• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Round 2, Part 14: Which one of these is not like the other one?

Spawn #1 vs Avengers Annual #10 vs Iron Fist #14  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Spawn #1 vs Avengers Annual #10 vs Iron Fist #14

43 posts in this topic

I voted for Spawn #1. Not because it's the best story, first appearance of the most interesting or important character, best artwork, or any of that.

I chose Spawn #1 because at the time, it was far and away the highest selling independent comic book in history and it outsold everything else on the shelves. Whereas prior independent titles like TMNT showed that indie publishers could "make it" without the big two, Spawn showed that a popular creator could not only make it, but could actually steal away a huge chunk of market share and compete within the same distribution channels. Spawn #1 did more to change the way that Marvel and DC treated its creators (to keep them from leaving, for example) than any other single book that I am aware of.

Many of the consequences flowing from Spawn #1 were not "good" for the industry. Unfettered control by creators is often not a good thing, especially when a creator does not have respect for an existing character's prior history and continuity. The release of Spawn #1 and the "brain drain" that Marvel experienced thereafter when others left for Image put tremendous pressure on Marvel to give too much control to artists who were not yet ready for it. Marvel's entire line suffered as an indirect but undeniable result of Spawn #1's success. The "dollar signs" in the eyes of the other creators who fled Marvel to make their millions on their own cookie-cutter mercenary paramilitary team clones on the one hand, and the unfettered control exercised by the creators who stayed with Marvel on the other hand, served as a double-whammy that brought down an entire line of comics published by the biggest dog in the industry.

Another bad effect that Spawn had was that the creators who followed with Image titles, like Whilce Portacio, Rob Liefeld, and the other Image guys, did not have the work ethic or resources that McFarlane did to get their books completed and out the door on time. When nine out of ten of the most anticipated titles each month are shipping late, readers get frustrated and find other places to put their cash -- especially when the remaining dreck on the shelves isn't worth reading, because all of the top talent went to the company that can't get its books out on time.

But whether the consequences were good or bad, it is undeniable that Spawn #1 taught us all more about what does and does not work within the industry than IF#14 or Av. Annual #10 did. And this discussion leaves aside entirely the additional factor of licensed goods and products. Spawn sold millions of dollars worth of toys, Pogz, cards, T-Shirts, etc., and even had his own (bad) major motion picture. Neither Sabretooth nor Rogue can claim that.

In my mind, it's no contest. Spawn #1 wins by a landslide -- and this is coming from someone who hated the book.

What he said. thumbsup2.gif

And the winner is:

Iron Fist #14

28 57%

Avengers Annual #10

14 29%

Spawn #1

7 14%

That is sheer insanity! insane.gif27_laughing.gif

you and me accounted for 2 of the 7 votes.. damn all those X Zombies!! frustrated.gif

I was #3. frown.gif I thought FFB would lead us to victory.

sorry.gif

That's what I get for trusting a lawyer 893whatthe.gifpoke2.gif

And the winner is:

Iron Fist #14

28 57%

Avengers Annual #10

14 29%

Spawn #1

7 14%

That is sheer insanity! insane.gif27_laughing.gif

you and me accounted for 2 of the 7 votes.. damn all those X Zombies!! frustrated.gif

I was #3. frown.gif I thought FFB would lead us to victory.

sorry.gif

That's what I get for trusting a lawyer 893whatthe.gifpoke2.gif

Maybe if I had written it before everyone else voted. Spawn #1 probably had zero votes when I wrote my manifesto. yay.gif

i voted after the manifesto. voted for IF 14. so thhppppptttt.... poke2.gif

Yes, IF#14. Really important book. First appearance of a villain that almost no one cares about anymore and who never had much of an effect on the industry except when people thought he might be Wolverine's daddy. I can see how a rational and intelligent person would say that IF#14 is a more important book than the book that rewrote most of the rules on creator rights/compensation for the better part of the decade, and that still has lasting effects today. screwy.gifpoke2.gif

I can see how a rational and intelligent person would say that IF#14 is a more important book than the book that rewrote most of the rules on creator rights/compensation for the better part of the decade, and that still has lasting effects today. screwy.gifpoke2.gif

That would be true if you wanted to place emphasis on the comic that it really doesn't deserve. Most people forget Spawn #1 was very late and came out after Youngblood and Savage Dragon were released. Image was in full swing by the time Spawn came out. The effect on the market had more to do with the Image brand than Spawn itself...

Jim

I can see how a rational and intelligent person would say that IF#14 is a more important book than the book that rewrote most of the rules on creator rights/compensation for the better part of the decade, and that still has lasting effects today. screwy.gifpoke2.gif

That would true if you wanted to place emphasis on the comic that it really doesn't deserve. Most people forget Spawn #1 was very late and came out after Youngblood and Savage Dragon were released. Image was in full swing by the time Spawn came out. The effect on the market had more to do with the Image brand than Spawn itself...

Jim

With 40 NM copies of Spawn #1 and 100 NM+ copies of Savage Dragon #1, I am well positioned for the Image price runup of 2020. grin.gif

i voted after the manifesto. voted for IF 14. so thhppppptttt.... poke2.gif

Yes, IF#14. Really important book. First appearance of a villain that almost no one cares about anymore and who never had much of an effect on the industry except when people thought he might be Wolverine's daddy. I can see how a rational and intelligent person would say that IF#14 is a more important book than the book that rewrote most of the rules on creator rights/compensation for the better part of the decade, and that still has lasting effects today. screwy.gifpoke2.gif

first of all you give me far to much credit, sir. i am barely rational, and my intelligence has been repeatedly called into question by any unfortunate enough to know me well.

that being said, one's personal opinion of the relative worth of a character matters not. Spawn is "Band on the Run" to Sabretooth's "A Day In The Life."

seeing as how you are both intelligent and rational, i am sure you will understand the analogy. if in the unlikely event that i have overestimated you, i will be happy to elaborate

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hi.gif

I don't understand the analogy. confused-smiley-013.gif

He is saying that he likes the Beatles more than Paul McCartney's solo work with Wings. I think he must also be saying that he's never read IF#14.