• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's DUNGEONS & DRAGONS streaming show (2025?)
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. Officially Announced DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Film As Lawsuit Settles

WB president Greg Silverman released this statement about the new DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

“We are so excited about bringing the world of Dungeons & Dragons to life on the big screen,. This is far and away the most well-known brand in fantasy, which is the genre that drives the most passionate film followings. D&D has endless creative possibilities, giving our filmmakers immense opportunities to delight and thrill both fans and moviegoers new to the property.”

Unifying the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS brand under Hasbro means that they have full control of all the properties needed to make the film. No director is currently attached but a spec --script has been completed by David Leslie Johnson who wrote THE CONJURING 2 and WRATH OF THE TITANS.

While I am all for a good fantasy movie based on the first 2 (or was it 3) dnd movies they have to be out of their minds to do this.

Hasbro has a Magic: The Gathering movie in the works as well.

Add the upcoming World of Warcraft movie coming out, and we find gamers are finally going to get their do like super hero fans.

I just hopes these movies based on games are good.

:wishluck:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

A dungeons & dragons movie could work as it is a franchise with a wealth of lore and books, but it has to be high fantasy (LotR, Hobbit, GoT). If the movie is campy in any way it just will not work; in actuality I think it would make a better Cable TV series. The only thing they need to stay away from is the big D&D letters in any title, if they just desperately need to use it should be a very very small tagline of "a D&D adventure" somewhere on the poster.

I remember actually walking out of the theater when I went to the last movie (I think Tom Baker had a small role in it).

I played D&D as a kid and really enjoyed it. Of course there is material for a great trilogy but they need to hire the right creative people to do it.

I just watched the tailer above.... What a piece is . Who put that together and thought for a second it would make anyone want to see the movie....If I paid $7 to see that in the theater I would go looting after to get that money back. Why haven't I seen this movie listed on any "Worst movie of all time lists"

I would love to see someone get a D&D trilogy right. They should watch this movie to see what NOT to do.

the trailer is horrendous, yes. Hopefully that's not what it will look like. I agree with the comment that it would have to be high fantasy. Hard but not impossible to pull off, but do it right and you've got a cash cow franchise for a long time.

the trailer is horrendous, yes. Hopefully that's not what it will look like. I agree with the comment that it would have to be high fantasy. Hard but not impossible to pull off, but do it right and you've got a cash cow franchise for a long time.

Dude. That movie got released. It is one of the 10 worst movies I have ever seen. It had a Wayans brother in it. It had Jeremy Irons looking like he was passing a kidney stone the size of a blueberry the entire movie. It had the dumbest plot and the worst effects. It made a battle between gold and red dragons boring and stupid. I wish I could get Zatanna to mindwipe the fact that I have seen it from my long term memory.

Dude. That movie got released. It is one of the 10 worst movies I have ever seen. It had a Wayans brother in it. It had Jeremy Irons looking like he was passing a kidney stone the size of a blueberry the entire movie. It had the dumbest plot and the worst effects. It made a battle between gold and red dragons boring and stupid. I wish I could get Zatanna to mindwipe the fact that I have seen it from my long term memory.

A friend and I saw that film in theatres.

Jeremy Irons was so over-the-top it was ridiculous.

The story was far to grandiose. The positives: it had some eye candy.

If they do make another D&D film I hope they make something like the Fellowship of the Ring; an old fashioned dungeon exploration.

Saw it when it came out, as well as the prequel. Good? no, but having lived thru all the bad fantasy movies in the 80's (Ator anyone?), I knew what I was in for when I bought the ticket, and I was not disappointed; as opposed to say the spider-man reboot... now that's disappointment.

Yeah -- and I'm pretty sure that Dungeons & Dragons movie single-handedly tanked Thora Birch's career.

She was a child star as Harrison Ford's kid in Patriot Games and Clear & Present Danger, got seriously hot after American Beauty, and then chose _this_ movie as her follow-up.

She lucked out with indie comic film Ghost World the next year & basically hasn't had a high-profile pic since.

Further proof? Her Ghost World co-star was Scarlett Johansson.

lol too funny. I've never seen the movie, but I used to own some artwork relating to its promotion. :insane:

Now with the car commercial bringing back childhood memories, the film moving to another studio this year, could help move this along.

Dungeons & Dragons Movie Reportedly Gets A New -script As Early Casting Begins

Paramount's Dungeons and Dragons movie now has a new -script, and casting is expected to begin soon as the studio is reportedly interested in several A-list actors for the film's male lead.

A big-screen adaptation of the popular tabletop role-playing game has been in the works for a while. Dungeons and Dragons was originally in development at Warner Bros., but was eventually moved to Paramount Pictures, with Chris McKay in talks to direct. David Leslie Johnson (The Conjuring) was hired to pen the -script. In April of last year, Paramount officially confirmed that Dungeons and Dragons was on their slate of upcoming films. Though the movie is expected to release in the summer of 2021, updates on the film's development have been few and far between.

That Hashtag Show reports that Michael Gillio, who was brought in to rewrite Johnson's -script, has turned in a new draft that has studio executives "absolutely buzzing." According to That Hashtag Show, McKay is no longer in line to direct and the film is currently without a director. While Paramount looks for a new director, the search has also begun for the movie's male lead. The studio is reportedly looking at a list that includes Will Smith, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Matthew McConaughey, Jamie Foxx, Joel Edgerton, Dave Bautista, Jeremy Renner, and Johnny Depp.

Many of the names on the list would add a great deal of star power to Dungeons and Dragons' biggest film project to date. The first attempt, made in 2000, was a box office failure, that pulled in $33 million against a budget of $45 million. The movie was followed by two direct-to-DVD sequels, 2005's Wrath of the Dragon God, and The Book of Vile Darkness in 2012.

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount’s ‘DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS’ Gets a New -script, Search for Lead Begins

It seems like Paramount has been working towards getting its live-action adaptation of Dungeons and Dragons going for a long time without getting very far. The studio has a release date set for November 19, 2021 but, at this point, that’s about all they have. It was reported last year that Chris McKay would be helming the project, but at this point the film finds itself without a director and with time running short on getting what will be a VFX-heavy film going in order to deliver on that 2021 release.

While they’ve certainly stumbled out of the blocks, Paramount does seem to be gaining some traction now and looks to be on the way to having things in order for a late-summer/early-fall start of production. Late last month, writer Michael Gillio turned in an updated draft of the -script that had studio execs absolutely buzzing. The studio gave Gillio some notes to take back to his workshop but if all goes well, Paramount will get back to work on finding a director for the project.

Additionally, Gillio’s -script features a male lead for which the studio is targeting major, A-list talent. Once things get rolling, Paramount hopes to land an actor from the following list of talent: Will Smith, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Matthew McConaughey, Jamie Foxx, Joel Edgerton, Dave Bautista, Jeremy Renner and Johnny Depp. That’s quite a list to be sure and depending on when cameras start rolling on the film, several of those actors might not be available. Either way, it’s obvious that the studio sees this film as a major tentpole and believes it will attract big name talent.

Will Smith, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Matthew McConaughey, Jamie Foxx, Joel Edgerton, Dave Bautista, Jeremy Renner and Johnny Depp

My pick for Venger. :smile:

Chris Pine is negotiating a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

Jonathan Goldstein & John Francis Daley will direct a -script they’ve written, based on a draft by Michael Gilio.

Goldstein & Daley had been set in 2019 to direct a film that will feature an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game. Landing Pine, who has been the linchpin of the Star Trek film series for Paramount, is a strong start for what the studios hope will be a new franchise launch. They’re making plans to shoot first quarter of next year in Belfast. Goldstein & Daley were hired off the dark comedy Game Night, and after scripting Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Jeremy Latcham is producing through his deal with studio eOne, Hasbro’s entertainment arm, along with Hasbro’s Brian Goldner.

Like the game itself, mounting a screen version of Dungeons & Dragons has been a battle, including several years in the courts over a rights dispute. Warner Bros and New Line tried several incarnations, including one with Lego Batman helmer Chris McKay. The game has been played by over 40 million since launching 46 years ago and there are videogames and livestream entertainment on Twitch and YouTube.

Pine, who will next be seen in Wonder Woman 1984 and is shooting the Olivia Wilde-directed New Line film Don’t Worry Darling, is repped by CAA and John Carrabino Management.