• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of the real Domino
1 1

137 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

??? How is that similar?

What's a "cameo, full" appearance? An appearance is either brief/cameo or full.

Venom's first full appearance is ASM 300 in (approximately) 80 panels on 24 pages as the main focus of the story. Before that, he had appeared as a mysterious, obscured/partial figure in

• one (or two, if you believe he was the fully shadowed figure in the previous panel) panel of WoSM 18
  • one panel of WoSM 24
  • five panels on one page of ASM 298
  • two panels on one page of ASM 299

before stepping out of the shadows on the last (splash) page of ASM 299.

It's similar in the sense that it's not cut and dry and you can argue that his first appearance isn't in ASM 300.  It's similar, but not exactly the same I know.  It was the closest example I could think of, sorry for letting you down brah lol

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

There are lots of first appearances that are only on the cover. Can anybody prove the Domino on the cover of NM #98 is not Neena Thurman instead of Copycat? Seriously, there's no way to tell.

46 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

There are lots of first appearances that are only on the cover.

No. That wouldn't be true even if covers were appearances (in which case it might be 0.000001%).

46 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Can anybody prove the Domino on the cover of NM #98 is not Neena Thurman instead of Copycat? Seriously, there's no way to tell.

So what? Covers may sell books, but they aren't appearances.

There's no way to prove that any character on any cover is "real" and not an impostor or illusion or whatever because there's no accompanying narrative.

9 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

No. That wouldn't be true even if covers were appearances (in which case it might be 0.000001%).

So what? Covers may sell books, but they aren't appearances.

There's no way to prove that any character on any cover is "real" and not an impostor or illusion or whatever because there's no accompanying narrative.

There was an entire thread here about cover only first appearances. Or was it on another site? Either way it does happen. 

Your second point proves mine. The first time you see a character is logically their first appearance. Unless your argument is it has to be in the narrative only to count.

Eventually, as the market and the (current) collectors mature, lame-azz 1st appearances, will be recognized as just that, and we will return to normalcy.:preach:

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Juno Beach said:

There are lots of first appearances that are only on the cover. Can anybody prove the Domino on the cover of NM #98 is not Neena Thurman instead of Copycat? Seriously, there's no way to tell.

How do you know it's not Mystique...? hmmmmmmmm...... :whistle:

cant believe this got complicated cuz Liefeld and cgc created this issue(pun intended). Though there is a lot of disagreement which is sad cuz you would have thought that the 1st appearance formula would have been solved by now, I think Liefeld is cheating.  I'll give him a pass on NM 98 since we have had that before with Capt America in Strange Tales 114 was not actually Cap but the Acrobat(I know it was mentioned before by someone pretty intelligent as apples and oranges but lets just take the similarities here) and then with Valkyrie in Avengers 83 but she was really the Enchantress.  The market says imposters dont count as much.  

But in this case, Liefeld is trying to say is flashbacks dont count.  Which defies logic cuz what if we said Wolverines 1st appearance in Hulk 181(not cameo 180) was a flashback in the storyline?  God forbid it be a dream sequence.  Because Liefeld is playing Marvel Universe god, he is telling us that he only counts things that are not flashbacks.  And CGC is playing that same role by legitimizing it in the marketplace.  Based on 1st appearance rules in all of Marvel history, Xforce 8 should be the 1st appearance.

AND furthermore, to illustrate the power of CGC, since they deem Xforce 11 as the 1st appearance, there have been 1261 submissions for #11 to be graded at cgc in which 806 are 9.8.  guess how many #8s have been submitted and are 9.8?  ONE and it graded 9.8. #8 is a ghost town folks

Edited by brianchew

7 hours ago, brianchew said:

cant believe this got complicated cuz Liefeld and cgc created this issue(pun intended). Though there is a lot of disagreement which is sad cuz you would have thought that the 1st appearance formula would have been solved by now, I think Liefeld is cheating.  I'll give him a pass on NM 98 since we have had that before with Capt America in Strange Tales 114 was not actually Cap but the Acrobat(I know it was mentioned before by someone pretty intelligent as apples and oranges but lets just take the similarities here) and then with Valkyrie in Avengers 83 but she was really the Enchantress.  The market says imposters dont count as much.  

But in this case, Liefeld is trying to say is flashbacks dont count.  Which defies logic cuz what if we said Wolverines 1st appearance in Hulk 181(not cameo 180) was a flashback in the storyline?  God forbid it be a dream sequence.  Because Liefeld is playing Marvel Universe god, he is telling us that he only counts things that are not flashbacks.  And CGC is playing that same role by legitimizing it in the marketplace.  Based on 1st appearance rules in all of Marvel history, Xforce 8 should be the 1st appearance.

AND furthermore, to illustrate the power of CGC, since they deem Xforce 11 as the 1st appearance, there have been 1261 submissions for #11 to be graded at cgc in which 806 are 9.8.  guess how many #8s have been submitted and are 9.8?  ONE and it graded 9.8. #8 is a ghost town folks

I think it has more to do with the fact that Liefeld was not the main writer or artist on #8.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that Liefeld was not the main writer or artist on #8.

I agree, but seriously, the 'real' domino was on the cover of #8 too. #8 is the 1st app.  No question in my mind.  But I don't mind letting the buyers do what they want, its their money

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

He only did the art for the framing sequence, but the writing credits are the same as the other issues.

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Ya, it looks like Liefeld was the still the writer and creative force on #8

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Is this a Rob ghost account?

IMG_4740.JPG

lol  Nope just a person who can say, Anyone who thinks Liefeld had nothing to do with #8 can delete their comments and just say Liefeld is trying to dictate where the 1st appearance of Domino should be(#11) even though it will always be #8 even if the market backs up #11

5 hours ago, brianchew said:

Ya, it looks like Liefeld was the still the writer and creative force on #8

34 minutes ago, brianchew said:

lol  Nope just a person who can say, Anyone who thinks Liefeld had nothing to do with #8 can delete their comments and just say Liefeld is trying to dictate where the 1st appearance of Domino should be(#11) even though it will always be #8 even if the market backs up #11

(shrug)

On 8/9/2017 at 0:08 AM, brianchew said:

Not following what you mean about Valkyrie. Even though in Avengers #83 it turns out to be the Enchantress it's still known to be the first appearance of her. Is there another appearance that is worth more?

On 8/9/2017 at 3:08 AM, brianchew said:

That's not accurate.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=X-Force&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=8&year=1992&issuedate=3%2F92

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps