only cyan, magenta, yellow and black. "Green" is comprised of cyan and yellow. "Red" is comprised of magenta and yellow.

Come on, stop being a jerk and understand I was referring to the COLORS ON THE COVER, not the printing color terminology. Everyone knows they are derived from CYM (have you ever changed printer ink?) and I (like many others) are referring to the eye-test, final printed colors.

Take a can of Coke outside this summer and leave it in the sun all summer and then see what happens to the red. It may not have started out as red in the factory, but the finished product will fade like a bugger. Same with a Mountain Dew or Sprite can, that deep green will fade, and in some cases, all you'll have is dark blue/black.

I know, because I inadvertently did that one summer and posted the results on here.

To help you understand, the MAGENTA and YELLOW must be quick faders, while the CYAN and BLACK are not. That's what my Can Experiment clearly showed,

Also, green is already in there, twice:

The secondary colors of RGB, cyan, magenta, and yellow, are formed by the mixture of two of the primaries and the exclusion of the third. Red and green combine to make yellow, green and blue make cyan, blue and red make magenta.

How was I being a jerk? What was in my reply that was at all jerk-ish or condescending? You mentioned red, green and blue, so how was I supposed to know that you understood the difference between additive and subtractive colour?

I work in the industry, and most people I talk to don't know the difference, so why would I assume that you are the exception?

But since you brought it up: what do you mean when you say that "green is in there twice"? The statement you quoted is likely to confuse, because it's a theoretical description of colour models, not practical. There is no green in there.

Also, the red on a Coke can is not created using process (CMYK) colour. It's a special, spot colour.

K
I dispute the grade on the GL 76. This book is not faded. It is a production defect due to low magenta ink levels. If you look, the left side of the book is 'faded'. But only the colors that use magenta are faded-the darker greens and red. To get the darker green a layer of 87% yellow is covered with 100% cyan then a layer of 17% magenta. Without the magenta we get the lighter blue green seen on this book on the left side.

The cyan on the lantern shards at the bottom left as well as the left side of the 'co-starring' box with light green (no magenta used) and the black inks are unfaded, proving it is not Sun damage. The DC logo is so light if it was actual fading then the black ink would be faded to some degree-it is immaculate. I would resubmit this book and explain to CGC where they went wrong so the book can get the 9.6 it deserves and I can get my 5 points.

This might be a good theory if you completely ignore the back cover, which is printed perfectly. :grin:

I took a photo offset course once. Areas of a plate can be lacking ink where other areas aren't.

Sure, but it seems awfully convenient that the ink isn't lacking anywhere at all on the back cover as well. Theoretically I suppose it could happen...

Good theory, but not quite right.

It's the YELLOW that is missing on the left half of the front cover. In offset printing, green is comprised of cyan and yellow. There may be a bit of magenta in that green as well, but without question it's the yellow that is low on the left half, which make the bright green on the right half look more like teal on the left half.

No

Green is Cyan magenta and yellow:

http://dba.med.sc.edu/price/irf/Adobe_tg/models/rgbcmy.html

If there was no yellow there would be no green

At all

I work with process inks every day of the week. Trust me. Green is comprised of yellow and cyan.

This is from your Adobe article:

MODEL.png

Look at the "green". It occurs where the cyan and yellow overlap. There is no magenta in that green at all.

Of course, there are infinite shades of green. 100% cyan and 100% yellow is about as primary a green as you can get. But you could also have 100%C / 0%M / 90%Y / 3%K... Or 87%C / 2%M / 97%Y / 0%K... Etc...

So when half of a comic book cover is exposed to sunlight, it would affect the spectrum of colour differently, and yellow is typically the least colour fast of pigments. IT FADES FIRST, before magenta, cyan and black

Here's a decent article on how ultraviolet light affects printing ink. Scroll about half way down and there's a chart that compares the colour fastness of printing inks.

http://the-print-guide.blogspot.ca/2010/05/fade-to-black-ink-permanence.html

But when ink fades, it's not an ABSOLUTE. In other words, all of the yellow ink wouldn't just suddenly disappear. It would fade by degrees. So while the original green on the right side of the cover might (and this is a bit of a guess) be comprised of 90% cyan and 100% yellow, the yellow has faded on the left side enough that it looks like a teal green that might be more like 80% cyan and 60% yellow.