• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It Follows, and other horror movies that annoyed you

78 posts in this topic

Anyone see Funny Games?

Definitely a happy ending in that one lol

worth checking out?

I saw the American remake...it's worth checking out only if you like seeing psychopaths mentally torture a couple and their child over the course of a few hours. Repugnant film. Doesn't mean it wasn't compellingly acted--it certainly was, with Tim Roth, Naomi Watts, and particularly Michael Pitt putting in terrific performances--but this is the kind of film that I suspect does more harm than good.

Blue Ruin... while technically not "horror" but still horrific in parts... was an exceptional movie. On Netflix still I think.
Oh man, was 'Blue Ruin' freaky good or what? Dark, dark storyline, jawdropping visceral in parts, but the entire thing was a study in empathy and its consequences. Just brilliant, end to end.

I'll say this... Think of any movie greats that tend to stay with you for years or decades. Godfather, Dearhunter, Taxi Driver, Memento. Pick one, whatever, doesn't matter. Blue Ruin will give it a run for the money. Seriously.

Blue Ruin... while technically not "horror" but still horrific in parts... was an exceptional movie. On Netflix still I think.
Oh man, was 'Blue Ruin' freaky good or what? Dark, dark storyline, jawdropping visceral in parts, but the entire thing was a study in empathy and its consequences. Just brilliant, end to end.

I'll say this... Think of any movie greats that tend to stay with you for years or decades. Godfather, Dearhunter, Taxi Driver, Memento. Pick one, whatever, doesn't matter. Blue Ruin will give it a run for the money. Seriously.

+2

This was one of the best, most clever, entertaining and genuinely creepy movies I've seen in a long, long time. The synthesized music, the "jump out" scares, the confusing "what time period are we in" feeling.

This guy has a pretty good theory/analysis of the movie that changes the feel of the movie.

I loved this movie. And I saw posts regarding Donnie Darko (I'm catching up) and just figured I'd say - that's my favorite movie. :cloud9:

I liked "It Follows." Anyone looking for an explanation for horror fiction is chasing their own tail. The concept for this film was different, and that's not easy in horror. Wasn't great, but it kept my attention. I forgot it quickly soon after though...it wasn't disturbing enough to linger with me like great horror does.

The best horror film of the last decade (to me ;) ) comes from the French... "Inside".

Or as it is known over there..." À l'intérieur ".

There is a full length copy of it in its original French language on YouTube... but if you struggle with English as I do, there is a dubbed version out there.

This movie, to me, was truly shocking. Terrifying at times. Just didn't pull a single punch.

Great horror flick! :applause:

Another one is High Tension.

Check out "Grace" if you get a chance. I used to work with the director's brother. Pretty good movie.

I liked "It Follows." Anyone looking for an explanation for horror fiction is chasing their own tail. The concept for this film was different, and that's not easy in horror. Wasn't great, but it kept my attention. I forgot it quickly soon after though...it wasn't disturbing enough to linger with me like great horror does.

Oh, I wasn't looking for an explanation. I just loved it so much. I Googled the trailer to share with friends and started clicking on the videos to see "theories of the creature."

I cant underscore how much I enjoyed this movie.

Oh, I wasn't looking for an explanation. I just loved it so much. I Googled the trailer to share with friends and started clicking on the videos to see "theories of the creature."

Harvey, you may appreciate this...

Here's why you missed the scariest part of It Follows

Sweet! Thanks for sharing! :cool:

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I found it so refreshing that it wasn't just a gorefest that is so common in horror films. It was just a creepy movie. Session 9 is similarly a movie that is just creepy with no gore.

No sweat. I actually didn't notice most of what the article mentioned, definitely adds a cool factor to the movie, but still doesn't redeem itself for me. I REALLY wanted to enjoy this film. I got pretty excited after reading reviews, and watching trailers, but felt really let down after watching it, so maybe my expectations were just too high. I do, however, respect the fact that It doesn't rely on gore and jump scares to be scary, which is actually a major reason why I wanted to like the film.

Harvey, you may appreciate this...

Here's why you missed the scariest part of It Follows

Love this article.