• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
4 4

1,424 posts in this topic

Here is Dennis the Menace #9 from the Bethlehem collection:

727334-9.jpg

This issue is from March 1955. It is the first issue that has the Comics Code Authority seal of approval. I find it interesting that the seal initially displayed much larger on the cover than it would appear later.

Love the bathtub scence on #5, but did you know that it was originally drawn with Dennis's Mom? wink.gif

I'd love to hear the story on this! Any Dennis info you have, PLEASE SHARE -- that's what this thread is about: ANYTHING DENNIS!

Joe

That was a "wink" character. I was joking -- I didn't mean for you to take me seriously.

sorry.gif

Keep up with the posting! The graduated colors are on the #7 are wonderful -- that B. copy is white enough to see even the very lightest of shades. thumbsup2.gif

And now, Dennis the Menace #8. Although Dennis #8 was included in the Bethlehems, the Bethlehem #8 had chipping along the right edge of the cover and some dust shadow to the cover. I sold it to a fellow collector after I had acquired the copy below from Richie Muchin, who miraculously uncovered this copy in his stock.

727332-8.jpg

Oh yeah, that was a "miracle" all right. 27_laughing.gif Cool books, though.

Next up...Dennis the Menace #11. This number also was not part of the Bethlehems. I got this book from Richie Muchin along with the #8. Great whiteness to the cover though the red mark is a blemish overall. After the first four issues, I have found this one to be the toughest to find in any condition.

(The scan of this and all the others that follow are in mylars; 2-10 were in Bill Cole Showcase Sealers which showed shadow marks on the covers.)

727621-11.jpg

That was a "wink" character. I was joking -- I didn't mean for you to take me seriously.

sorry.gif

It's funny, but I DID laugh when I first read about Dennis's mother in the tub instead of the dad. Having the dad with the implied nakedness is risque enough for a kids' 1950s comic, and the idea of the mom... foreheadslap.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread and hope you like it as much as I'm enjoying your 10 centers! thumbsup2.gif

Joe

How would you rate that Dennis the Menace #13, Bethlehem copy. I suspect it would be tough to find a nicer copy. hail.gif

Probably about a 9.0. The most amazing thing about it is the fresh page and cover quality. Every other copy I see has tan edges.

Joe

sorry.gif

It's funny, but I DID laugh when I first read about Dennis's mother in the tub instead of the dad. Having the dad with the implied nakedness is risque enough for a kids' 1950s comic, and the idea of the mom... foreheadslap.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread and hope you like it as much as I'm enjoying your 10 centers! thumbsup2.gif

Joe

I am thrilled with the thread. My last Dennis joke -- I promise!

Dennis -- as an adult

727926-Menace3.jpg

727926-Menace3.jpg.bfa454fe122fef94d3110db4719ae471.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Dennis the Menace #20, Bethlehem copy:

727870-20.jpg

Well, that's it for the Dennis Bethlehems! frown.gif

I will post a few more from the regular series to give an idea of what "non-Bethlehems" look like, then move on to talking about the contents of the first issues. I will do that by way of going back to the pictures of the issues and posting info about them so all the info about each issue is posted with the picture of the issue. For example, my comments about the art & story for #1 will be edited into the post that has the picture of the #1. That way all the info is together and not scattered around the thread.

From there, I will post the first 20 giants, then the giveaways, then the book collections, then the digests and some original art.

If this thread dies, so be it. I'm very encouraged and gladdened by the posters who have been interested so far, so I will keep going. If the number of views or posts from others besides me slacks off, then I will get the message that enough is enough.

I hope you have enjoyed this thread so far.

Joe