• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Part 2, Round 9 Can anyone say 'Franchise'?

Amazing Spider-man #252 vs Secret Wars 1 #1-12 vs Amazing Spider-Man #36 Vol 2  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Amazing Spider-man #252 vs Secret Wars 1 #1-12 vs Amazing Spider-Man #36 Vol 2

22 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to part 2, round 9. Here you will see all the winners of the previous rounds face off against each other to go into the next round. There will be one slight difference with this round; you the reader will have to convince me as to which one I should vote for. Just pretend I am an alien and you are trying to tell me which book is better and for what reason.

Prior to the voting deadline, I will determine which book had the stronger arguments and vote for that book. We will once again decide the winner by using the poll system.

Today's battle will feature a 3-way dance between Amazing Spider-man #252 vs Secret Wars 1 #1-12 vs Amazing Spider-Man #36 Vol 2.

Amazing Spider-man #252. Published by Marvel 1984. Written by Roger Stern and Tom DeFalco, with art by Ron Frenz. The introduction of the new black costume in the ASM title.

Secret Wars 1 #1-12. Published by Marvel 1984. Written by Jim Shooter with art by Michael Zeck. Mostly well known for the '1st appearance' of the new black costume that would later become Venom and Carnage.

Amazing Spider-Man #36 Vol 2. Published by Marvel 2001. Written by J. Michael Straczynski with art by John Romita Jr. A tribute issue to 9/11 (all black cover).

Good luck to all...

These are probably the three books I have the LEAST interest in in the second round. Sweet, now I can get two of them out of the way. The problem is, of course, figuring out which one should actually win...

Actually that's not so tough. I can hear the arguments for New Coke starting up already.

ASM #252.

secret wars, baby!

just to be contrary? ummm...i like molecule "my powers make all other villans superfluous" man? mike zeck's artwork? that panel where wolverine cut off the absorbing man's arm? the scene where spider-man kicked that chick's arse like she owed him money?

the fact that it ain't secret wars II?

Ick. All 3 of these won in the first round and Miracleman lost? 893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

Hard to believe isn't it?! makepoint.gif

I guess Burntboy was right about it being all about the opponent you face. Miracleman had to get past another Moore book.

My vote is for ASM #36v2. That black cover and what the comic stands for seems more important to me than the Spider-man having a change of clothes (or the introduction of Venom, for that matter). And the only Secret Wars issue that is worth anything is #8 where Spider-man gets the alien outfit.

So I say thumbsup2.gif to the 9/11 issue of Amazing Spider-man Volume 2.

I picked ASM V2 #36 as well... I knew marvel were planning a 911-tie in, but had no idea what the book would look like.

When I first saw it it really had an effect on me. Some call it clever marketing, but to me they made the perfect fitting cover with that one...

And I thought the story had a human quality to it, sadly lacking from a lot of books. Although I could have done without Doom weeping...

Amazing Spider-Man #36 Vol 2 - Sorry, the JMS boycott is still being enforced - no vote here

Secret Wars 1 #1-12 - close, really close...but as a whole just barely fall short.

Amazing Spider-man #252 - actual long term change in a mainstream book.. Even though it is hard to pick Ron Frenz over Mike Zeck.

Would having the actual covers in these threads help anyone besides me? Without some indication of what the storyline is or seeing the cover, I couldn't tell you what happened in any issue of ASM (for example), because I don't collect it, but I'd probably recognize a lot of the covers.

Anyway, just a thought/idea.

Would having the actual covers in these threads help anyone besides me? Without some indication of what the storyline is or seeing the cover, I couldn't tell you what happened in any issue of ASM (for example), because I don't collect it, but I'd probably recognize a lot of the covers.

Anyway, just a thought/idea.

I could go back to giving a small outline of each. Would that help?

I could go back to giving a small outline of each. Would that help?

Yes, definitely. I've forgotten a lot since the first round. I've enjoyed voting, I just want to make sure I'm an...uh, informed voter? smile.gif Thanks!

milehigh.com has scans of every issue they sell, outside of some GA books

I think the scans might be tough to do as there are some contestants that have more than one issue listed (eg. Secret Wars #1-12). And since they are in their as a 'collection' I am trying to avoid any confusion. For now, I will edit the above to include a tiny blurb about each (let me know what you think).

Thanks for the responses to making this more enjoyable for everyone,

Alex

Amazing Spider-man #252. Published by Marvel 1984. Written by Roger Stern and Tom DeFalco, with art by Ron Frenz. The introduction of the new black costume in the ASM title.

Secret Wars 1 #1-12. Published by Marvel 1984. Written by Jim Shooter with art by Michael Zeck. Mostly well known for the '1st appearance' of the new black costume that would later become Venom and Carnage.

Amazing Spider-Man #252 (5/84) was the (much hyped) 1st appearance of the black costume.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 ( 12/84) merely told the story of how he acquired it.

Some day I will actually research what # appearance of the black costume Secret Wars #8 is. It's a double digit number.

Some day I will actually research what # appearance of the black costume Secret Wars #8 is. It's a double digit number.

I thought it was the 5th? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Four monthly titles appeared every month between May and December. All featured the black costume. THEN Secret Wars #8 came out.

ASM 253 might be the fifth.

I picked #252. The Black Costume was big. Marvel drastically changed the costume of their top character and lays the groundwork for Venom (the only significant new Spidey villain since Hobgoblin).

Add on the swipe of the classic AF#15 cover....Winner!!!! thumbsup2.gif