• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

Hey Pemart1966

This is from 1945, early years in Looney Tunes history. These were produced as tie ins to promote Omar Bread. The series was reprinted under the 'Hancok Oil' banner later in the same decade. The paper stock on covers of these are the same as the interior, and they are thin. Which explains why they are tough in grade. I only collect the Looney Tunes on these, but they seldom come up for auction alone (there have been lots featuring D**k Tracy, Orphan Annie, Woody Woodpecker among others with the LT issues, but i've passed). I know, i could always buy the lots and flip the others, but out side of Ciorac who is a big D**k Tracy fan and would gladly buy 'em from me i'm sure :baiting: I don't know of any Boardies who collect the other characters.

As for reprints, these maybe original stories for these books. I don't have every issue of LT or Four Color featuring the Warners clan, but based on what info i could find about the series, there is no mention of these being reprint material. Maybe our resident Promotional comics experts (Boot and Dr. Love) can be of more help in this dept.

Another fun fact about the series, which featured said featured character in the lead story, and Turban wearing hero Omar in the second(who controls the winds trough a golden wheat kernel (hey, gotta tie in bread to him somehow ), i've read somewhere Omar may have been the first Arab hero in comics.

Some interior pages for your enjoyment

IMG_1535_zpsris7sxal.jpg

IMG_1538_zpsjcbnn3vw.jpg

Sagii - thanks for the additional info!

As for Omar - he looks more like a young Archie Andrews (freckles and all) than Omar lol

The stars have been in alignment as i have recently scored some more of the hard to find Looney Tunes 'Super Book of Comics'(Omar ed.)issues, snagging them shortly after they were listed on eBay. Two are in transit to me, and i will post soon after receiving them, but wanted to :bump: this thread in the meantime with one of my favorite LT&MM covers. Who is more cool and confident than Bugs?

Looney%20Tunes%20amp%20Merrie%20Melodies%2056_zpsaeegvmho.jpg

So happy to have nabbed this one recently. These promotional Super-Books are hard to come by(at all) let alone high grade copies. Just look at the 'whites' on Bugs! :cloud9:

Don't have too many more to go to have the complete Looney Tunes set on this run.

Super-Book%20of%20Comics%20Omar%2014_zpsx6gzn0dv.jpg

:whee: 73320059_0b27b56a56_b.jpg' alt='2862happydance-thumb.gif.23163b0539f4613d605203ebdbd358bb.gif' alt=':whee:'> 73320059_0b27b56a56_b.jpg'>

This BB is cheering for Michigan State.

Even Batman is cheering for the Spartans.

23630082236_8274019494_b.jpg

I'll save this one in case they lose (how we felt after the Nebraska game).

14639323773_e892925080_o.gif

Great cover BB, and that short was one of my faves. Bugs influenced Puss in Boots from Shrek with that scene.

On another note, Yellow Kid if you're reading this, check your PM, thanks to your luck and a little insomnia last night something will soon be off my sig line want list below :whee:

Sure you can tell by the thread I'm teasing it in. Happy belated birthday present to myself. And of course it'll hit the boards soon..

Thank you! A d you can show those Christmas covers anytime! Sweet!

OK, let's show off a few more:

BBCF1a_zpsjkcmusjm.jpg

BBCF1b_zpszab0bc2a.jpg

BBCF2a_zpsvzmdbp8a.jpg

BBCF2b_zpsoqefqear.jpg

My copy of #3 is missing a chunk off the front cover, I really should upgrade it. If anybody has a copy handy, please post it!

BBCF4a_zpsecmfkhki.jpg

BBCF4b_zpsrjn8nntc.jpg

I'll work my way a little further down the run in a day or two.

Thank you! A d you can show those Christmas covers anytime! Sweet!

OK, let's show off a few more:

BBCF1a_zpsjkcmusjm.jpg

BBCF1b_zpszab0bc2a.jpg

BBCF2a_zpsvzmdbp8a.jpg

BBCF2b_zpsoqefqear.jpg

My copy of #3 is missing a chunk off the front cover, I really should upgrade it. If anybody has a copy handy, please post it!

BBCF4a_zpsecmfkhki.jpg

BBCF4b_zpsrjn8nntc.jpg

I'll work my way a little further down the run in a day or two.

:applause: beautiful OtherEric! Take your time, Christmas is still days off, build to a slow boil while the rest of us enjoy looking.

Interesting thing about the pre 60's Looney Tunes comics : Porky is obviously the "no.2 man". Always figuring squarely at the center of attention with Bugs when they were featured together on a cover. Daffy is rarely on any of the group covers from this time period, and on the ones he was, it's usually on the back cover shot. Ask any one today who is no.2 after Bugs in the LT canon and Daffy would most surely be the answer ( not question of favorite, but hierarchy).

Makes me wonder if Dell avoided pushing Daffy at that time because of Donald maybe? Or did Daffy pull past Porky because of the reruns of the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer shorts overtime, after these books were released? hm

Interesting thing about the pre 60's Looney Tunes comics : Porky is obviously the "no.2 man". Always figuring squarely at the center of attention with Bugs when they were featured together on a cover. Daffy is rarely on any of the group covers from this time period, and on the ones he was, it's usually on the back cover shot. Ask any one today who is no.2 after Bugs in the LT canon and Daffy would most surely be the answer ( not question of favorite, but hierarchy).

Makes me wonder if Dell avoided pushing Daffy at that time because of Donald maybe? Or did Daffy pull past Porky because of the reruns of the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer shorts overtime, after these books were released? hm

I'm not sure why Daffy got short changed in the Looney Tunes issues and the giants, but Mr. Duck sure did. Daffy didn't even have his own feature in LT/MM for ages, even when they were going so far as to invent new series such as Pat, Patsy, and Pete or Kandi the Cave Kid to fill pages in the early issues.

I'm not sure why Daffy got short changed in the Looney Tunes issues and the giants, but Mr. Duck sure did. Daffy didn't even have his own feature in LT/MM for ages, even when they were going so far as to invent new series such as Pat, Patsy, and Pete or Kandi the Cave Kid to fill pages in the early issues.

A mystery we will have to leave to ponder for now. hm

On another note, great Christmas covers on display there sir! :applause: