• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan Expo Canada? A comic book con joke

40 posts in this topic

It considers itself 5 cons in one: Comics, Sci fi, Horror, Anime and Gaming. I see several other shows that are discussed here months or longer before they start. Nothing for this one.

Yes, you see some boardies discuss other shows and some promoters. The show is under new management and I only see boardie threads in the SS section. You could always post in the thread with updates leading up to the show. The comic sales is a very small part of this show. There are plenty of artists which is why you'll see more about it in the SS section.

If you change the name of the thread in the first post, and include the dates so people know when it is, then add a link to the home page, you suddenly have an event thread. I'll start a thread if I know about a show, but as many of us are not Canadian we tend to miss shows north of the border.

As it stands you're not really selling this one.

The promoters also appear to focus their time on advertising through more popular social media. Let's be realistic, outside of those that are working the show in some capacity (whether they have booths, or helping out at booths, or working for Informa), how many of the 100000+ people are from these boards? 100-200? Less? More?

How many are on Facebook or Twitter? I'd focus more on those people, if I wanted to attract more people to attend. It becomes easier to for people to "Share" or "Retweet" posts, to entice their friends or family. Or their friends can also share/retweet, to get their friends interested.

That being said, are you looking to see any comic guests? Personally, I've never met John Cassaday, so I'm quite excited about seeing him. I've met Jae Lee in the early 90's, but haven't seen him since. As for Celebs, Hayley Atwell, Ming-Na Wen, Mike Tyson, and maybe Billie Piper.

Well at least the Fan Expo Toronto glossy flyers are even distributed out West at the LCS in Vancouver, BC. Heard that the new corp. group that took over is poor at returning emails or calls from potential vendors from 3 months ago.

I am more stoked about this one above others this year. I think there will be dealers with better inventory than the cons closer to home. Yes it could be more of a comic book convention but that's the case with most cons these days.

I am not looking forward to the crowds so I might go on Thurs or Fri instead.

Similar to Western Canada for COMIC focussed pop culture shows:

Vancouver, BC

Heritage Hall comic swap about 40 tables but September, 2015 comicon will be half-sized as big vendors all drive up to Red and White (see below). 4 times/year.

Vancouver Comic Show of 100 vendor's tables, 4 times in 2015 but perhaps 3 shows in 2016.

Calgary, AB

Newer comic swap meet about 40 tables, not sure how many times per year as just starting up. Not to be confused with their flea markets where some back issues are sold also.

Red and White Show, September annual show. Big 100 tables.

CGC on site grading appears to be happening.

Not at FanExpo.

Jeff...you ruined my dreams. Just realized it is for submitting only:(

Sorry dude. I don't think you'll ever see on site grading in Canada.