• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series question

27 posts in this topic

Would CGC do a Signature Series slabbing/grading for a comic creator signing a book he didn't work on?

For instance, say you're a huge Fantastic Four fan, and you're also a huge John Byrne fan. You decide you want John Byrne to sign your copy of Fantastic Four # 1 even though he didn't work on it, and he agrees to sign it. Would CGC do a SS for it?

For instance, say you're a huge Fantastic Four fan, and you're also a huge John Byrne fan. You decide you want John Byrne to sign your copy of Fantastic Four # 1 even though he didn't work on it, and he agrees to sign it. Would CGC do a SS for it?

probably. but doing this should be grounds for having your entire collection scattered to the winds. maybe it's just a bad example

LastStarfighter:

I think they would do it, why not? They could verify the signature, and they list who worked on the book. But the question is "Why do that"?! Just get an awesome Byrne FF book instead.

Sal:

probably. but doing this should be grounds for having your entire collection scattered to the winds. maybe it's just a bad example

frustrated.gif

Ok, say it's a reading copy of a GRR Fantastic Four # 1. The question is not "Is it a good idea?" but "Would CGC do it?".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

of course, by "scattered to the winds," i mean "sent to my house."

just to clear that up. and i still have no better idea whether CGC would do that or not, but if i had to guess i would say "no"

Policy as I understand it is that the signature has to relate to the comic... in the case of an actor signing a comic, it is because that person has ties to the character featured in the comic by playing them on tv or in a movie (like David Prowse signing a Darth Vader cover, or Rebecca Romjin signing a Mystique cover). But a comic creator signing another creator's work - nope, not unless you are Stan Lee and you created the characters. John Byrne signing an issue of Ghost Rider he didn't do doesn't qualify.

Would CGC do a Signature Series slabbing/grading for a comic creator signing a book he didn't work on?

I believe they will. For example Stan Lee signing a copy of the Bendis/Del'Otto Secret War which has been done. John Byrne on FF wouldn't be unrealistic. They may question an unknown artist signing your FF, but someone like Byrne would probably be acceptable.

Sure, the connection can be tenuous, but it should be there.

Herb Trimpe was the artist on the first appearance of Wolverine, so he is, in effect, the co-creator of Wolverine (or co-co-creator since Romita designed the costume).

Stan Lee created the Marvel Universe so he could justifiably sign anything that Marvel publishes.

What is required to send in to have a book given a yellow label? Will a picture of them signing the book suffice?

The only way a Signature Series label is possible is if the signature was witnessed in the presence of a Signature Series witness. If you can't make it to a con where you'd like a yellow label book done, Paradise Comics offers this service to anyone interested. I'd recommend that you get in touch with Peter to confirm whether he will be at the con that your artist/writer is at first. If so, all you'll need to you is send him your book and he'll do his best to get the book signed and slabbed (with the Signature Series label) for you.

Huh? That is one strange query. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

so basically you have to go to a con that cgc is attending, then drag one of them around while you go thru the lines? thats kinda dumb imo. too much of a hastle.

why wouldnt they take a DF certificate as proof?

Alas, that's the way it is. The comic must be signed in front of a CGC rep to authenticate the signature. If a picture isn't good enough, what good is a scrap of paper with the DF logo? Paper certificates that are loose with a signed book can be forged or lifted from another DF book and submitted.

At a con, that's if CGC has time and a person to spare to go with you.

As Mitol suggested, if CGC is at a con, then there's usually someone from Paradise who will arrange to get the book signed for you. They take the books and arrange for private signing time with the creators.

If anyone is at WonderCon this weekend they can get their books signed by Geoff Johns at the CGC booth on Sunday from Noon to 1. Alas, there are no reps from Paradise at WonderCon, but books signed at the CGC booth by Geoff Johns are eligible for Signature Series.

so basically you have to go to a con that cgc is attending, then drag one of them around while you go thru the lines? thats kinda dumb imo. too much of a hastle.

I guess it depends on how much you want it. If it were easy, more people would be doing it. In retrospect, how many cons does the average comic person go to in a year? One, maybe two?

You aren't going to be able to get many books signed if you only go to 2 a year. But if you had a rep that goes to all the big shows, who could get just about anyone, wouldn't that be worth the trouble?