• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is now the time to be selling Fantastic Four #1?

129 posts in this topic

With the release of the new Fantastic Four movie this weekend, is now the time to be selling Fantastic Four #1?

GPA has been rising on this one as of the last year, but if this movie flops, will it start to trend back downward towards the numbers of the pre-movie hype days?

Discuss! :)

yeah this movie won't help (movie will likely be terrible) or hurt it (FF1's stock is already low) and the best thing that could happen would be for it to tank like a turd and marvel to get the rights back

Thing is, even if it tanks & Fox doesn't touch the characters again, I think the 7-10 year clock starts running after it leaves all theaters before Marvel could even be relatively certain of the rights lapsing (assuming Fox doesn't ask Marvel to buy out the contract or something before then. But with the animosity that appears to exist between the studios, I wouldn't be shocked if Fox just says "*bleep* you guys, wait out the clock on the contract" because it doesn't cost them an extra penny to hold the rights without using them)

Thing is, even if it tanks & Fox doesn't touch the characters again, I think the 7-10 year clock starts running after it leaves all theaters before Marvel could even be relatively certain of the rights lapsing (assuming Fox doesn't ask Marvel to buy out the contract or something before then. But with the animosity that appears to exist between the studios, I wouldn't be shocked if Fox just says "*bleep* you guys, wait out the clock on the contract" because it doesn't cost them an extra penny to hold the rights without using them)

Fox might be dumb, but they're not stupid. They're not going to sit out the rights for another 5+ years just to "hurt" Marvel Studios. The licensing rights have value, and I think after this latest cinematic catastrophe, talks are going to ensue between Disney Marvel Studios and Fox to cut a deal. Geez, the fans alone are going to push Marvel hard in the coming months to make it happen. This isn't just about the FF. It's about the character-rich FF Universe -- particularly Doom, Galactus and the Surfer. And although it's never been publicly clarified, isn't Namor part of the FF film rights package. Can you imagine these supporting characters over at Marvel Studios???

This thread really isn't just about FF1. It's also about FF5, FF48 and possibly FF4.

Anyway, I see the values correcting downward a bit to take the speculators (i.e., short-term collectors) out of the mix (maybe 15%?) but FF is such a loved title that the values aren't going to trank. And I agree with the earlier post that, if anything, these next 12 months are critical to see if Disney Marvel Studios rings the Fox doorbell to have a sit. And if, indeed, a deal is cut, FF1, FF4, FF48 etc. are going to sky-rocket.

Fox might be dumb, but they're not stupid. They're not going to sit out the rights for another 5+ years just to "hurt" Marvel Studios. The licensing rights have value, and I think after this latest cinematic catastrophe, talks are going to ensue between Disney Marvel Studios and Fox to cut a deal. This isn't just about the FF. It's about the FF Universe -- particularly Doom, Galactus and the Surfer. And although it's never been publicly clarified, isn't Namor part of the FF film rights package. Can you imagine these supporting characters over at Marvel Studios???

This thread really isn't just about FF1. It's also about FF5, FF48 and possibly FF4.

Anyway, I see the values correcting downward a bit to take the speculators out of the mix (maybe 15%?) but FF is such a loved title that the values aren't going to trank. And I agree with the earlier post that, if anything, these next 12 months are critical to see if Disney Marvel Studios rings the Fox doorbell to have a sit.

Namor is at Universal (sorta).

And I definitely don't EXPECT Fox to do something so spiteful, but I also wouldn't put it past people in Hollywood that like to routinely having unrinating contests with each other over the most trivial of things just to prove who is more important or the bigger big-shot.

If it bombs and Fox makes a purely business decision (not one borne out of ego or pride), they approach or listen to every potential Marvel offer to find one that works best for them to get something of value out of the rights.

But if someone with authority at FOX decides to be a spiteful or prideful egomaniac because of some grudge with someone at Marvel (or just Marvel), which is not entirely out of the question, then they sit on the rights, claim they're waiting for the air to clear again before they give the property 1 more shot with a "different vision"

Seems to me if a realistic FF movie never pans out, they could always do a superb animated FF movie and Fox can hold on to the rights.

The rights don't work that way. Fox holds Live Action rights, not animated.

What happens to the Black Panther? I have been holding on to my CGC FF52 in hopes of an appearance by him in a movie so I can ring the cash register.

The Black Panther franchise has nothing to do with Fox movie rights.

The Black Panther franchise is already planned by Marvel Studios.

Though Disney would certainly love to have the X-Men rights back... I'm guessing even they don't care about FF rights anymore. This film gives FF movies a 0 for 4 track record... absolutely annihilating the franchise. Nobody will consider making another live-action movie for 20 years... if even then.

The FF movie will tank and be painful to watch.

This. Times a thousand. I fell asleep watching the trailer.

The latest look at Doom had me vomiting... seriously looks like junk... ugh.

what even is this...

91CfcPf.png

The FF movie will tank and be painful to watch.

This. Times a thousand. I fell asleep watching the trailer.

How do you have a movie with a budget of 120+ million with a storyline that's already stood the test of time for 50 years and screw it up. More people will remember The Human Centipede than this movie. I was scrolling through channels last night and landed in the middle of the one with the Silver Surfer. It was horrible too.

Who are these creative artist that create these movies and does anyone on the upper levels realize there are flies circling the poop they're pushing out? You could probably get a 16 year old avid reader to churn out a better movie than the pros are.

I think the jury is still out on FF#1 and FF#5 and maybe FF#48. But FF#4 I think still has lots of leg. The Submariner really isn't only an FF character. He was around long before them. I think he could easily do a solo film. If it tanked, well, that's another story...

I think the jury is still out on FF#1 and FF#5 and maybe FF#48. But FF#4 I think still has lots of leg. The Submariner really isn't only an FF character. He was around long before them. I think he could easily do a solo film. If it tanked, well, that's another story...

Namor rights are murky arent they? like Universal had publishing rights but not doing anything with them so marvel kinda has it?