• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriously, why the hate for...

31 posts in this topic

Iron Man 2 was a decent movie, and Whiplash was a cool villain, but he's defeated waaayyyy too easily. There were scenes with the Iron Monger that were honestly suspenseful. That was never the case with Whiplash.

Iron Man 3 was also good, and the Extremis storyline was cool, but I could have done without the hokey Mandarin storyline. It didn't ruin the movie, but didn't add to it, and Ben Kingsley would have made a good serious Mandarin.

The Iron Man movies, I thought 2 was ok, but 3 was bad.

I'm probably not as well-versed in Iron Man lore as others, so I could be way off.

The one thing I didn't like about the second one was Whiplash, and the fact that Justin Hammer was just kind of. . . there. I probably would have done an Extremis story in the second one (which would have worked with the while Stark Expo thing) and had Hammer be the main antagonist, instead of a supplementary character to Vanko's needs (Vanko was a physicist. . . I'm not sure that necessarily makes him an engineer and a computer hacker). I mean, Hammer was a pretty important character through "Demon in a Bottle" and "Armor Wars," right? Why would he play second fiddle to nobody like Whiplash? It would have been sufficiently different from the first, and moved the story along.

Then, in the third one, give me the actual payoff to The Mandarin, linking activities back to the first movie (he was working with Stane directly and covertly using Hammer). No kid buddy.

I didn't mind the second Thor movie, either, though someone saying it was a placeholder, I could see that. I think the Thor movies have been the weakest of the group, outside of Hulk movies, of course.

If you're going to see a movie with the mindset that you're going to find flaws in the movie, you're going to find them. My approach is to simply go see the movie and enjoy what I can and be entertained. All I expect is to be entertained. I won't agonize over things that some people find wrong. If I'm entertained, then I'm not going to let minor details ruin it for me.

I go see these types of movies with a friend, who's not into comics (my wife refuses to see these kinds of movie). He enjoyed them for what they are-comic book movies. I think as fans, we tend to be overly critical of comic book movies. It's not high art, it's entertainment. If it's not a stinker, sit back and enjoy it. Watch it for what it is.

If you're going to see a movie with the mindset that you're going to find flaws in the movie, you're going to find them. My approach is to simply go see the movie and enjoy what I can and be entertained. All I expect is to be entertained. I won't agonize over things that some people find wrong. If I'm entertained, then I'm not going to let minor details ruin it for me.

I go see these types of movies with a friend, who's not into comics (my wife refuses to see these kinds of movie). He enjoyed them for what they are-comic book movies. I think as fans, we tend to be overly critical of comic book movies. It's not high art, it's entertainment. If it's not a stinker, sit back and enjoy it. Watch it for what it is.

I can agree with you. I do admit I am very critical of movies and perhaps I have unrealistic expectations. I freely admit I am analyzing things in movies and wondering to myself "does that scene really need to be there?" Or I ask "is there a better way to do what they were trying to do?".

Above I mentioned the scene in Ironman 3 re: the tech guy in the van. To me it would have been far better to just have that guy mention how Tony is his idol and it is why he got into tech stuff. Tony then asks to use the equipment and the guy says "it would be an honor". You accomplish the same plot result without resorting to the ultra cheesy "I have your face tatood on my body". I hate that kind of stuff. Cheap cheesy scenes fabricated in an attempt at humor and it makes me cringe.

You accomplish the same plot result without resorting to the ultra cheesy "I have your face tatood on my body". I hate that kind of stuff. Cheap cheesy scenes fabricated in an attempt at humor and it makes me cringe.

this is what I hated about IM 2, 3 (2 more than 3) and Thor 2. I thought they went out of there way to try to be funny when to me it came off cheesy...or just :eyeroll:

I loved em all,even the Hulk movie. :cloud9:

+1

I'm with this group.

I've been waiting my lifetime to see this kind of stuff in live action. So it's all good!! Some better than others, and yes there's the occasional :facepalm: moment.

Seriously, I can have respect for all opinions but how many of you liked everything, in every comic? Sometimes there were stinkers, cheesy cornball moments, lame villains, quickly ended wrap-up to a long awaited battle, etc....

Some things I could see more of:

Any shot of Asgard, Kirby-esque Cosmos or Rainbow Bridge

Natasha red dress IM2

The Destroyer

Cap giving a kid a +glance or word

New IM suit ways of planned install, take off

Black Widow strutting

Mjolnir against any Norse mythology or over-sized character

Witty banter between heroes

Stan Lee popping up anyplace, anytime.....great homage to The Man

Jokes about hispanic Scott Baio bad tattoo

Everyday relationship problems stumping heroes just as much as me

Thor and Selvig tossin' 'em back

Some things I hope to not see, ever again:

Tony curse at kids IM3

Spider-man attempt to Tony Manero walk/dance

Trevor Slattery's Ole Ole song or green fog wave off

Justin Hammer intro dance (although once was kind of funny)

Eric Selvig pantsless

Any scene involving a Racoon and shower, or Kree and draining tub

Dance-off to save a planet, Bro'

Any lame attempt that denigrates the FF

Killian's enormous brain

The creature that ate Gary Shandling, freakin nasty chins man!