• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost in collecting- Om's Journal by oldmilwaukee6er
1 1

403 posts in this topic

From strewn about the road to minty fresh

Slipped down to the LCS WED night and what do you know!? There were only 4 Marvel titles on the shelf. It appears there was a Diamond Comic Distribution truck involved in a serious traffic accident in Indiana last week. Check out the Bleeding Cool article that shows screenshots of accident on I-71 southbound in Madison County, IN. According to Mueller (2016), “The semi carrying comics had broken down on the side of the road, and the driver was asleep in the cab waiting assistance. Another semi crashed into the back of the comics semi, ripping open the side and spilling its cargo all over the highway” (para. 1).

The articles intimate that it was just Deadpool comics, but as many Midwesterners learned this week- it was actually many of our comic books on that truck! By THURS most everything was back on the shelf. My pulls were:

Art Ops 5

Munchkin 14

Jem & the Holograms 12

Spawn 261; all Larsen copies of Spawn had upper right corner ding. I ended buying the sketch cover because it was the best condition.

Spawn261_zpschmrglzv.jpg

Many of the books I observed did not have damage; however it was NOT a normal week. The LCS showed me some internal paperwork of “damages” and “impacts to customers” for just my chain and he said that it was the biggest he’d ever seen it. In some cases individual titles missing 70-100 issues. It should be noted that the driver was taken to the hospital. I hope he was OK! A one-day delay of comics is small potatoes compared to a big traffic accident.

But something tells me 9.8 books are going to be tough to find for many Midwesterners this week.

ALSO… MY LAST BATCH OF CGC BOOKS ARRIVED WEDNESDAY! I am scanning them this morning. :) I won’t spoil too much, but I am pretty happy. I entered the Freak Brothers #1 into the Registry and it was worth 4000 points! o.O

Images to follow.

References

Johnston, R. (2016, Feb. 18). Deadpool comic books, all over the freeway (Diamond update). Bleeding Cool. Retrieved from http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/18/deadpool-comic-books-all-over-the-freeway/

Mueller, M. (2016, Feb. 18). Truck accident spills Deadpool comics all over the freeway. Retrieved from http://comicbook.com/2016/02/18/truck-accident-spills-deadpool-comics-all-over-the-freeway/#Comments137772

That Spawn sketch cover looks killer!

I'm really trying to fight the itch to extend my collection beyond issue 250. It's a good stopping point from a story point of view and it's a nice, round number. I'm also not a fan of Spawn's new "let's rip-off Venom" look and the stories seem weaker than ever.

:(

Speaking of Spawn, have you recently found anything in which I might be interested?

:baiting:

:D

That Spawn sketch cover looks killer!

I'm really trying to fight the itch to extend my collection beyond issue 250. It's a good stopping point from a story point of view and it's a nice, round number. I'm also not a fan of Spawn's new "let's rip-off Venom" look and the stories seem weaker than ever.

Speaking of Spawn, have you recently found anything in which I might be interested?

Thanks for the response, NS! I know what you mean about nice round number. At 260 I did the math to 300, the number set by Sim w/ Cerebus. ~$120 plus tax, which is doable for me. So I am in through 300. I have about 5 to go for #1-160 and large chunks missing from #171 to 246. I did take a look at my 26-27 and my first thought was not 9.8 perfect. Of your list... I only have candidates:

And you see my luck w/ 9.8s (<25%). I do have a CGC 9.8 WHITE #100 Alex Ross & a CGC 9.6 SS #101 (Medina & ?? will have to dig it out)

I can check again :wishluck:

I cannot pick 9.8s with great accuracy

No Wednesday One last week, as I did not have anything from my normal pull list and thus avoided the LCS. Normally this would be a good week to catch up with my reading; however I am behind in that as well. I recently have been doing some online faculty development sessions and thus have put energy into that. I did go through my Spawns and pull some candidates for Newshane’s consideration. I think two of those books could go 9.8. I just want to help because I thought about trying Spawn 1-100 in 9.8 back when I was posting on CPG boards.

Which brings me to a topic I have been thinking about- rolling around in my mind- is that I CANNOT PICK 9.8 books with great success. :cry:

I think I am good at quickly evaluating the 5+ books on the rack and selecting the best copy. However, that copy is not guaranteed 9.8. I get about as anal retentive / OCD as I can be and that would be 9.4+.

That revelation kinda sucks for a self-proclaimed hygrader. Nonetheless, I know it is true. The right book in VF 8.0 can look high grade and the nickel and diming that occurs (or does not occur consistently) above 9.6 is enough to leave me shaking my head sometimes. I think I am going to submit my Freak Brothers and then perhaps take a break from submissions. Not that I am disappointed with my own recent results; I'm not. It is just that 9.8s are so tough to find.

So it was in this low self-realization that my mind wandered to Avengers #1 a book that is probably #2 on my want list… I checked some of the large dealer’s websites surfing and eyeballing some low grade Avengers #1 comics. Right now the book is pretty steady at $450-500 per point with 4.0s netting ~2k, 3.5s ~1600, 3.0s ~1300-1400, & 2.0-2.5s ~1200-1300. The real competitive price points occur at the 1.8-2.5s (1250) and again at 4.5-5.5s (2750)… but overall this book continues to appreciate.

A few I gaggled…

Metro - http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=654563&set=0

Reece - https://www.gregreececomics.com/Titles/Avengers

Highgrade - http://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=search_results&quick_search=avengers&submit_search.x=0&submit_search.y=0&submit_search=submitname

It would be so easy to quit right now and take my $1900 saved up and buy one. Forget ASM1, I could maybe have this book next month at WW Madison. I have not been very methodical on my goals through February:

COMPLETE1. Buy Zap Comix #16

COMPLETE2. Advance my Zap Comix project in general

FAIL3. Sell at least one thing per month (set aside at least 50% for Amazing Spider-Man #1 fund, currently at $2005 1900; save another $1k for ASM1)

:news: 4. Submit my ‘homegrown hardcovers’ for Zap Comix and Freak Brothers to the bookbinder Gatchaman uses (Herring & Robinson, CA; JAN-FEB16)

FAIL5. Submit a panel and attend WW Madison (APR16) and hopefully regional popular culture conference (OCT16)

PENDING6. On-site submit my high grade raw / PGX Freak Brothers at WW Madison (and maybe a few Zaps)

Having success here... 7. Run collect / Dollar box grind Usagi Yojimbos with less emphasis on condition

Less success here... 8. Run collect / Dollar box grind Spawn with more emphasis on condition

FAIL10. Downsize in general- books, clothing – and generally be WAY MORE SELECTIVE what I bring into the house (figure out some sort of measurable metric here)

Some of the other clean living and family stuff is going pretty well! And just writing this is helping my focus... ANYways, my online teaching is mostly done for the day so I am going outside to play… daydreaming about downsizing into some Silver Age comics.

FAIL 5. Submit a panel and attend WW Madison (APR16) and hopefully regional popular culture conference (OCT16)

:news:SUCCESS! MON night I had dinner with the lady and the chef and the decision was made to 'let the panel go' I had hoped to do on the future of comics. I even wrote about it briefly (above). Well, yesterday was the deadline for panel submissions to Madison and I was contacted by the WW Program Coordinator to reprise our underground comix and Wisconsin panel from 2015 (this time on Saturday)! Free admission!

Last week we celebrated a milestone birthday for the lady at a local empanadas place, some drinks and food as my gift- some 30 friends and family throughout the night. It was grand. My oldest sister hired a balloon person and he twisted up headpieces, flowers (I got a boutonniere), bracelets, and fairy wings for the girls. A theme throughout the night, Leap Day, was party for our ‘favorite 10-year old,’ so that was a nice touch.

40_zpso2gphqys.jpg

The passing of the lady’s birthday marks our transition back into 11+ weeks of straight teaching / work (and out of the holidays that continued into FEB with birthdays and Mardi Gras). Her spring quarter started this week. So this week is about establishing new habits, many of which will be work related. Still, it must be working because I am ahead on my classes and have several pages of notes to type up, so the writing is flowing too.

In celebrating a milestone birthday and with the NOV elections approaching, the lady and I have been reflecting a lot on our time together. Soon we will have been together for over 20 years and then we will have been together longer than we were apart. The thought is sometimes mind-boggling. She’s known me longer than I knew myself.

In fairness, however, I had a clear vision of us together early on. We were first part of a larger group of friends before we dated, and we were each other’s “backup.” I used to joke about how we’d meet at 45- she the crazy professor, me the scientist and have a wild fling. Before long I thought, if I can seem myself with this person at 40, then why wait? And we wed after a short engagement period. Fast forward 20 years and many comic books later.

WELL. . . as we approach our mid-life tryst rendezvous it occurs to me. . . I have no vision of our next 20 years! What do we want to do, see, and accomplish? Where will we live? What does that look like? These are the questions I have been posing for a week now.

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

The Wednesday NOne for 3/9/16

I have been tidying up lately, trying to regain control of my comic book closet. Ever since the last two batches of CGC books arrived, I have officially outgrown my capacity for graded books. All CGC books are back now and the results were on average better than predicted with 1-2 notable disappointments. Overall, I know my grading is tight but not perfect… so I am beginning to question my chase of 9.8s. If you scan the ongoing underground comix thread HERE, you will see that deals abound to those that grind eBay for an information gap. However, one still has to buy a book advertised as NM 9.4 five times or more before it is actually graded that or better, let alone sees 9.8. The quest for 9.8s is tough and requires some manner of luck.

MON was ½ off burgers at a fave local spot and the chef showed up! Obviously it is tough to get him to eat outside of his restaurant he can pretty much cook there for free. Still, it was a pleasant surprise. We talked Boss Monster (we have not played yet), X-Wing, the Black All Stars heroclix, the video game Division, and TUES trivia.

Things are about to get busy busy for us and I have a nagging feeling that I will begin to lose ground on my collecting goals the next 2-3 months. On my mind too is some much needed home repairs… and a possible special assessment for improvements to balconies and storm windows. This stuff sometimes makes funny book seem like more of a diversion from reality (versus an enriching of it).

Random thoughts

I heart Mad Men (Netflix). The lady and I are re-watching it straight through, about 2 episodes per day.

I sorta heart Breaking Bad. My insomnia is back and I watch it when I am up at night or early in the morning. Through two seasons it is hitting a nice little rhythm and I like I can fast forward the slow portions.

I meh The Office. Normally background noise in the morning, this series is beginning to wear thin on me after multiple re-watches.

Monthly pre-sales and future back issue markets

In tidying up and preparing for New Comic Wednesday, I noticed two unread comic books: Extraordinary X-Men #7 and Star Wars #16. I checked the lists of books shipping this week and it looks there is nothing that I collect. Another Wednesday None. I have been curious about comic book sales figures recently and so spent a little time on TUES researching select titles on Comichron. As of February 2016 (and of the titles that I am pulling), Star Wars pre-sells the most with 110k copies.

2 Star Wars 16 110k

3 Batman 49 102k

29 Extraordinary X-Men 7 47k

39 Paper Girls 5 37k

63 Fight Club2 9 29k

123 Spawn 260 17.8k

131 Spawn 261 17k

186 Jem & Holograms 12 9k

260 Assassin’s Creed 5 5k

282 Usagi Yojimbo 152 4.2k

Spawn has sold between 16-18k copies per issue since the 190s or so, with a notable spike to 65k copies for #200. Usagi Yojimbo vol3 declined following #125 and through Sakai’s hiatus to work on 47 Ronin, say 131 was only 3.6k copies (down from 4.9k copies for 125). Now it routinely surpasses 4k copies sold.

I do not really know where I am going with this other than to say WOW LOW SALES and that I was thinking of this data through the lens of someone trying to collect 9.8 copies and how difficult lots of modern books will be on the secondary back issue market- say only 17k sold copies of Spawn 261 or trying to re-collect a book that has sold fewer than 5k copies nationwide.

The Lady Speaks. . . Non Console Ways to Waste Time gwen_zpsuftemui0.jpg

Today I’m going to talk to you about the myriad of non-console games I use to waste time. Some of these will be phone games and others PC. Most I have paid very little to nothing to own.

Mountain

This is a strange game in which you watch a simulated mountain. Yes, a mountain; that’s pretty much it. Sometimes bizarre things fall onto the mountain (airplanes, cows, pieces of cake, etc.). A few times a day the mountain gives you a zen koan. The times of day and seasons change. That’s really it. As far as simulators go, it’s pretty dull. Yet, I find myself playing it (if that’s even the right phrasing) on my computer at work. This one was offered free by the developer.

Viridi

Except that there’s a simulator even duller and yet quite addictive. Viridi is a game in which you grow succulents in a pot. You get them as seedlings (one free per week in the store or you can buy them for as little as $.04). I check mine about twice a week. You water your succulents and pull weeds. They grow. If you’re feeling creative you can change the pot you’ve planted them in. You can pull plants and reposition them to get the best looking pot possible; or, you can toss them and plan new seedlings. Every time you get a new seedling the game tells you “Life is fleeting, only death is eternal.” If I were a deeper person I’d ponder the meaning of that statement. This is another PC game I got free through Steam.

Neko Atsume

Other wise known as “the cat game,” Neko Atsume is the phone game in which you entertain and feed digital cats. In the spirit of full disclosure, I have two real cats. You put out toys for the cats, they leave you fish in exchange. Some fish are gray and some are gold. You use those fish to buy food and more toys. Just like real cats, oftentimes the toys you buy don’t get any action because cats are fickle. Even digital cats are fickle, it seems. Unlike real cats, these cats don’t barf on your furniture. Believe me, that’s a plus. (Disclaimer, I love animals and will put up with all their insanity quite happily).

The goal of Neko Atsume is to collect all the cats in the Catbook. Each cat gets its own page where you can store photos (taken with the in-app camera) and learn about the cat’s personality.

There are 49 cats in total. 16 of these are “rare” cats with names like Lady Meow Meow, Guy Furry, Bob the Cat, Joe Dimeowggio, Rameses the Great, Chairman Meow, and Katmandu. Two additional cats are very powerful (but truly, the power rankings mean squat) but not considered rare. These are Tubbs (who will eat up all your food and leave behind a spoon ton of fish if you let him lounge) and Peaches. The cats also give you “mementos” as the game progresses and no, these are not dead birds or animal parts. That’s pretty much it.

Two rare cats in one photo... Lady Meow Meow & Mr. Meowgi

mrmeowgi_zpsdlgmmymk.png

You check on your cats maybe once an hour, maybe only once a day. If there’s no food out, there’s no cats but it’s not like they starve or anything. This isn’t Tamogotchi. But damn if the cats aren’t adorable! They all play with the toys in different ways which is cute. The most cats I’ve been able to get at once is 12. That’s a lot of cats. And I never have to scoop a litter box!

A photo of 12 bittens... try and beat meh!

12bittens_zpstymt1ypb.png

It took me about a month to “capture” all the cats (sorry for the Pokemon speak, but I feel like this is a totally low stakes Pokemon). Yesterday, six weeks in, I bought all the toys I could possibly buy. Now I’m just trying to lure the rare cats out enough so they leave me mementos. So far only Ramses has left me anything. I’m also trying to get as many rare cats in one picture as possible. Unfortunately the most I can entice is two.

The rarest in all the land... the low-powered, but 'frosty' Frosty

frosty_zpsgc4qfhpc.png

I like this game precisely because it is so low stakes. Also, while there are in-app purchases possible (for fish, natch) there is absolutely no incentive to do so.

Neko Atsume is so popular that pop up stores are appearing in Japan selling merch with the various cats on it. You can also buy online from Japan, if one is so inclined.

Death’s Life

You are an apprentice Grim Reaper. It is your job to stage more and more elaborate scenes which end with the “accidental” death of some poor schlub. This games operates on a Rube Goldberg machine principle. By simply clicking objects to adjust their positioning, you set into action a series of events that end in decapitation or evisceration and several other wonderfully macabre ways to die.

I downloaded this game from the developer as it is in Beta testing. I think it’s fun, but I would like to have multiple paths to the death. As it stands now, there is one and only one right answer. This limits the ability to have multiple play throughs and that seems short-sighted..

Hidden Object Games

What would I do without Steam, its large library of hidden object games, and its periodic $.99 sales? Probably accomplish a lot more with my life, that’s what! Of the nearly 200 games in my Steam library, easily 150+ are hidden object games.

Hidden object games are slightly more involved than Candy Crush but not nearly as engaging as most console games. It’s just clicking and solving the occasional puzzle. The puzzles invariably fall into a few categories: spin the rings to complete a picture, swap tiles to complete a picture, an actual puzzle, move the blocks to get the key to opening, using the buttons move the balls to their correct colors, and. . .well, you get the idea.

Some of my favorites are Escape from the Museum, Dracula: Love Kills, The Clockwork Man series, and the Mystery Files series.

The stories matter not at all to me with these games. I skip the narration as much as I can. Hidden object games are satisfying in the sense that most have achievements and awards you can win as you go along. And they make me feel smart, which is important.

When choosing a hidden object game there are several things to consider. First, who developed the game. Gogii games makes decent inoffensive games whereas Big Fish Games run the gamut but do have some dark and mature games. The Mystery Files series is a more adult series as is Dark Parables. Not all hidden object games are created equal, that’s for sure.

Basically it boils down to this—if it’s free or nearly free, I will totally give the game the ol’ college try. Why? Because I’m a gamer, that’s why.

Mile High Order- A C2E2 consolation prize

More information: http://www.c2e2.com/

I wrote this while C2E2 was approaching and it is a convention that I have not attended since relocating to the Midwest in 2008. Most everyone around here says it is great (particularly for comic books), even better than WW Chicago; however Wizard World over the summer works better for our schedule. It seems like every time C2E2 rolls around things are chaos. Also, it always takes me a couple of months to gather and execute the taxes, so it seems like C2E2 hits when money is tight. Unfortunately, this year was no different.

The lady recently splurged on the Complete Wimmen’s Comix collection from Fantagraphics ( http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Wimmens-Comix-Trina-Robbins/dp/1606998986 ), some 700+ pages of feminist underground comix. She has most of the source material but likely not all and someday hopes to do a more substantial writing project on the topic.

So, last week I thought I might treat myself to a little shopping spree. There have been a few comic books that I have been eyeing on Mile High Comics- namely I pay attention to the titles I run-collect and pull the trigger when the price is right. When I lived in Montana in the early internet days, it was almost as if Mile High was my only comic book store. You generally will not find me complaining about them, as I know how to play the game and wait for the right codeword sale. For me, Mile High has always been a consolation prize.

I have been thinking of ‘going all completionist’ on Usagi Yojimbo and try and get his appearances in other titles, possibly in an attempt to bind the entire comic run someday (redonkulous, I know). Here is what I plucked (codeword saved me an additional $45 on these prices):

[bI] Automatic Press HATTER M VOL. 1: FAR FROM WONDER FCBD (2014) #1 NearMint 1 @ $3.99 = $ 3.99

[bI] Automatic Press HATTER M: SEEKING WONDER TPB (2015) #1 NearMint 1 @ $7.50 = $ 7.50* **

[bI] Dark Horse Comics DARK HORSE MAVERICK 2001 #1 NearMint 1 @ $4.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Dark Horse Comics HOUSE OF FUN ONE-SHOT (2012) #1 NearMint 2 @ $5.60 = $ 11.20*

[bI] Fantagraphics CRITTERS (1986) #6 NearMint 1 @ $4.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Fantagraphics CRITTERS (1986) #7 NearMint 1 @ $4.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Fantagraphics CRITTERS (1986) #10 NearMint 1 @ $4.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Fantagraphics CRITTERS (1986) #11 NearMint 1 @ $4.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Fantagraphics DOOMSDAY SQUAD (1986) #3 NearMint 2 @ $2.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Fantagraphics USAGI YOJIMBO (1987) #32 NearMint 1 @ $7.50 = $ 7.50*

[bI] Fantagraphics USAGI YOJIMBO (1987) #38 Fine 1 @ $5.45 = $ 5.45*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #26 NearMint 2 @ $2.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #27 NearMint 2 @ $2.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #171 NearMint 1 @ $4.80 = $ 4.80*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #172 NearMint 1 @ $3.25 = $ 3.25*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #173 NearMint 1 @ $4.80 = $ 4.80*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #235 NearMint 1 @ $4.00 = $ 4.00*

[bI] Image Comics SPAWN (1992) #246 NearMint 1 @ $5.00 = $ 5.00*

[bI] Oni Press Inc. ONI DOUBLE FEATURE #10 NearMint 1 @ $3.60 = $ 3.60*

[bI] Shanda Fantasy Arts IN THE ZONE SPECIAL (2000) #2000 Fine 1 @ $5.45 = $ 5.45*

[bI] Wizard Press WIZARD: GUIDE TO COMICS (MAG) #97 BATGIRLUNB VeryGood 1 @ $2.90 = $ 2.90*

The Hatter M’s are for the lady. The Spawns / Usagis for me. The Critters I have, but for $2 each I am playing my own little lottery on the 1-2 upgrade copies I might get. The oddball stuff is mostly odd Usagi stories for possible future binding. It is, after all, my favorite comic book to read.

The Lady Speaks. . . The Complete Wimmen’s Comix

I learned from Om on March 7th that Fantagraphics was publishing a two volume The Complete Wimmin’s Comix. The date it was due to drop? March 7th. I went to Amazon and quickly found it at 35% off the MSRP so I bought it.

The slip cased, 2 volume set comprises more than 700 pages of underground comix written and drawn by women for women (courtesy Fantagraphics).

wimmens_zpswgqnvj0q.jpg

I’ve been very slowly gathering all the hardcopy issues of various women’s underground comix for years now. I must say, my collection is pretty sweet. I have It Ain’t Me Babe, Mama’s Dramas, Abortion Eve, Wimmen’s Comix 1-12 and 14, plus a TON of others like Pudge Girl Blimp, Tits & Clits, and so on. My ultimate goal is to write an article or two on women’s underground comix. Currently the only voice on the topic is that of Trina Robbins. I have immense respect for her but when only one person is control of the history, there isn’t much of a dialogue. I want to change that and these books are a jumping off point.

I’ve been hesitant to really dig into my issues because some of them are quite rare and Om has made me paranoid about devaluing a comic. ;) Yes, many of my copies are reader copies or second prints, but still.

CGC 8.5 It Ain’t Me Babe (1st). One in 8.5; 2 higher. Also included the work of Meredith Kurtzman, Willie Mendes, Michele Brand & Nancy Kalish.

itaintmebabe-1.jpg

So I was pretty excited to know that I could have the entirety of Wimmen’s Comix (plus It Ain’t Me Babe) at my fingertips in an easily perusable form. The indexing is absolutely brilliant because it not only lays out the issues by page number, it breaks each issue into its various components. So if I’m looking for the story “My Kitty Loves to Do the ChaChaCha” by Clothchilde I don’t have to just go to Wimmen’s Comix #5 and flip through it; the table of contents clearly tells me it’s on page 197. As a researcher, this is amazing. It’s also nice in contrast to the iZombie graphic novels I just read that have absolutely no pagination.

The content is a bit all over the place. Artist/writers like Lee Mars and Sharon Rudahl produce some of the more consistent stories. The stories that deal with women’s issues like abortion, sexual harassment in the workplace, parenthood, and addiction are the most interesting. But given that it’s the 1970’s many stories veer off into the esoteric stratosphere and are a bit hard to follow or simply trail off the plots. Some artist/writers just are of little interest to me such as R. Crumb’s lady friend, Aline Kominsky. The stories that simply invert male fantasies are less interesting. Anyway, I don’t want to get too deep into content because it is an on-going project of mine.

But really, and this is going to get graphic, I cannot stop swooning over the binding of these books. The smell pages, the heft of the covers, the strength of the binding is just tactically pleasing in a way that probably borders on the obscene. I love books. I’ve always loved books and while I’ve transitioned to a Kindle, it’s done nothing but make my love of a well-crafted book even more acute. Seriously, I want to lick these books, they are that delicious. No matter where you open the books, they fall perfectly. There is not manipulating a stiff spine. These are archival perfection. The books still snap when I open them (and I’ve opened them a ton). I simply cannot handle them. They are gorgeous. And the slipcover is divine. Well done, Fantagraphics! These are sexy, sexy books.

I want every comic to be bound this way.

The Wednesday One- A Batman movie, comic, & some underoos

OK… so a few quick updates because I have to break the habit of not writing creatively.

I am teaching two classes right now, one is with other faculty and so it is kicking my but to stay on top of them and hold a high bar. So, I have been active online, just not is a recreational capacity.

Updates

**We got accepted to Wizard World Madison. Our panel, titled “Everything and the Kitchen Sink: Wisconsin’s Underground Comix Scene,” is SAT at 530-615pm (rally at the Wonder Bar after). With the panel acceptance comes 3-day passes for both of us, so I booked a hotel on Expedia points for 2 nights.

**Lots of music coming up! The Record Company on a $10 show at Turner Ballroom; Galactic with Bombino at Turner Hall; & Steepwater Band at Shank Hall. All right around WWMadison. It is sure to be a time to burn the candle at both ends.

**I have been binging on Netflix’s Housos, Australia’s answer to Trailer Park Boys, with lots of Kevin Smith-esque humor to it. There are some one-liners that are just aces! It is funny late night fodder. I have watched Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad seasons 1-4, and Arrested Development (mornings to replace The Office). Housos! Housos housos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8axAVg7KY

**The Homegrown Hardcovers project is in full effect! I sent the books this morning to the bookbinder. Zap Comix #0-16 and Freak Brothers #0-13. I arranged the Zaps so the wraparound covers appear as one image. I went with simple Buckram cloth bindings, and I look forward to posting pictures of the completed volumes.

batmanvsuperman_zpsnhwra37z.jpg

ANYways, I got to see a preview of Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice last TUES. I stopped by the LCS to brag and pick up my pulls and only old Usagi Yojimbo 153 was waiting for me.

Swung back around for my pulls this week and popped on a bagged Batman #50. All the copies at my LCS had lower left corner damage. This copy felt like it did not, but still… The printer put a board front and back before bagging these and the process still leaves bindery creases.

Bats50%20bc_zpsncjlzngu.jpg

Bats50_zpsyux7bzzk.jpg

Go see Batman v Superman. Do not NOT see it because of some reviewer. Go enjoy and be a fan and make your own decision. I personally enjoyed it. Batfleck was better than expected, pulling off an aging Bruce coping with decades of canon with ease. Is this Christopher Nolen’s aged Bats, all ethical and trained… no not quite, much grittier harder, more Frank Miller. Hard to watch Bats use a gun? Naw, man, I relished it. Zach Snyder’s storytelling is flawed, but this 2.5hrs installment sets up a lot to watch for in the future. I for one am in. Excellent homage to Superman #75 and if only they had the balls to actually kill Superman. Even if but for a movie.

So today, we went to Walmart. Wally world. The biggest of big box stores and I splurged on some Batman v Superman boxers and a Vs logo shirt. My own adult underoos.

I feel like I’m ten. Long live the comic boom.

SAT afternoon and I am finally out from under my grading for exactly 1.5 days. I teach on a weekly cycle with at least 3-5 day turnaround time for grading, so the work is very distributed. The faculty only course ends Easter Sunday and then I get new assignments on MON. I have had a plagiarizer, one faculty that threw a bit of a flame war fit, and one that just went missing (opted out) the past 48 hours. Should be an interesting finish.

Tonight was supposed to be a poker game with my LCS mgr and some of his friends but I doubt that will be happening. I mentioned to him that I was still interested in his Spawn back issues that he collected (and was talking about selling to Half Price books). We’ll see. At any rate, I will see him at Turner Hall WED night for The Record Company.

It looks like Wizard World Madison’s floor plan is starting to fill-out a little. That is a good sign. I see Stylin Online will be there, and I can spend a little money there on a new baseball cap or perhaps a hooded sweatshirt. Last year at WW Madison I struggled to spend $100 and the best thing I bought – at least that I can remember- was a $5 Milk and Cheese #6 first printing. ANYways, I am hoping for the best.

Basically, when I think of WW Madison, I think of two things… on-site submission to CGC and Avengers #1. The more I read about comic books and think about the coming bubble… I think it may well be in key books. The blue chips. The books that most everyone thinks are destined to keep rising. Perhaps corrections akin to Showcase #22 are in order for many key books and Avengers may be cheaper in the future? Sometimes I think so and then become paralyzed to act.

So basically, since I have not sold much of anything I am in the same boat as WW Chicago… I can probably spend money to buy some nice undergrounds and perhaps a kewl book or I can spend money to on site submit. But I cannot do both. And I doubt the right presenting copy of 2.0 - 3.0 Avengers #1 is at the show. Plus I gotta share the love with the lady, so our budget is right around $250 for picking each.

ALSO, I like the idea of submitting my 3 Spawn #1s for a shot at 9.9. Just to roll the dice. Lately, I have been gaining some momentum with my Spawns. In going through and finding a few books to help Shane, I re-did my want list (Shane’s sending me some issues), put in another feeler on my LCS mgr’s run of Spawns that I need (and may be cheap), and came up with the idea of doing a Spawn LCS pick soon. What I am calling a ‘Spawn rip and run,’ where I gobble up whatever I can for my want list from the back issue bins of Greater Milwaukee.

Easter SUN is driving to visit family. I am looking forward to the drive and the alone time in the car with the lady. Sometime about hitting the road and her mind starts working in wonderful and mysterious ways. Who knows what plans we will dream up? But it will be wonderful to reconnect with family and have a little down time. Be well, Om

Neko Atsume

Neko Atsume finally updated Thursday adding two new regular cats (Apricot and Ganache) and two new rare cats (no clue yet). They also added some new stuff to spend fish on. My new goal is to find the following Tubbs shirt in the wild (Tubbs is the fat cat that eats all your food; I know it’s available on Redbubble but that’s not as much fun as earning the shirt):

bougie%20scum_zps1dy7hdzk.jpg

New Comic: Assassin’s Creed Templar #1

This is a five issue mini run centering on the Templar figure of The Black Cross. It’s weird to read something set in the AC universe that is Templar sympathetic but this is a pretty good comic after one issue. It throws you right into the action. Seems there’s a bit of rotten going on in the Templar order.

The story takes place in the 1927 and starts in England but soon we’re moved to Shanghai. Given that the franchise just released (January and February of 2016) the trio of Chronicles which take place in China (16th century), India (early 19th century), and Russia (early 20th century) I wonder if the comic is going to wrap in descendants of the game. It’s not hard to imagine them doing that since the world of AC is fairly cohesive (the upcoming movie aside).

I realize I’m judging on one issue but so far, I’m intrigued. Good art, good characters, and good story.

Assassin’s Creed Unity

Okay, on our way to see Bats v Supes v the World we stopped into Gamestop and pre-owned Unities were on sale for $14.99. Since I’m a completionist and I love the series, I popped on the game. I am aware that it has been universally panned by critics and gamers alike but I couldn’t handle the gap in my collection of main AC titles.

I have not taken the time (or money) to track down Altair’s Chronicles, Bloodlines, AC II: Discovery, Project Legacy, Recollection, Pirates, Memories, Chronicles China, India, and Russia, or Identity if it ever actually launches outside Australia/New Zealand. I think ten (the core games plus Liberation) is enough.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I’m not going to lie, I had incredibly low expectations for this movie. I actually didn’t plan on seeing it at all, but Om’s buddy had free preview tickets at the AMC (an experience I don’t need to go through again). Unlike many, I don’t haze Zach Snyder the way others do and I did enjoy the Watchmen movie for the most part. My skepticism of Ben Affleck coupled with my general distaste for Jesse Eisenberg and the fact that I find Superman incredibly boring is what fueled my reservations.

It wasn’t terrible, it wasn’t great. I think the individual performances, especially those of Affleck, Irons, and Eisenberg, make it worth watching once. The premise of the movie is fantastic—two superheroes with vastly different ideologies about good and evil in the same geographic region having to confront one another. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie doesn’t live up to that premise. There’s also a ton of great secondary characters that are horribly underutilized. Also, can we put a moratorium on Batman’s origin? Haven’t we seen it enough at this point? It’s been 8 movies since 1989, not counting all the animated versions and the television show Gotham.

As is typical with Snyder there are beautiful static moments in the chaos but the movie is weighed down with too many unnecessary tangents. In particular the dream sequences and the dull as dirt love story between Lois and Kent seem like filler. So the movie is overlong, frenetic, and pretty soulless despite the attempts to shoehorn some sort of moral compass into the movie. However, unlike many, I really enjoyed the soundtrack.

I just want to go on record and say that I really, surprisingly, enjoyed Affleck’s angry, older Bruce Wayne. Here’s a version of Wayne that uses his playboy lifestyle to deal with his demons. He’s boozy, he sleeps around, and he’s utterly jaded. It was fantastic, especially compared to Cavill’s jerk of a Superman. In every scene his contempt for the puny mortals he deigns to saves radiates. He has no joy in anything.

Also, I liked Eisenberg’s Luthor. It was refreshing in a movie that is so grim and dour to have a little bit of crazy. Plus, watch his face in his scenes. It’s kind of amazing the emotion his face can convey in those quiet scenes. I fully expected to hate him.

Lastly, Wonder Woman is fan-freaking-tastic when she enters the fray. I wish there were more of her in the movie. Even though she’s a warrior and a meta-human she brought a joy to the movie that had been lacking. Finally someone who enjoys the battle!

Upcoming Movies

Civil War: I’ve already purchased tickets to Civil War (we’re going May 8). This could be a misstep for Marvel, especially on the heels of the amazing Winter’s Soldier. I’m not wishing for a misstep, mind you, I’m concerned about all the freaking characters. If someone major doesn’t die, then this movie will not matter.

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse: As much as I love the X-Men, I cannot get into this hipster young who’s who of Hollywood cast. So, pass. When they reboot in five years and/or add Arcade as a villain, I’ll be interested.

Assassin’s Creed: This is a no brainer. I will go see it no matter what the reviews say. It’s a bummer I have to wait until December.

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

Wizard Magazine 97… 17 years later!

Soundtrack:

(saw this band WED night)

Wizard%20Magazine%2097_zpsurf4hph3.jpg

So, I picked up the above Wizard magazine with my recent Mile High Comics order ($1.45). The lady and I had a blast THURS night going through it and remembering our own 4ish year subscription c. 1998-2001. I took some notes.

How weird was it that there were Wizard Pen Pals… publish some 30+ year old dood’s address right next to a 12 year old boy or 14 year old girl. Seems so foreign today. But then there is the internet, so now I am not sure which one is creepier.

LETTER ART.

Wizard%20Magazine%2097a_zpsjdiw82sb.jpg

Man I used to love the letter art. I actually had a letter art published in Wizard c. 1999-2000. I forget which issue and I never saved a copy (sans a clipping, but I cannot find it), but it was a drawing of Milk and Cheese and they were looking to booze up and bash Fathom. I signed it with the lady’s name thinking that Wizard was more likely to publish the art if they thought a girl did it.

Hmmm… there is no way that Battle Chasers will come back around. Page 24 gives Battlechasers #6 a thumbs down for the months of delays and only 12 pages of Joe Mad!

Page 30 Laura Croft vs Red Monika (Battlechasers) in LAST woMAN STANDING. Hahaha boobs they be a flying!

STRIP TEASE- Usagi Yojimbo “Netsuke.” This was the reason I bought the magazine… if I ever get around to binding my Usagi run, I want to source as many oddball pieces as possible on the cheap, like this 3 page full color story. I think the full color stories will break up the black and white nicely (e.g. I also picked up Doomsday Squad #3 for the same reason). I used this order to picked up 10 Usagi pieces, some of which are only covers.

Wizard%20Magazine%2097b_zpsxvvii0kn.jpg

Wizard%20Magazine%2097c_zpscq0bhyus.jpg

Wizard%20Magazine%2097d_zpsbjfxwrpc.jpg

Wizard%20Magazine%2097e_zpsfhyreqpu.jpg

CASTING CALL...remember when we used to sit around and speculate about who would play what comic character? If only there were good comic book movies... hm

Page 88 DRAWING BOARD… I wonder how many artists broke into the industry during the life of Wizard magazine?

Page 97 the SPIDER GIRL 1/2 coupon is still attached. Man, I always sent those in when I was living out in Montana. I think I finally donated a box of Wizard 1/2 issues when we moved from Montana to Louisiana. Ahh nostalgia :cloud9:

TOP 10 LISTS

Wizard%20Magazine%2097f_zps6hdt7usp.jpg

Wizard%20Magazine%2097g_zpsbacfo9ta.jpg

Pika pika chu chu! Pokemon was pretty hot in’99 now that I think of it. We watched the cartoon together while we were in college. For Halloween 1999, I cosplayed Ash Ketchum and the lady went as Pikachu. **cough cough** #applytheruleof20 #wasPokemonEvernotHOT? Pokemon will peak again c. 2019-2024. You know when we finally hit full-on Superhero fatigue from all these glorious movies. Also, Manga was big in the late 90s. I never really paid attention. But it is mentioned throughout this issue, e.g. MANGA MANIA or later in the MARKET WATCH section.

Wizard%20Magazine%2097h_zps63fkv16j.jpg

Also X-Men and Spawn were hot. And on a page not shown Wizard did the “5 Years Ago” and it was Spawn and X-Men still. It occurs to me now that the 1990s were dominated by Spawn and X-Men (this issue was reporting on Patrick Stewart as Professor X).

TOP 100 BOOKS FOR JUNE 1999

Wizard%20Magazine%2097i_zpsisrvscik.jpg

WIZARD PRICE GUIDE SEPT. 1999 (for Batman only). This is what we spent the money on… to see our books ebb and flow in **air quotes** real time. I still like this format a lot!

Wizard%20Magazine%2097j_zpspjzdzx43.jpg

Arrived in Madison this evening and secured our weekend pass without any real issue.

I picked about 10 good Usagis & 5 Spawns for my runs.

No underground comix to speak of... No Usagi action figures.

Everything is running smoother than last year and already is better attended.

Comic dealers are on the slim side, but I am going to do some more digging early and then take a few pics, take a step back.

Our panel is 530pm SAT ... Prime time. Opposite an MST3k panel and a David Tennant thing-ee. Should be good.

After doing some shopping - new graphic hat (Joker), new Spawn #200 cover T-shirt, some artist alley swag- we checked into the hotel on some Expedia points & dined at Great Dane brewing.

The lady bought a great R2D2 knit hat and spent 2x me.

Good fun so far! Best, Om

The Lady Speaks. . . Wizard World Madison (Words by the lady; photos Wizard World Flikr; emphasis added)

Flikr album:

This was my first time spending more than one day at a con and I have to say that I loved it! This is probably my new favorite con because it actually does a great many things right and also because the attendance is nowhere near the numbers of Chicago. Although hearing 9,000 people showed up to David Tennant’s Q&A session really put things into perspective.

Om and I were asked back to do our presentation on Wisconsin’s role in the Underground Comix/Publishing/Feminist Comix scene. Last year when we presented we were one of the first panels to go and we were opposite a Supernatural (television show) panel. Our crowd was quite large, the largest of any conference I’ve presented at. This year we were opposite David Tennant (and his legions of fans) and an MST3K/Rifftracks panel. While our numbers were down (22 when the dust settled, as Om likes to say) it was a great quality panel with lots of questions and a surprise attendance by Maggie Thompson (comic book historian, editor of the Comic Buyer’s Guide, Eisner Award winner). Maggie was gracious and she even apologized for her participation, which is just absurd. That is the exact interaction academics crave. It was a joy to speak with her after the panel, too.

As is my habit, I’m going to do a bullet point list of my observations:

• For me one of the winners was Wild Bill’s Old Fashioned Soda Pop Co. Here’s the deal, you buy a commemorative aluminum mug (they come in three sizes 20oz for $20 bucks and two styles that held 32oz at $25 and $30) and the day you buy it you get free refills all day long. You can pay an additional $5 to get the next day for free, too. The soda varieties were Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Root Beer, Diet Root Beer, Vanilla Soda, Black Cherry Soda, and Birch Beer. They were set up keg style on the side of the booth so you could just wander up and fill up as much as you wanted and bypass the line. If you wanted ice, however, you had to wait in line. But really the soda was cold enough without ice. Anyway, if you figure that the venue was charging $4.50 for plastic 16oz bottles of soda and water, you could see how the $20 mug was deal. By the middle of Saturday, I’d say easily half of the people on the floor were carrying these mugs. It was my first purchase of Saturday.

• They had Cousin’s subs, a different sandwich/salad booth outside the vending area, and Tim’s Almost Famous BBQ serving food. This meant that you weren’t at the mercy of the venue food. There were also at least two ice cream vendors and one new brewery, Octopi Brewing that was selling beers (this is in addition to the venue’s alcohol sellers). I have a hard time imagining Wizard World Chicago allowing that much outside food into the con.

• There was also a bulk chocolate seller and a roasted nut vendor. The smells of those nuts was enticing. I managed to resist both of these, however. I managed to find Tea and Absinthe and was able to purchase some English Caramel tea plus a couple of diffusers.

• The seating/resting area was pitiful. It simply wasn’t large enough for the volume of people which meant people were recombobulating their stuff in the middle of aisles where room could be found. Or, they were rearranging in the bathrooms which aren’t that large to begin with, although larger than the ones at Chicago.

• This con had the most variety of cosplayers that I’ve ever seen. Yes, Doctor Who was dominate but that makes sense given that Alex Kinston (River Song on Doctor Who) and David Tennant were both at this con. Besides a myriad of Doctors there were dozens of women dressed as the Tardis and a few Weeping Angels.

• But beyond that there were Dr. Frankenfurters, several Mythbusters, Fry from Futurama, Anime characters, Halo, a squad of Hydra soldiers, one incredibly bad Doc Oc, several Reys (this made me happy to see), Stormtroopers, at least one Kylo Ren, a few Jawas, Assassin’s Creed characters, Homestuck cosplayers, Pokemon, Princess Bride and Dread Pirate Roberts, Fallout, Bioshock Infinite, Disney princesses, Inside Out characters, some Steampunk and some Steampunk variants of other characters, Supernatural cosplay (which I maintain is the easiest in the world), and at least one man was George R. R. Martin (unless of course it was actually him).

• Firefly/Serenity was also very popular. This probably is due to the fact that Jewel Staith (Kaylee) was on site for the weekend. She also had a Q&A in the arena but I didn’t hear any numbers regarding attendees. I imagine it was well-attended.

• There were several women cosplaying as R2-D2 (myself included) which mostly consists of the skater dress over leggings or the tank top with a skirt. In my case, it was the R2-D2 hoodie over R2-D2 leggings accompanied with an R2-D2 beanie and jewelry.

• On the superhero cosplay side there were Deadpools, SpiderMan, Wonder Woman (and gender swapped variant), Wolverin (Hugh Jackman leather jacket variety), Rogue, Elektra, some lazy Captain Americas (hoodie and blue pants), She-Hulk, Hulk, Harley Quinn (naturally), and at least one Iron Man. If there were any Batman, Superman, or Jokers they simply didn’t register.

26249263301_d357e641c6_z.jpgMadison-2016_N14A9347 by Wizard World, on Flickr

26289556006_a60bf03481_z.jpgMadison-2016_RI3A9492 by Wizard World, on Flickr

• Overall, the video game with the strongest presence was Fallout. AC has fallen off on the merchandising side. Of course Zelda remains prominent.

• Supernatural’s fandom is still insanely popular. I know it’s entering its 13th season on the CW and the fandom shows no signs of letting up. Supernatural merch was everywhere plus the Impala was on display and there was an entire booth dedicated to Supernatural.

• Game of Thrones is on the wane while parodies of it are still really popular. I myself picked up a t-shirt that is a Fallout/GoT crossover. It says “Nuclear Winter is Coming” in the GoT font but is in the Vault Boy design.

• X-Men merchandise was more visible this year than last year in Madison or Chicago. This makes me happy. I found a classic X-Men lineup shirt to purchase on Friday.

• Spawn shirts exist! After Om had to go and have one shirt custom made and order one from China, Spawn shirts were on sale at Madison. It was only one booth, but this is a good sign.

• Wonder Woman has arrived! While her merch has always been present, you could tell that there was more of it and more variety of t-shirts and accessories. This was great to see. I picked up one Wonder Woman shirt.

• Pop Funko Vinyls continue to dominate the toy scene, coming in second only to Lego. Arguably they are able to get first to market on trends and properties. Prices on the Funko’s continue to vary widely from vendor to vendor so I always suggest you check them all out once and make note of who is selling them for $10 versus the more common $12 or $15 price points. The last one of a figure will be priced much higher than its predecessors. I saw some that were asking $30 simply because it was the last of its figures (this is especially true for anything Nightmare Before Christmas and Doctor Who related). This go around I bought an Evie Frye (Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate).

• BB-8 has arrived! So much BB-8 gear. Bags, wallets, belts, toys, art, clothing. The little droid is popular. It seems that his success has also rejuvenated R2-D2 gear (which makes me so very happy).

• I managed to buy two R2-D2 wallets, two R2-D2 beanies, an R2-D2 baseball cap, a tank with hoodie (also picked up a Spidergwen version), a tank dress, a Christmas tree ornament, and a tote bag.

Still the droid I'm looking for...

25712450883_af21dc3e72_z.jpgMadison-2016_N14A9320 by Wizard World, on Flickr

• Archer had a decent presence in T-Shirts and random accessories. Mostly just the snappier catch phrases “Just the tip,” and “You’re in the Danger Zone” being the two most prevalent. Meanwhile Futurama’s presence is holding steady with Bender continuing to be the most popular plushie.

26289264956_158c1c50f6_z.jpgMadison-2016_N14A9312 by Wizard World, on Flickr

26262763911_0692292c44_z.jpgMadison-2016_N14A9667 by Wizard World, on Flickr

• Speaking of plushies, there was no Neko Atsume gear (which surprises me greatly) but there is a resurgence in Pusheen and Nyan Cat with Hello Kitty’s pop culture cache remaining steady.

• A huge (probably close to a dozen dedicated) variety of jewelry sellers were present. Most were situated in Artists’ Alley and I wonder how that affects their sales. Usually the jewelry vendors tend to be one of three types: the link jewelry, bottle cap jewelry, and resin jewelry. This time those three were represented but there were a ton of epoxy pendants, charm bracelets, high end metal jewelry, and even some stone jewelry. The price point that was most successful was the $20 and those that went higher seemed to struggle a bit.

• Jewelry wise, I ended up buying a Rebel Alliance pocket watch necklace and an Alice in Wonderland pocket watch necklace.

• No journals. Very little leather working in general. Almost no Steampunk and what was there was not very high quality. My theory is twofold: one, Steampunk is played out and two, Steampunk gear is expensive to produce and in order to make money on it you either have to sell mass volumes or set the prices higher than the average con goer will pay.

• This seems to also be a problem in Artists’ Alley. Really cool unique pieces are just too much money so the artists have to rely on volume to make their tables but buyers don’t want to buy something that 100+ other people are also buying. On Friday the artists were very grumpy in general and it wasn’t much fun to walk through. I should add with the exception of the Simpson’s artists who never seemed to be wanting for business. Between the aggressive “Look at my stuff!” and the maudlin “No one appreciates my stuff” it was a bit of a downer. Saturday was a little better, but I didn’t spend much time there. Usually I really dig Artists’ Alley.

• In the end I simply bought School: A Ghost Story graphic novel collecting 1-4. I had bought 1 & 2 at Chicago 2014 so the author/artist Brian Defferding gave me a discount on the collected volume. I still need to pick up volumes 5 and 6.

• Separate from Artists’ Alley they had a huge area set up for caricatures. It seemed to be fairly steady with customers, but Friday was the busier of the two days that I saw. Mostly it provides a really good roadblock.

• The Nightmare Before Christmas collectible scene is still strong with more and more tchotchkes being produced each year. I’m arguing that Pacific Rim is the new The Nightmare Before Christmas with its merchandising and the fact that first gen toys have skyrocketed in price.

• There weren’t a ton of comic book sellers. I imagine that’s good for the ones who are set up but I don’t know that for sure. I picked up an Uncanny X-Men #244 (first appearance of Jubilee) for $15. Om was more successful and I’m sure he’ll fill you in. He did grab me a Pork Roast, Sandman #50, Strangers in Paradise #50, Grendel Black White and Red, and Grendel #10.

• Period Panties rule! I don’t understand how in 2016 men can still be squicked out by the reality that women menstruate. As I was waiting for Om (it was our designated meeting place) I heard so many guys seem almost angry at the very idea of such a booth. Additionally, I don’t understand how so many people have no sense of humor about these panties. Not only are the designs fantastic (Malice in Underland, RedRum, Wonder Womban, there’s a Cthulhu style, a GoT, a Doctor Who, and other pop culture related themes) but the panties are well made. The designs are screened into fabric as opposed to decals applied which means they’re going to survive washings and aren’t going to flake off. The bands at the waist and the legs don’t dig in nor are they loose and prone to rolling. The front panel into the panty liner is black. I mean, they are just brilliant! And at 3 for $30 ($12 individually) you can stock up. Women spend that much on poor quality Victoria’s Secret underwear. I know, I’ve done it.

• Bonus! The Period Panties were right next to the chocolate by the pound and roasted nut vendors. lol

• Some non merch booths included Ecto-One, a series of movie motorcycles (Batman, Captain America, and two others), the Supernatural Impala, A Shaggy Van (I’m not sure what that was about), the R2-D2 builders club, the Lasik Surgery people (hardest working non-pop culture booth in the con scene), an M&M booth (fun fact, a former student was working it), some organization that was taking a teaspoon of blood for research (I participated but Om did not. I feel that as a futurist and a transhumanist I should do this kind of stuff), two booths devoted to heating/cooling pads, one fortune teller, and at least three arcade areas. Dark Souls II was probably the most popular of the offered games, although classic Pac-Man and the arcade X-Men were both consistently occupied.

• There was one booth selling decorative swords, one booth selling real knives and swords, and two booths selling Air Soft pistols. This is a definite down tick from Wizard World Chicago which had so many vendors selling actual weapons. It really bothers me to see so many actual weapons. This is a comic con, not a gun show. I didn’t see the Light Saber guys this go around.

• Strollers remain a giant pain in the butt. I understand these are family events and strollers are useful but when it is so crowded and people have elaborate costumes on and/or are in wheel chairs, it just seems strollers shouldn’t be allowed. In many booths there is no easy way for a stroller to navigate and it sucks to be continually bashed on the back of the legs by someone’s empty stroller.

Well the lady’s write up is pretty extensive, so I am gonna punk out and scan some comics and talk a little about picking comics at WW Madison. Basically, we had free weekend passes and one night on Expedia points... so beyond gas, a little for the hotel, and $7 parking per day we had about $250 to pick (each).

26262760811_c094e3eaa3_z.jpgMadison-2016_N14A9948 by Wizard World, on Flickr

Last year I struggled to spend $100, but there was one dealer with some interesting underground art priced out of my range. He was not there this year. Neither were other Madison people that I met at Mighty Con. This year there was about 8 dealers specializing in comics and perhaps a few more fringe booths. Absolutely no mega key books in the room… no Avengers 1 or up. Not an ASM1, not an X-Men 1. No sir. This was a con for secondary and tertiary keys and run collectors.

Six dealers were pretty decent and I spread my money out between them in $10-30 purchases. A few dealers were the same dealers I can pick for $2 at the bowling alley (banded together to defer the costs of a booth). We arrived about 430pm FRI night to score our weekend passes (as presenters). I tried to shop for undergrounds and other independents on FRI night, making sure to touch base with each booth that had comic books. FRI night was a great night to shop, less pressure, more choice. For example, the lady scored a hand-crocheted R2D2 hat for $25 that would not have made it past SAT. I picked some Spawns and Usagi’s that night and again on SAT.

Our plan SAT was to shop early and then crash in the hotel until about 4pm ish… coming back to prep and deliver our panel. The plan worked perfectly with us bypassing a thousand people with our wrist-bands! Booyah. So SAT morning I went right away to the hard $1-4 box grinding I was too lazy to do FRI night.

25713030654_90e24b4b50_z.jpgMadison-2016_RI3A9558 by Wizard World, on Flickr

I have issues…

26303031546_de5f380e79_z.jpgMadison-2016_N14A9763 by Wizard World, on Flickr

All told, I found Spawn 1 ($10), 229, 238, 240, 242, 243 and bought a NM+ copy of Rust #1 bronze foil (1pg. Spawn preview; $30). I bought Usagi Yojimbo summer special 1, vol1 17, 22, 24, 35, & 38. I also scored vol2 Mirage issues of 7, 8, & 11.

The last issue of Vol 1- Fantagraphics. I found my first two copies within the last few weeks. The last Zato Ino story.

UY38_zpshstftc2u.jpg

This dark blue and black Lone Goat & Kid cover is usually a little tougher in grade. A nice image.

UY24_zpsv1m3wmav.jpg

A komori (bat) ninja cover, this one was needed for the run.

UY22_zpsl9cmqyhd.jpg

This photo-realistic dark cover will be another tough one for hygraders. The scuffing is on the bag… I have a tough time passing these books up for $3-4.

UY35_zpslgz4xqtn.jpg

I was sporting my airbrushed Spawn T every time I could, and from one dealer I really received an education about the Spawn preview books- Rust #1 and Malibu Sun #13. He had 5 copies of Malibu Sun from VF to NM+ ($150-400) and showed me one… WOW that book ‘got a whole lot o Spawn.’ The back cover image is dated 1991 and there is text in there about the book. Supposedly (according to him), Rust #1 predates MS13 by 3 months, but it only has the 1-page black and white preview, the image that would become #2’s cover (he showed me). I negotiated for his 2nd best copy for $140 cash (all I had on me) and then he hit me with the prices. I quick looked up some results (GPAnalysis) and it was hard to argue and so I thanked him profusely for letting me look and retreated. The exchange left me more interested in Malibu Sun #13 than in the past and I am adding that book to my long-term want list.

It's the 1990s all over again at regional cons across America

Spawn1_zpscfh0k919.jpg

Mostly for runs books I was paying $3ish per issue, negotiating in small stacks for a few bucks off. I also bought some dollar readers for the lady and The Massive #4 TPB from Graham Cracker comics ($21).

massive%20tpb4_zpsspf46kps.jpg

I am only about 11 issues from Spawn 1-200 (some 35 or so to be current); and 3 issues from Usagi 1-38 (and probably another 25 or so total). I picked a few spec books… B * tch Planet #1 (Kelly Sue Deconnick; $4) and Outliers #1 that Kickstarter book that I have been finding in long boxes (this time $4). Again, usually negotiating a small amount off the sticker prices. I paid up for the Rust #1 special because I spoke with Bill from Geek Inc (the people behind Mighty Con) about my ‘newfound edumacation’ and we got even more in depth about the Rust special edition. For me, Rust 1 is just a preview, not a first appearance… but I liked talking to him and plucked the better of two copies for $30.

Rust1_zpsahnyczu1.jpg

btchplanet1_zpsifflcu6f.jpg

FINALLY, I picked up a new graphic hat for everyday use (very dark Joker design; $23), two Spawn T-shirts ($48), and a Spidey wallet to REMIND ME of the purpose of this journal and for WHAT I am supposed to be saving ($15).

IMG_20160410_112432_zpswuebao02.jpg

One highlight was Maggie Thompson coming to our panel and putting us over the coals. It was a rite of passage and made the experience end on such a high SAT night. We chatted with her for another 15-20min until the show closed SAT! Her mind is still so young and she has lots of projects going on. Then the lady and I, as is our custom, dined at the local steakhouse Wonder Bar. The lady said it was her best con experience to date and on the whole it is hard to argue.

Until next time, Om

1 1