Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller response to "What's your return policy?"

10 posts in this topic

I get this type of answer all the time from sellers that don't mention their return policy in the ad when I email them about it. It's not quite an answer, but the idea is that these items are sold as-is. Is this a reasonable response?

"Can't say as that I have a return policy. I'm a private collector and not a dealer. I'll accept a return for a good reason, such as finding something wrong with the book that I didn't state in the ad. But I'm very careful about that and have tried very hard to not misrepresent the condition of the book. I will not accept a return because you changed your mind when you got the book. Since grading is subjective you may feel that my VF/NM is a VF-, although I doubt it. I've put up all the scans so that you can make up your mind about the grade yourself, and I won't accept a return if your grading criteria differs. I will say that any flaws the book has are evident in the scans. I hope that doesn't sound harsh and has answered your question. Feel free to ask anything else you may need to make a decision."

"Since grading is subjective you may feel that my VF/NM is a VF-, although I doubt it. I've put up all the scans so that you can make up your mind about the grade yourself, and I won't accept a return if your grading criteria differs."

Not a reasonable return policy in my opinion. I don't buy that 'I'm a collector, not a dealer' excuse as well.

I don't know that I agree with a seller should take back any book based on the fact that the buyer just doesn't agree with the grade. It costs money to have an auction and pay the fees just so someone can look at a book and say "eh I don't like it, give me my money back".

Brian

I did sell comics in the past with little trouble (never had a return for a grade, but I only sold NM books). That was ages ago...has grading really become that strict?

Should I ever venture into selling comics again it will most likely only be slabbed ones.