• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

MLJ ROMANCE COMICS (PT 2 OF 3)

This cover is jarring if just for the image of a man about to strike a woman, but the word blurbs are just as riveting. A controlling father,a defiant young woman and her suitor. The boys were reading about Batman's next adventure, while the girls were getting a peek at the seamier side of life (if dramatized) in the Romance books. This is the last issue and only line drawn cover of this title.

Darling Romance #7.jpg

51 minutes ago, AJD said:

Wow, that's pretty full on. Things were different in 1950...

Yeah, funny how for all the talk about how wild today's generation (society)is, the earlier decades allowed for more open displays of 'interpretation' of issues /topics/images in entertainment that was widely sold to young people. 

On 2/23/2017 at 10:28 PM, sagii said:

REEL NINETEEN: Ads

Much focus on comic books goes on the covers and interior art and story pages (obviously). But much like the Super Bowl commercials, sometimes those advertisements between the stories deserve a second look. Especially some of the more eyebrow raising ones from the 50's. A lot of these today would be banned as body shaming and or another vernacular for politically incorrectness in today's world.

But even the non-racy ads were great and a key part of the comic reading experience! I mean what baby-boomer doesn't have fond memories of the ads for everything from Civil War and Roman soldiers to Tootsie Roll Pops, Aurora model kits, skull rings, X-Ray specs and Sea-Monkeys? I still do.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

27 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

But even the non-racy ads were great and a key part of the comic reading experience! I mean what baby-boomer doesn't have fond memories of the ads for everything from Civil War and Roman soldiers to Tootsie Roll Pops, Aurora model kits, skull rings, X-Ray specs and Sea Monkeys? I still do.

:)

Sea Monkeys :luhv: the ads were very alluring. I had a friend who 'bit'. All I remember when I rushed over to his house were these little things 'swimming' around in a jar that if I was little older then I would have likened to something(s) else :S

Great reads over in your Journal of late btw :headbang: yourself and all my other favorite journals have been a blast to read. 

5 hours ago, sagii said:

Sea Monkeys :luhv: the ads were very alluring. I had a friend who 'bit'. All I remember when I rushed over to his house were these little things 'swimming' around in a jar that if I was little older then I would have likened to something(s) else :S

You mean they didn't look like the ones in the ad?

SeaMonkeys.jpg

???

Here's a great book on that very subject:

Comic%20Book%20Mysteries_zpsd082rgwi.jpg

It's well worth getting a copy!

Kellogg's, General Mills, Post, Nabisco, Quaker and the other breakfast cereal companies were almost as given to such puffery. The April 1971 issue of National Lampoon contained a great parody of those "Free Inside" cereal premium offers that were once so common. First the box:

Flim%20Flam%20Flakes_zpshptabywt.jpg

Then what was actually inside the box:

Flim%20Flam%202_zps41anprrz.jpg

:o

The irony though is that whoever bought those cereals and actually kept the prizes, and especially the boxes(!), has the last laugh now. And that's true as well for nicely preserved specimens of the stuff/junk sold through those comic magazine ads.

xD

Edited by Hepcat

WOW @Hepcat :applause:intriguing stuff. Lol, yeah the Zor-x keepers had the last laugh, but boy oh boy that initial moment of let down must've stung. And i will be picking up that book. (thumbsu

(and thanks for the Journal bump -i need to get my :censored: back in gear )

On 6/15/2017 at 8:30 AM, Hepcat said:

Here's a great book on that very subject:

Comic%20Book%20Mysteries_zpsd082rgwi.jpg

It's well worth getting a copy!

Kellogg's, General Mills, Post, Nabisco, Quaker and the other breakfast cereal companies were almost as given to such puffery. The April 1971 issue of National Lampoon contained a great parody of those "Free Inside" cereal premium offers that were once so common. First the box:

SCAN0010_zps9e21727e.jpg

Then what was actually inside the box:

SCAN0011_zps9be2b6ad.jpg

:o

The irony though is that whoever bought those cereals and actually kept the prizes, and especially the boxes(!), has the last laugh now. And that's true as well for nicely preserved specimens of the stuff/junk sold through those comic magazine ads.

xD

cboxterrypirates1_zpskz9yoar3.jpg

cboxterrypirates2_zpsztvslpgu.jpg

cboxsuperman_zpsorbw2fk6.jpg

cboxrintintin1_zps8zuirrvp.jpg

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎29 at 3:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Why, yes they are. Here's a few more for your viewing pleasure... (I've got a bunch of them)

cboxwoody1_zpslvgcke8p.jpg

cboxwoody2_zps4riqxxdc.jpg

Those are fabulous! I'd never even heard of Carnation Corn Flakes let alone Carnation Woody Woodpecker Drawing Lesson cards! They're not in my Price Guide to Non-Sports Cards by Christopher Benjamin:

Non-Sport%20Cards_zpsgujr5cs5.jpg

They are however listed in my Non-Sports Bible by Chris Watson.  (To be fair though the Price Guide to Non-Sports Cards lists the Topps Woody Woodpecker Tattoo set from 1959 as well as all the other tattoo sets issued by Topps and Fleer while the Non-Sports Bible does not.)

The cards were evidently a premium issued regionally by Carnation on the west coast of the United States in 1954. The cards measure 2 1/4" by 3 1/2".They were released in two series of eighteen cards per series so that a complete set is a very respectable 36 cards in total.

And now I absolutely positively need to start adding Woody Woodpecker Drawing Lesson cards to my collection!

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat

REEL THREE: The Masters (v2)

And i'm back with an updated Reel. Thanks to @Robot Man and @Hepcat for keeping things interesting. The 'Masters' Reel is devoted to artistic genius', 'sung' and 'unsung'. L.B. Cole is definitely 'sung'. Adored by scores of Boardies in the Gold Forum i'm embarrassed to say that this book Captain Flight Comics #10 is currently my sole 'cover' entry for this giant. I have comics where he did interiors for though. Speaking of interiors there are some great artistic endeavors inside.

The red backdrop and girl tied to the wing of the plane drew me to this one. Plus the reptile styled plane (though i'm terrified of snakes). Add a hero diving from one plane to another and you've got vintage golden age mayhem.  More Cole covers are to follow eventually. Also, this is my 4000th post :acclaim:

Captain Flight Comics #10.jpg

Edited by sagii

On 7/3/2017 at 10:36 PM, sagii said:

REEL THREE: The Masters (v2)

And i'm back with an updated Reel. Thanks to @Robot Man and @Hepcat for keeping things interesting. The 'Masters' Reel is devoted to artistic genius', 'sung' and 'unsung'. L.B. Cole is definitely 'sung'. Adored by scores of Boardies in the Gold Forum i'm embarrassed to say that this book Captain Flight Comics #10 is currently my sole 'cover' entry for this giant. I have comics where he did interiors for though. Speaking of interiors there are some great artistic endeavors inside.

The red backdrop and girl tied to the wing of the plane drew me to this one. Plus the reptile styled plane (though i'm terrified of snakes). Add a hero diving from one plane to another and you've got vintage golden age mayhem.  More Cole covers are to follow eventually. Also, this is my 4000th post :acclaim:

Captain Flight Comics #10.jpg

What a beauty! Colors are fantastic. I've long thought this was an underrated cover. (thumbsu

@Point Five Thanks sir! Yeah, when i would browse his covers on GCD this one always held my attention among a lot of the ones now deemed 'classics' by collectors. Great recent pickups you've been posting lately too. (thumbsu

REEL ELEVEN: Rarities/Scarce/Oddities (vol.3 -Foreign editions)

Picked up a batch of Australian Romance comics on eBay this week (I'm really loving these Australian books of all genres -move over Canadian Whites :baiting:). I'm seeing one common connection between all the books i have so far: 'Distributed through Australia by Gordon & Gotch'. Who were these two? I'm dying to know the backstory there. Anyways, there were two standouts in the pick, one is this digest sized comic 'Sweethearts Library #48'. It features a painted cover and contains Harvey? (Lee Elias) and St. Johns (Matt Baker) art and stories.

The other book, 'Love Dramas #3 has a knockout cover that reminds me of movie poster art of the era. This one has a Prize Publications story (if i'm right) inside. The SL is listed on the GCD site. Could not find any info there on the LD. But through a 'completed' search i saw a copy of #2 sold recently on eBay

Sweethearts Library #48 (Australian).jpg

Love Dramas #3 (Australian).jpg

2 2