• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dark Horse Comics TV show plans
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Since Umbrella Academy helped lay the groundwork to prove Dark Horse has solid material throughout its portfolio, maybe this is how Hellboy and the BPRD can overcome the film failure.

And being Netflix, it could be slightly racy and not impact the horror side of the stories. :wishluck:

Embracer Group, a European holding company with a portfolio of video game development studios and publishers, has entered into an agreement to publish Dark Horse Comics, one of the largest publisher of comics in the United States. Embracer Group announced the purchase today, stating that the sale would be finalized in early 2022. The purchase will include Dark Horse's comics publishing arm, production company, and the comics retail chain Things From Another World. As a part of the purchase, Embracer Group will keep Dark Horse as a separate operating entity, similar to nine other companies owned by the group. Current Dark Horse CEO Mike Richardson will continue to the lead the company after the acquisition. Financial details of the purchase were not disclosed. 

"I can't express the excitement I feel as Dark Horse moves into this new chapter in our history," Richardson said in a press release announcing the purchase. "The synergies that exist with the Embracer network of companies  promises exciting new opportunities not only for Dark Horse, but also for the creators and companies we work with. I've had a number of compelling conversations with Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors and I'm very impressed with him and what he and his team have built. I have to say, the future for our company has never looked brighter."

Embracer Group is the holding company that owns THQ Nordic, Saber Interactive, Deep Silver, and Koch Media, as well as numerous smaller game studios that operate under one of its company's umbrellas. Some of the company's notable franchises include Darksiders, Dead Island, and Destroy All Humans. 

Embracer cited that Dark Horse would strengthen its transmedia capabilities by adding expertise in content development, comics publishing, and film & TV production. Dark Horse owns or controls more than 300 intellectual properties, which represents an opportunity to grow Embracer's portfolio of IP and strengthen the opportunity to develop IP in multiple media simultaneously. 

Edited by Bosco685

I wouldn't mind seeing Captain Midnight get some attention. Too bad it'll be Ghost and probably Barb Wire because of the awful 90's film. 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:31 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Captain Midnight get some attention. Too bad it'll be Ghost and probably Barb Wire because of the awful 90's film. 

X has been in the works for years. And then there are others.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:01 PM, The Meta said:

Really sad they lost Aliens and Predator 

I really wanted to see Hive made into a movie or show

Do they still own rights to Mask? I think that would make an excellent show

They are actually working on a Mask reboot. Though not sure how excited I am for that.

On 12/21/2021 at 2:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

They are actually working on a Mask reboot. Though not sure how excited I am for that.

Well, look at it this way, it cant be worse than Tick

Tick took a bit to grow on me, but the Amazon series wasn't terrible. I still think an adult cartoon, much in the line of Archer, would translate very well, and since superheroes have taken off, a wide audience would be very accepting of the material

Embracer Group may as well brag about its course to world domination. This news shores up that the Swedish juggernaut is entering the world of multimedia fame. That may be why the progenitor of Dark Horse, Mike Richardson, is so happy about this:

“I can’t express the excitement I feel as Dark Horse moves into this new chapter in our history. The synergies that exist with the Embracer network of companies promise exciting new opportunities not only for Dark Horse but also for the creators and companies we work with. I’ve had a number of compelling conversations with Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors and I’m very impressed with him and what he and his team have built. I have to say, the future for our company has never looked brighter.”

Once the cleaning crew vacuumed confetti from the floor and balloons were let loose, the fans were left wondering. What does this acquisition mean for them? How will Dark Horse Comics grow from this acquisition?

• Black Hammer
  • Concrete
  • Grendel
  • Nexus
  • X

Dark Horse Comic Shows and Movies Coming Soon to Netflix

Netflix and Dark Horse Comics have teamed up in both multiple ways over the past few years and plenty more is to come thanks to a renewed “multi-year, first-look film and TV deal”. Here’s a full breakdown of every upcoming Dark Horse Comics project, the series and movies you can already watch on Netflix right now.

Established 35 years ago, Dark Horse Comics has become one of the biggest names in comic publishing and, much like all of their counterparts in the space, is aggressively moving into TV and movies. Helping them achieve this is Netflix who have already released a number of adaptations since 2019 and will be doing so aggressively, thanks to a first-look deal struck in 2019 and renewed in 2022.

Grendel (Series)

Andrew Dabb will be writing and showrunning this new action-fantasy series based on the comic by Matt Wagner. The series will follow a gifted fencer who doubles as an assassin who is looking to avenge his one true love but rather than directly taking them on, he joins the criminal underworld. Madeline Zima, Jaime Ray Newman and Kevin Corrigan are on board to star.

Lady Killer (Movie)

Blake Lively is on board to star in this adaptation written by Diablo Cody. Lady Killer is a comic book series by Joelle Jones and Jamie S. Rich. It was first released in 2015 to critical acclaim. The story of Lady Killer follows a 1950s housewife who is hiding a dark secret.

Dept. H (Movie)

This movie will follow the daughter of a murdered scientist discovering what led to his death in a deep-sea research facility. Alice Waddington, the director of Paradise Hills is on board to direct this feature film. It’s in early development as of late 2021.

Mystery Girl (Movie)

Tiffany Haddish is on board to play the role of Trine with McG set to direct this mystery thriller. The movie is about a girl with psychic abilities teaming up with a useless cop to solve crimes and find out about where her powers came from. Mystery Girl is expected to begin production in 2022.

Bang! (Movie)

As part of a renewed deal with Dark Horse Comics in August 2022, a feature film with Idris Elba both producing and starring was announced based on the comic book by Matt Kindt (writer) and Wilfredo Torres (artist). The comic, first released in February 2020, promised “action, mystery and altered reality,” and it certainly delivered. The movie will see Elba play the role of a secret agent who is sent to track down and kill the author responsible for a series of novels meant to brainwash readers to start an apocalypse. 87North Productions and Green Door Pictures are producing the movie.

Mind MGMT

Just like Bang!, this comic series was written by Matt Kindt and will be getting a 60-minute series at Netflix. Curtis Gwinn, who worked on Stranger Things, serves as an executive producer on the project.

Here’s what you need to know about the premise of the series:

“A young woman stumble onto the top-secret Mind Management program. Her ensuing journey involves weaponized psychics, hypnotic advertising, talking dolphins, and seemingly immortal pursuers, as she attempts to find the man who was Mind Management’s greatest success — and its most devastating failure.”