• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,062 posts in this topic

Here's a scan of my Four Color 317 which is the eighteenth Four Color entitled Bugs Bunny:

02-08-2012113309PM.jpg

For whatever reason this issue was also subsequently classified by Dell as Bugs Bunny 1.

(shrug)

Love that one Hep, nice copy and one of the funnier covers.

Here's a scan of my Four Color 317 which is the eighteenth Four Color entitled Bugs Bunny:

02-08-2012113309PM.jpg

For whatever reason this issue was also subsequently classified by Dell as Bugs Bunny 1.

(shrug)

Looks like it may have been given that designation at the time: Note the B.B. 1 in small type under No. 317. hm

Spent more than I wanted, but that's what you have to do when books like this come up for sale. And I've been on the hunt for a nice one for about 10 years.

BugsLF8.jpg

Lovely book! Super tough in nice shape.

Anyone got FC 33 to show?

Yay! I have a super valuable Bugs Bunny number one issue therefore. It's yours for $85,000, but only because I like you.

:)

We had an interesting discussion over in the Four Color thread about whether it was possible to make sense of the numbering when Dell transitioned some of the titles from the Four Color series to their own books. It works for a few -- notably Uncle Scrooge -- but is tough to figure out for others, like Donald Duck.

It doesn't seem to work for Bugs either, although he seems like an odd case because he continued to have FC issues even after his own numbered series began. At least, that's what Overstreet seems to indicate. It looks like the first BB issue (numbered 28) was published in between FC 432 and 498.

Or if we rule out FC 498 and later Bugs FCs as BB Albums -- arguably a different series, that would give us (I think!) 28 Bugs FCs prior to his own series. In that case, Dell was only off by one and should have made the first issue of his own series issue 29 (instead of 28).

But that leaves FC 317 as having no real significance other than, maybe, as the ghost of an ultimately abandoned plan to transition Bugs to his own series about a year and a half earlier than they did.

But that leaves FC 317 as having no real significance other than, maybe, as the ghost of an ultimately abandoned plan to transition Bugs to his own series about a year and a half earlier than they did.

Alright then. I'll drop my asking price to $75,000.

"Show Us Your Ducks" :applause:

I posted them in the "Duck" thread years ago. Here are six more:

19-12-2011114138PM.jpg

19-12-2011114144PM.jpg

10-06-201245039PM.jpg

10-06-201245043PM.jpg

10-06-201245047PM.jpg

10-06-201245051PM.jpg

:cool:

Beautiful Duck Books Hep. Always appreciated that 'waiter cover' issue. Bold white copy there (thumbs u

Alright then. I'll drop my asking price to $75,000.

Are you by any chance related to Harley? hm

While I've bought a lot of comics including perhaps some of the Daffys from Harley over the years, we're not related. The Bugs Bunny 1 I bought off the wall at Dragon Lady Comics here in Toronto around thirteen years ago.