• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packaging for one comic

32 posts in this topic

If you overpack that can also be a problem. I've had books so packed and taped and bundled in various ways that I damaged them opening.

If you overpack that can also be a problem. I've had books so packed and taped and bundled in various ways that I damaged them opening.

Yep.

I would like for everyone to wrap one of their raw $50+ HG books as they normally would do as if they were shipping it - and then try UNWRAPPING it without damaging their own book. Then they might get an idea of what they're doing wrong and how frustrating it is for people to try unwrapping a book sandwiched between cardboard with a 5mm or less boarder then 100% wrapped with packing-tape. :mad:

Also, I still don't get the folks using Media Mail for comics. (shrug)

A) it's not appropriate (i.e. legal) for any media containing advertising (which most comics have) and

B) the most beat-up battered packages I routinely receive are almost always "media mail" packages. They usually end up looking like they've been literately kicked down the road all the way to my mailbox. :P

bag and board the comic and sandwich between 3-4 pieces of cardboard, tape it up and stick in envelope

I'll toss my single-comic method out there for consideration. It's been some time since I sold on eBay, but the several years I used it got great feedback, zero complaints, and it was a quick and fairly painless method.

1. New bag & board for the comic

2. Sandwich between (recycled) backing boards, 2 or 3 in front, 2 or 3 in back

3. Slip that into a FREE Express Mail Tyvek envelope, fold the end in, fold the top down, pull the self-adhesive cover strip and seal.

4. Sandwich the Tyvek envelope between corrugated cardboard panels sized to fit inside a Priority envelope.

5. Slip all into a Priority Mail envelope and seal. Put shipping tape over the self-seal area and corners.

I liked the Tyvek because it's basically an untearable bag. Clothlike enough to fold over into a snug package. Limits unpacking risks from taping the hell out of the book. You end up a Priority envelope a mail carrier can't shove into an undersized mailbox (they'll try). I guess it could be adapted for plain padded mailers, but the less time a book spends in the mail system, the better imho.

bag and board the book and tape to cardboard then sandwich with another piece of cardboard and tape them together. You can put it in a vanilla envelope or box and ship it.

Good heavens man! Do not follow this fellow's advice. No 'envelopes', ever!

bag and board the book and tape to cardboard then sandwich with another piece of cardboard and tape them together. You can put it in a vanilla envelope or box and ship it.

Good heavens man! Do not follow this fellow's advice. No 'envelopes', ever!

I, for one, love vanilla :cloud9:

For INTERNAL tape (like the bagged/boarded book to cardboard, and making the cardboard sandwich) --- I have found that the blue painters tape is awesome for this.

Packing tape is WAY too strong - and hard to remove. Masking tape can work - but that stray piece can still cause an accidental tape pull (same with scotch tape). The blue holds well if sandwiched well (I use bubble wrap in all my packages so there is pressure on the tale and it will not peel) - but is then easy to remove.

If for some reason - the buyer works too fast and the tape touches the comic - has the added benefit of being removable so a lower chance of a tape pull.

yes - more expensive than other tapes, but I like repeat customers.

For INTERNAL tape (like the bagged/boarded book to cardboard, and making the cardboard sandwich) --- I have found that the blue painters tape is awesome for this.

Packing tape is WAY too strong - and hard to remove. Masking tape can work - but that stray piece can still cause an accidental tape pull (same with scotch tape). The blue holds well if sandwiched well (I use bubble wrap in all my packages so there is pressure on the tale and it will not peel) - but is then easy to remove.

If for some reason - the buyer works too fast and the tape touches the comic - has the added benefit of being removable so a lower chance of a tape pull.

yes - more expensive than other tapes, but I like repeat customers.

Nice to know. I never even thought about packing using blue painters tape. I may give it shot and see what happens.

priority mail flat rate envelope, $5.05 online, and then a bunch of cardboard. I mean a bunch, 4 or 5 pieces at least. At that point who cares, it is a flat rate.

And people please stop putting tape of the spine side. It leads to spine ticks so easily. I cannot understand how an OA guy like me who only dabbles in comics can see this so clearly and yet book after book is sent to me taped strongly down the spine.

Bird - do you mean on the bag/board itself (like right on top of the bag covering the comic? ---

Most recommendations I have seen start with a single bagged/boarded comic being placed face down onto a cardboard sheet. Then tape to this cardboard (the pressure is on the backer board then) -

do you have pics of what you mean????

priority mail flat rate envelope, $5.05 online, and then a bunch of cardboard. I mean a bunch, 4 or 5 pieces at least. At that point who cares, it is a flat rate.

And people please stop putting tape of the spine side. It leads to spine ticks so easily. I cannot understand how an OA guy like me who only dabbles in comics can see this so clearly and yet book after book is sent to me taped strongly down the spine.

Bird - do you mean on the bag/board itself (like right on top of the bag covering the comic? ---

Most recommendations I have seen start with a single bagged/boarded comic being placed face down onto a cardboard sheet. Then tape to this cardboard (the pressure is on the backer board then) -

do you have pics of what you mean????

Yes, that is what I mean. Why not tape on the top and bottom instead of causing spine ticks?

Thanks retro. I've read through the shipping stuff in the Noob guide, but all I could find was shipping several comics. I'm trying to find out if there's a difference when you're just shipping one.
Do the same thing, put more or fewer comics inside as necessary.