• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriously, why the hate for...

31 posts in this topic

Iron Man 2 and 3 and Thor: The Dark World? :shrug:

I've seen every single MCU movie in the theatre since the first Thor, and have enjoyed each one just as much as the last. Each has hit on a unique chord that no previous movie has done in the series, and I respect them each hugely for it.

But for some reason, the above three movies get a huge amount of flak, alongside the Incredible Hulk. Now, I can see why the Incredible Hulk didn't win any lifelong fans; Norton underwhelming, mediocre climax, lame villain... But the above three movies don't have those flaws, in my opinion.

Still, the negative opinion seems to be pretty universal, so I wanted to open it up for discussion. I'm sure it's been explained in their respective threads before, but what are the common threads between these three movies that make them less appealing to the general (comic) public than the other 8 MCU movies?

I liked the Incredible Hulk as well as most MCU movies. I have no affection Iron Man 2, 3 or Thor:TDW. In some ways, they represent to me the worst of the "cookie cutter" MCU flicks........placeholders that feel like extended trailers for upcoming movies. I think AoU can fit in this group nicely as well, but you didn't ask about that one.

Just my opinion, but:

IM2-Whilpash sucked, over-blown third act, and more than anything, wasn't as fun as the first one. Could live without the Howard Stark stuff, but that's just me.

IM3-Where to begin.....the Mandarin nonsense, Pepper saving the day, Tony hardly ever actually being Iron Man throughout the movie, but more than anything, TOO CUTE FOR IT'S OWN GOOD. If RDJ wasn't wearing out his welcome in other MCU movies, he officially started to do so here. Again, just my opinion.

Thor:TDW. Please, just tell Natalie Portman to stay home and replace her with a broken toaster who could play the part just as well as she does. And also....the AETHER was just awful. Bonus points for Thor's hammer travelling through dimensions, though. That was cool. And Tom Hiddleston is great as Loki. Of the 3 movies here, I'd prefer to watch this one again over either of the Iron Man sequels.

IM 3-when there's 4 billion Iron Man suits the whole point of IM kinda loses it's luster.

Picture a Spider Man movie where most of New York has spider powers. Yeah.

Iron Man 2 - Felt like the exact same movie as the first one with a different villain.

Iron Man 3 - The BBC should consider suing over this one. I felt like I was watching a bad version of Tomb of the Cybermen from Doctor Who.

Thor 2 - Its hard to like a film if you do not like the main character and actor to begin with

Hulk - Good film all around, maybe the problem here is they went for what felt was a sequel from the Bixby TV series. I like the TV series so no issues with me. Hulk also suffered.

Hulk also suffered from being too close to the bubble of when we were getting a long string of bad superhero films and the genre felt like it was going to die.

The one two punch of Iron Man and Dark Knight saved the genre

IM 3-when there's 4 billion Iron Man suits the whole point of IM kinda loses it's luster.

yup

I prefer IM 2 and its darker tone to the third one. For me, the two Thor films are just as good as each other.

Iron Man 2 and 3 and Thor: The Dark World? :shrug:I've seen every single MCU movie in the theatre since the first Thor, and have enjoyed each one just as much as the last. Each has hit on a unique chord that no previous movie has done in the series, and I respect them each hugely for it.But for some reason, the above three movies get a huge amount of flak, alongside the Incredible Hulk. Now, I can see why the Incredible Hulk didn't win any lifelong fans; Norton underwhelming, mediocre climax, lame villain... But the above three movies don't have those flaws, in my opinion. Still, the negative opinion seems to be pretty universal, so I wanted to open it up for discussion. I'm sure it's been explained in their respective threads before, but what are the common threads between these three movies that make them less appealing to the general (comic) public than the other 8 MCU movies?
- Iron Man 2: I liked it. Not as much as Winter Soldier, Guardians or Iron Man 1. But still enjoyable.- Iron Man 3: I purchased the new Walmart three-pack recently of all the Iron Man movies and watched this again. Although there are some painful scenes (the interaction with the genius kid that doesn't make sense; Stark's big multi-suit fireworks) and disappointments (landing a fantastic actor like Ben Kingsley, and then making his whole appearance meaningless *), there were scenes that were interesting.- Thor: The Dark World: Loki's appearances make this interesting, Cap's brief appearance as one of Loki's illusions was a cool surprise, and some of the Thor-troll fight scenes were fantastic. But something about all the Jane Foster scenes and the villains didn't make this come across as strong for me. Not horrible. I just haven't had the desire to watch it again.[*]

Marvel's One-Shot 'All Hail The King' ends up being the real Mandarin wanted Trevor Slattery brought to him for punishment. But with some of the hints dropped by Ben Kingsley directly, what if he was the real Mandarin pretending to be an actor so he could observe Tony Stark first-hand and learn about the man who had threatened him so openly? (shrug) Then it was him that issued the order for Jackson Norriss to break him out of prison.

(5) 2014 - Marvel One-Shot - ALL HAIL THE KING... by aquiestajesus

yup

Shane Black is capable of working on superior films "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" (four stars) and creator of the Lethal Weapon franchise, but I didn't mind IM3 descent into silliness at the end. He usually, sets a unique tone to his movies even the most talented filmmakers can't. I guess he's returning to the Predator franchise (he was an actor in the original) to reboot it with a sequel. Except it to have potty-mouth dialouge and take place around Christmas.

that IM3 film is a complete mess. I would need to watch it again to break down every single mistake but most folks have higlighted the key issues (too many iron men, not enough RDJ in the suit, the kid scenes, the Mandarin, Pepper getting powers)

Thor 2 - Its hard to like a film if you do not like the main character and actor to begin with

Thor 2, and 1, are perfectly cast imo. You couldn't cast a better Thor, Odin, Loki. Enjoyed both and looking forward to the next.

Thor 2, and 1, are perfectly cast imo. You couldn't cast a better Thor, Odin, Loki. Enjoyed both and looking forward to the next.

I really like Chris Hemsworth as Thor. But Marvel missed the chance for someone earlier that could act, was rugged and large enough to fit the role, and was steeped in the mythology.

tumblr_mc2r7lN6ON1r6mgsco3_500.jpg

thor-horz.jpg

that IM3 film is a complete mess. I would need to watch it again to break down every single mistake but most folks have higlighted the key issues (too many iron men AGAIN!, not enough RDJ in the suit, the kid scenes, the Mandarin, Pepper getting powers)

Iron Man 3

Yep, I hated all of the above mentioned and let's not forget my most hated scene: the tech geek in the van who idolizes Tony so much he cuts his hair the same AND has to have a tatoo of Tony's face. Ultimate lameness in my opinion.

I also really disliked the crumbly Iron Man suits. Crumbling into pieces for the sake of humor. Seems a little kid can barely touch the thing and pieces are flaking off.

Oh and the silly electrical "barrel of monkeys" plane rescue. :P

IM3 is one of my most disliked Marvel movies, yet somehow did phenominally well at the box office.

Iron Man 2

We had already seen a villain make a bigger and better iron suit in the first film. I want to see something different. I do not understand why the villains have to have similar origins. More Iron men suits. I just did not like it. 4 out of 10.

Thor the Dark World.

6 out of 10. I liked the first Thor movie, this one was just filler to me. You can take this film completely away and I don't feel I have missed anything.

The Incredible Hulk

I still have yet to see a really good Hulk film. The movie makers do not get the character of the Hulk yet: he defeats his enemies by strength and sheer defiant will by getting angrier and thus stronger to defeat them. I want to see incredible feats of strength. The hulk certainly would never defeat the Abomination by choking him out with a chain. Really? The chain wouldn't break to bits?

The best I have seen is from Ang Lee's film where the Hulk threw a tank over the sand dunes, and possibly when the Hulk punched the giant alien flying thing in the Avengers.

I didn't care for Iron Man 3, but I thought Iron Man 2 was interesting; I thought that Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke and Gary Shandling were funny villains, and I liked the New York World's Fair setting. The biggest problem in that movie is that the action scenes seem heavily edited and lack any tension or suspense. But I liked the cast and the actors, and with better pacing and editing, it would be a much better movie.

I had no real problems with Thor 2, but again, there were some editing problems that messed up the action scenes. But it was a good movie.

And I've never understood the dislike for The Incredible Hulk(not the first Ang Lee misfire, but the one with Ed Norton). It's a really fun movie. I think the biggest disadvantage that film had is that it was released smack between Iron Man 1 and The Dark Knight, and it got lost in the shuffle.