• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the Non-Pedigree Original Owner Collections
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Excluding official pedigree sets currently designated by CGC, what are the collections that rank best in terms of overall quality? Average pq? Highest number of major SA keys included?

Thanks for the insight.

John

new hampshires are great books. cookeville books are very cool. I love those little "nd" cape cods, even if they do make notre dame flit momentarily across my consciousness. but my fave non-cgc recognized hoard are eldon's books.

If we`re talking about predominantly silver non-pedigree collections, the top ones off the top of my head would be:

Slobodian

Golden State

Toth (particularly for DC)

Janowicz

Mound

There was another really nice SA collection sold primarily through Heritage, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Edited by tth2

If we`re talking about predominantly silver non-pedigree collections, the top ones off the top of my head would be:

Slobodian

Golden State

Janowicz

Mound City

I'd agree from having owned a few examples and having seen more that the top four are all great SA collections. The top two in particular should probably have been given a formal pedigree designation, excepting for the problems associated with a tiny handful of restoration cases (Slobodian) and with full cataloging (Golden State). As for the Mound City, it did have an exceptional set of ten cent and early twelve cent DCs in sweet shape. The Christie's collection had many nice high grade SA runs as well. The Las Vegas collection was more like a 'warehouse' find (even though I was told the comics were stored in a home), but is notable for having produced numerous top census copies of early SA Marvels, and singlehandedly skewing the census on a couple of issues that were present in large quantity in near mint condition, like DD #1 and ASM #14.

The Joe and Nadia Mannarino books generally suffer from paper quality inferior to those listed above.

Slobodian

Golden State

Janowicz

Mound

There was another really nice SA collection sold primarily through Heritage, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Was it the Twin Cities collection? They had nice colors and pages, if I recall correctly, but the grading was a bit loose IMHO.

Edited by kimik

I did not realize it was a pedigree, sorry.

The grading was loose on it, IMHO. I won a few books, chased and lost others, and overall was a little disappointed in the grading on the ones I received. At least they were way better than the Savannah books.......

Edited by kimik

The Toronto collection was chock full of nice 50's books. The RJ Long/ Portsmouth collection had some real nice early SA books. Probably out of everything I've heard mentioned so far, the Pedigree that "should have been" was Edenwald. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sid's Luncheonette

.... how could I have forgotten Burntboy doh! ...... and he was such a valuable addition to the boards as well. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sid's Luncheonette

.... how could I have forgotten Burntboy doh! ...... and he was such a valuable addition to the boards as well. GOD BLESS...

doh!doh! I also forgot...

Circle 8, Diamond Run, and Mile High II have been dropped by CGC as recognized Pedigrees.

The Oregon Collection, introduced by Metropolis I believe, had a lot of White Paged early DC Silver.

Sid's Luncheonette

Absolutely.